Should a knife really need directions?

This is a discussion on Should a knife really need directions? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a great looking knife at a gun show up in Manchester NH last month but was kinda short on funds at the time. ...

Thread: Should a knife really need directions?

I found a great looking knife at a gun show up in Manchester NH last month but was kinda short on funds at the time. Last week I happened to have a few extra bucks so I searched out the knife. The knife in question is a Kershaw E T. So I ordered it from Amazon and got it yesterday. Believe it or not it comes with a DVD with opening instructions. I owned it for an hour when I learned how to properly operate it but not before I found out that Kershaws claim of a "shaving sharp" blade was not an exaggeration. I have no pics of my "dumdum" wound but here are a couple of the new blade. Before you all attack me on the poor picture quality, please realize that at this time I only have access to the web cam on my laptop. Ill try to do better soon.
    Attached Images
    To whom much is given, much is required. Luke 12:48

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    All of my autos came with instructions on how to open them, and how to operate the safety. It's pretty intuitive, but I'm pretty sure it saves them from lawsuits. Every other sentence is pretty much "Keep your booger hook out of the way!"

That's a crazy lookin' blade!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Ah, I've played with one of those. A little pinch is all you need...

Aloha major99,

Yeah, I think a knife like that would need instructions...it's not your "normal knife"...I have gone into a lot of places that sell knives and asked the guy/gal behind the counter, "How does it work?" (Knowing of course, but just seeing if they knew...) and most times I get, "Uh...wait a minute..." They are either looking for instructions OR calling someone from another department who knows how the knife works!!!

God bless and play safe!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Point sharp end away from yourself. Do Not Grip Sharp End.
    In this day and age just about every product comes with a disclaimer warning of potential problems if not used correctly. Great for sheep.
    It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide product warnings, to prevent the ignorant from harming themselves and to cut down on frivolous lawsuits initiated by just plain stupid people.
    Some of us are smart enough to realize that hot coffee shouldn't be poured in our own lap, but there are some...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Pretty soon, the sun will come with a warning label.

"Do not stare into the sun without proper eye protection."
    "Do not touch the surface of the sun."
    "Do not attempt to halt the fusion reaction within the sun."

BTW, nice Kershaw!

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post

I owned it for an hour when I learned how to properly operate it but not before I found out that Kershaws claim of a "shaving sharp" blade was not an exaggeration. I have no pics of my "dumdum" wound

So, if I understand correctly, before you learned to "properly operate it", you cut yourself.

Yep, sounds like you needed operating instructions!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Links