Whats in your impact weapon tool kit? - Page 4

Whats in your impact weapon tool kit?

This is a discussion on Whats in your impact weapon tool kit? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I suspect you own throwing stars? How about a hand-held crossbow? Due respect, but most of those items are macho pacifiers, found on mall ninjas ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I suspect you own throwing stars? How about a hand-held crossbow?

Due respect, but most of those items are macho pacifiers, found on mall ninjas and wanna-be's. I doubt you could explain carrying any of them to a police officer, and if you're carrying ALL of them and don't have a concealed carry permit, I'm betting you'll be headed to the clink for at least a few hours in the drunk tank. Further, I know that to many members of this forum, the sight of your assortment of pummeling devices brings you to the top of the SA list. Why make yourself a target?

I have to ask what your interest level is in this site if you own all of these items and refuse to own a gun? This may read as an abrasive post, so allow me to apologize in advance. I've written this response three times, and there isn't any way to ask these things without sounding like I'm picking on you. I'm not.

Incidentally...what are you using a 'blunt cutter' for when 'you're out partying'??
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Nor do I. Not only do I NOT want the hassle of having to try to match the BG as he escalates (HTH, then blade-to-blade, etc., and hope not to get behind), I believe that it could actually be to my DISadvantage in front of a jury trying to explain why I was walking around like Officer Tackleberry - especially when almost everything else is illegal to carry in Texas, anyways. Not only does wearing a toolbox make it harder to get dressed, it makes it harder to maneouver in the event something does occur. As I see it, the handgun IS my impact weapon during force progression: verbal (Back Off! Now!), then possible push/shove, then grip/draw the weapon, then IF the BG is at HTH distance, possibly a steel barrel thrust into the sternum with all my adrenaline for effect, and then if he is still undaunted, fire if/as much as necessary to end the conflict. I have no legal obligation to, and no interest in, add extra chapters to the story. He/they start it, I end it. I go home afterwards, and although I hope no-one gets killed, they made their choice and took their chances, so I don't feel obligated to try to protect them and their lives at the possible expense of my well-being.
    Am I willing to kill someone for my wallet & $20.oo?
    Stupid question; ask it the RIGHT way: Are they willing to chance geting killed for my wallet and $20.oo bucks?
    I, after all, an minding my own business, legally, and they are the aggressors that decide arbitrarily to take my wallet with my SS number, credit cards, debit cards, driver's license, home address, phone numbers of friends and family, and more: My life and possibly my family's security. Yes, if someone is willing to die to take all that, I'm willing to assist. That's not negotiable. If I'm not PC in this attitude, well, at least I'm honest with myself and all of you.
    I like that, "carrying a toolbox". It is a pain in the butt being loaded down with junk. However, I don't believe I would go around thrusting a gun into someone's sternum (too easy to disarm),unless we ended up in the clinch or on the ground.
    I normally carry a handgun, a sharp knife, and a flashlight. The knife and flashlight double as impact tools as well as keys, pens, etc. IMO, not every situation should end up with someone getting shot, so I would like to be at least a little prepared to crack a cranium or two if I have to.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Quote Originally Posted by budokaitd View Post
    ... However, I don't believe I would go around thrusting a gun into someone's sternum (too easy to disarm),unless we ended up in the clinch or on the ground...
    Exactly what I was alluding to. If (for example) you grab me up by my lapels, I'm going to crack your sternum to gain clearance/distance. If you're at HTH/boxing range (to me, that means about 6 inches, tops) and/or I'm able step back, that's an ideal distance for a dis-arm; NO WAY am I extending (handing) my gun to you. (I mis-represented my intent the first time; you caught me). Draw into a retention/protective posture and keep backing up until the situation ends, one way or another (BG grows a brain cell and runs, or we all suffer hearing injuries). Of course, if there is more than one assailant, the whole dynamic changes and I'll have to write another novel .

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    I suspect you own throwing stars? How about a hand-held crossbow?

Due respect, but most of those items are macho pacifiers, found on mall ninjas and wanna-be's. I doubt you could explain carrying any of them to a police officer, and if you're carrying ALL of them and don't have a concealed carry permit, I'm betting you'll be headed to the clink for at least a few hours in the drunk tank. Further, I know that to many members of this forum, the sight of your assortment of pummeling devices brings you to the top of the SA list. Why make yourself a target?

I have to ask what your interest level is in this site if you own all of these items and refuse to own a gun? This may read as an abrasive post, so allow me to apologize in advance. I've written this response three times, and there isn't any way to ask these things without sounding like I'm picking on you. I'm not.

Incidentally...what are you using a 'blunt cutter' for when 'you're out partying'??
    first off i never carry all of them! just the jaw jackers. the others are just there realy to show friends and family. and macho pacifiers? cmon you got more of a chance of getting bruised up with impact weapons than a handgun. maybe we could just call the handgun a grown childs pacifer? now i know you might say how ignorant is this dude to say that. but in all honesty being a safe distance and firing projectiles to me is a little more cowardly than saying impact weapons are macho pacifers. but i understand you never know what a bg is gonna pull on you so better safe than sorry right? im just saying dont knock the imact weapons just cause you own a handgun!

