What ever happened to the butterfly knife?

This is a discussion on What ever happened to the butterfly knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; does anyone carry a butterfly knife. i used to have a bunch of them when i was in highschool. i loved to flip those things ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

does anyone carry a butterfly knife. i used to have a bunch of them when i was in highschool. i loved to flip those things around, it was entertainment for a young mind, but nowthat i'm older i kind of miss them. i wish i had kept a few. how about it. lets hear what you think of them. i'm considering purchasing one. what are the best, where do i find them? thanks for reading, take care.

I don't think they are legal in a lot of states
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think they all went the way of the '80's Kung Fu movies, not to mention they are illegal in most places.

I feel the same way about the stilettos knives I used to have, they were cool and fun but would wind you up in hot water.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by metallicorey View Post
    does anyone carry a butterfly knife. i used to have a bunch of them when i was in highschool. i loved to flip those things around, it was entertainment for a young mind, but nowthat i'm older i kind of miss them. i wish i had kept a few. how about it. lets hear what you think of them. i'm considering purchasing one. what are the best, where do i find them? thanks for reading, take care.
    Aloha metallicorey,

Same story for me. I also had a bunch of cheapies in high school, and even though they did not have a top notch steel blade and high grade handles, they were a blast to make time go by! I got kinda good at it, but then again, anything you do repeatedly for hours will make you better at it.

I also wish I kept some of them. I know the handles were die cast metal, as some of them did break when that "one drop too many on concrete/asphalt" occurred.

IMHO, butterfly knives, or balisongs, are one of the safest "folding" knives one could ever own and use. I mean, look at the mechanics behind it. In order for the "lock" to fail, the pin on the blade that locks between the handles must be sheared. However, State lawmakers think otherwise because they watch too many damn movies...

I currently flip a Spyderco SpyderFly and a Spyderco SzaboFly. Here is a pic of my SzaboFly next to my Leatherman Skeletool...they kinda look alike in terms of "lines", eh?

The Spyderco versions are good, and durable. However, they kinda have a "lobbing" feeling when twirling...kinda like an axe in flight. Weird. Also, they cannot be locked in the open position due to some new law, but the latch is spring loaded: So all ya do is squeeze the handles together when it's closed and the latch pops open. No need to use your thumb or hit the latch on your thigh to start the flipping and twirling like in the old days!

I like the ones from Benchmade and Cold Steel, but can't afford those.

I found some cheapies online, but after getting ripped off from a place called King Of Swords, I am rather leary about ordering from these types of "Specialty Shops".

God bless and nice to meet a fellow flipper!

They used to be popular. I've had a few in the day. Mostly from overseas. But you can still find these in novelty shops and flea markets.

Check out some of the knife forums...balis are alive and well. There are many custom makers out there, with fine EDC to expensive collector knives. Original Pacific Cutlery and Benchmade balis go for $300. Many new ones are in that range and up, though the Benchmade 42 is the common standard for $175 or so. Flipping these things is still vey popular, especially with the pen twirling rage of recent years. There are a lot of very talented people out there. Check out u-tube.

Generally, not illegal to own, but they are to carry and/or sell. And of course, your state laws may vary. I have several and occasionally carry for EDC.

Yes, they're still available. The ones I've seen are at the higher end in $$$. Those knives are the very fastest way for me to cut myself that I have ever found!

I have a still have a couple. It's been a while since I touched them...fun knives.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Their fun to play with but i wouldn't carry one. For example, what if i am in my boat with a casting net and i fall under water and get hung in the net. W ouldn't be able to flip the knife open.

You do not have to flip balisongs open. Want to? Yes. Likely to? Yes. Almost gotta have to, compulsively? Yes. But you do not have to.
    God, country, family.

I have one butterfly. I do not carry it but they are great fun... And Paco, I am looking for one of those stilettos.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    Those knives are the very fastest way for me to cut myself that I have ever found!
    They call such cuts "butterfly kisses." Everyone who flips gets them ... sharp knives and bandaids are job requirements. You should try a DE bali!

When I worked midshift we had a LOT of downtime and I spent it doing three things, studying for Staff, sharpening knives, and practicing with my balisong. That was until I got really tired and sharpened my balisong one night.

But you can still get them, in some states, I keep one or two around the house for fun.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Brought back some from the Philippines purchaced on "Butterfly Ally" on the island of Luzon. Gave them away as gifts. The Philippine butterflys are some of the best IMHO.

Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links