Quote Originally Posted by JAW JACKER View Post
    first off i never carry all of them! just the jaw jackers. the others are just there realy to show friends and family. and macho pacifiers? cmon you got more of a chance of getting bruised up with impact weapons than a handgun. maybe we could just call the handgun a grown childs pacifer? now i know you might say how ignorant is this dude to say that. but in all honesty being a safe distance and firing projectiles to me is a little more cowardly than saying impact weapons are macho pacifers. but i understand you never know what a bg is gonna pull on you so better safe than sorry right? im just saying dont knock the imact weapons just cause you own a handgun!
    Absolutely stunned.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

wpk
    Being a safe distance and firing projectiles is cowardice? Wow, just wow. I don't carry any "impact weapons" because I don't want to have to fight anyone at all. My 9mm is for the purpose of saving my life or the lives of those I care about, if that makes me a coward then so be it. I do carry OC spray as well, but that's more for animals and low level threat deterrents.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by JAW JACKER View Post
    wow.

just...wow.

seriously? did i read that right? or am i having a dyslexic moment? did you just say that pulling a gun from a distance is a cowardly act?

i think you're on the wrong forum. seriously. you might want to try http://www.bullshido.net/; it's full of guys who think like you do.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    wow.

just...wow.

seriously? did i read that right? or am i having a dyslexic moment? did you just say that pulling a gun from a distance is a cowardly act?

i think you're on the wrong forum. seriously. you might want to try http://www.bullshido.net/; it's full of guys who think like you do.
    I'm glad it wasn't just me. I had a really long response typed out earlier to that post, but I didn't bother to submit it.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I'm glad it wasn't just me. I had a really long response typed out earlier to that post, but I didn't bother to submit it.
    a couple of times I wrote abrasive responses that I did not post. Since this thread started, I was begining to think that I am the only one that found this topic somewhere between comical and totally foolish.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    a couple of times I wrote abrasive responses that I did not post. Since this thread started, I was begining to think that I am the only one that found this topic somewhere between comical and totally foolish.
    Gecko45 anyone?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Part of explaining that one's actions were defensive in nature, is explaining that one acted reasonably. Making a good first impression upon the first responders is a very good way to begin this appearance of reasonableness. I don't think some of the things being discussed by the author of the original thread seem very reasonable. The original post seemed silly and comical, but subsequent posts got worse.

Just to be clear, I am not against the use of impact weapons. A Surefire M3 Millenium is MUCH easier to explain as reasonable than a product which was obviously made as a weapon, as it serves multiple purposes. I would much rather explain my use of a flashlight as an weapon, than something called a "jaw jacker."

I also saw mention of steel-toed boots. While steel-toed boots are indeed legal, in and of themselves, and have legitimate uses, one had better be ready to explain the use of deadly force, and deadly weapons, after having used them in a fight.

Also edited to add: To answer the original question: various flashlights, large-handled folding knives, and often an ASP collapsible baton, which I almost never expand, even when on duty as a peace officer. Yes, I know a knife is a deadly weapon whether or not it is opened, and I am prepared to explain that. At times, especially when outside my jurisdiction, a walking cane or stick. (I have a large pair of scars on one knee, to help explain the need for the support.) When at work, a very standard-looking agency-spec 26" hardwood baton is the preferred impact weapon.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 8th, 2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo

i think it's important to carry non-lethal tools for a couple of reasons, even if you carry a gun.

one reason is, not every situation requires the use of deadly force. in fact, most simply require correct body posture, eye contact, and the right words. i think these can defuse up to 75% of all negative contacts. sometimes, the simple sight of a taser, or canister of OC, or a fist closed around a load, will make someone think twice. i've been able to back people down without having to make any physical contact or cause any injury. the last thing i want to do is shoot anyone.

another reason is this: if you do have to get physically involved, i think it would shine a better light on you to carry non-lethal tools. not every situation requires lethal force, but if you have nothing but a firearm, you just denied yourself the option. so, it's either get beaten up and robbed, or shoot someone over the $20 in your wallet. neither is a good choice. there's that, and if you ever have to sit in front of a jury, it would look better if you could show that you were willing to use non-lethal means, before the BG forced you to shoot them.

i personally don't trust OC sprays. i've had them used on me, and i'm not convinced they'd stop someone dead set on causing harm. i've never been tasered, so i'm not sure if i'd trust one or not. i trust my head, and my hands, and my gun. i carry OC, not because i like to, but because i should.

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    Reminds me of good ol Indy...Sword fighter "flashing and dancin", and Indy just shoots him.... Classic.
    HaHa!

Do you know the story behind that scene.

Well it seems it wasn't part of the scene. Harrison Ford had a bad case of Montezuma's Revenge that day and after a few takes had to go so he pulled the gun out and shot the guy. The director liked it so well he kept it.

That's a classic one right there.

DC Founder
    Since the thread has pretty much gone astray and it a bit beyond the scope of the this forum's focus, I'm going to close it down. I believe the suggestion regarding using another forum to discuss impact weapons, in detail, is a good decision. We all carry guns here....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links