First Real Knife - Page 2

First Real Knife

This is a discussion on First Real Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rev Al I thought to have one concealed it had to be 3" or less and any length open carry. But even ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Al View Post
    I thought to have one concealed it had to be 3" or less and any length open carry. But even as I'm writing this, I'm second guessing myself. I will definately check that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. What are opinions about plain edge or serrated?
    Serrated is harder to sharpen IMHO. Some say it will snag on the clothing of an attacker, but I tend to think it's still going to cut the heck out of them.

I see no real benefit to the serrated edge unless you need to saw wood with a pocket knife.

Are you looking for utility knife for basic chores, something to use for defensive purposes, or both?

My EDC in a Benchmade Griptillian, serrated/plain. I like the serration portion on an EDC just in case the situation arose where I needed it. (Had to saw my way out of something, etc) Really, it's the same reason I carry a knife (and sidearm for that matter) I don't intend to use it, but I'm ready to if needed.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    My EDC is either a Griptilian (part serrated) for work, or a Spyderco Endura 4 (fully serrated) off work. Both great knives, the Spyderco is the better bargain (under $50 on eBay). Check out Poor_fish and the Spydie Guys there. Good sellers.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

+1 for Benchmade knives!

Never used a Spyderco, so I can't comment on that. I have carried a Griptillian for years now, and I love it! I actually just bought another because it's such a great knife.

Benchmade has the "LifeSharp" service. You can send it back to them, and for 5 bucks they'll put a factory edge on it and mail it back to you.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I don't really think serrated edges are good for much other than heavy utility use (lots of rope, strap, or webbing cutting)...

For general cutting chores and SD, I don't see an advantage to the serrated edge.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

... It can't be more than a 3" blade (VA law). .....
    I can't find that prohibition, looking on web.
    Have a reference to statute or something?

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Are you looking for utility knife for basic chores, something to use for defensive purposes, or both?
    I have a swiss army knife that i have found to be irreplacable for everyday chores that I will continue to carry. This knife would be for defensive purposes and emergency situations (cutting seat belts, etc.)

I guess you all were right about blade length. I thought at one time I read that you could not conceal a fixed blade longer than 3", but I couldn't find anything about it either, except on school property. I want a folder anyway, but I'm glad I don't have to limit myself to 3". Thanks for the correction.

I know spyderco comes highly recommended, namely the delica. Is the Endura just as good, just a longer blade? It seems to be about the same price.

One more question. I know it's probably going against my "no china" rule, but I was wondering what you all thought about S&W knives. I love my S&W M&P, but it seems most of their knives are china steel. They look really cool and are reasonably priced.

Thanks to everyone.
    Last edited by JD; February 12th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: merged posts
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

I know spyderco comes highly recommended,....

One more question. I know it's probably going against my "no china" rule, ...
    Most Spyderco knives are not US made either, you know?

- OS

Hey, I just bought a brand new knife two weeks ago and had similar demands.

I had to get a knife under 3" due to working on an Dept of Army installation and didn't want to spend more than $100. I just got a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. It's got an axis lock, because I did not want a liner lock, which is supposed to be damn good. The one I have is straight edge only and is made with 154CM steal. They do have serated versions but I did not want to ever deal with trying to sharpen it. It also has a pocket clip.

I got mine from this place out of Louisiana. I had been shopping around on eBay too but this place had better prices. It's called Bayou Lafourche Knife Works. The knife was going for $60 plus shipping so I think total it ran me around $68 with USPS priority mail; they shipped quickly. Just google "knifeworks" and then on their website search for "BM556" if you want to take a look at the specific knife I'm talking about. Hope that helps. Good luck trying to find the right item!

I ordered the Spyderco Endura 4. I know it's japanese (better than china, imo) and over 3" (which I found out is not the law), but Spyderco's come highly recommended and if it's good enough for Masad Ayoob, then. . . I got to handle one over the weekend and I like it.

Thanks for everyone's help. God Bless.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

Kershaw Leek, 3 inch blade and in your price range and assisted opening. Just what the doctor ordered for you!
    God bless our troops!

I'm glad I found this thread! I'm in VA also, and I'm looking for an EDC. It will be a utility knife (here at work) and if it comes down to it, a SD knife as well. I don't want to spend TOO much (I'm only an E-4 haha!), but I don't want to go cheap :) Time to research!

I ordered the Spyderco Endura 4. I know it's japanese (better than china, imo) and over 3" (which I found out is not the law), but Spyderco's come highly recommended and if it's good enough for Masad Ayoob, then. . . I got to handle one over the weekend and I like it.

Thanks for everyone's help. God Bless.
    Congrats on the new knife. I’ve used to own an Endura (now called the Endura 3), and now own a Waved Endura. They (both Endura and Delica) are basically the same knife, only different size. They are very good quality construction, and ergonomics. I am a big fan of the VG-10 blade steel they commonly use, as I’ve found it to be good on edge retention, and easy to sharpen. I also prefer the four-inch, over the three-inch blade, as I find that it can accomplish more work before needing a sharpening (makes sense since there is more blade to do the same amount of work).

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Glocker View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread! I'm in VA also, and I'm looking for an EDC. It will be a utility knife (here at work) and if it comes down to it, a SD knife as well. I don't want to spend TOO much (I'm only an E-4 haha!), but I don't want to go cheap :) Time to research!
    Choosing a knife is often much like choosing a handgun. It’s a personal thing, because we all have hands of different sizes and shapes. A good thing to do before begging your quest is to determine what you want out of your knife. Size? Use? Etc…

I’ve been through enough EDC knives to now know what I like. Best thing to do is go to a good show, and shops and handle as many as you can. Then, go to a place like bladeforums, and ask them what they think. Tell them what you handled, and what you liked about the various knives. ASK, before buying.

Keep in mind that you will find many fan boys in the cutlery industry, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t get good advice.

Personally, I think that Spyderco offers the best bang for the buck, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t find something else that better suites you. Be sure to check the local knife laws where you are. Most states do not have preemption on such tools, and it can be confusing. Asking the knife geeks is a good way to go, and bladeforums is probably one of the better sites for that.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Carry Knife

I'm new to this forum but have been in the knife business for 20 years. It's all preference but spyderco and kershaw are both great knives in that price range.If you don't cut a lot of rope than you want a plain edge. There's a new steel ZDP189 and you won't find a steel with better edge holding capabilities.The difference between Spyderco and Kershaw is that Kershaw has an legal auto opening system designed by Ken Onion and it very, very handy.This pic is a Kershaw with a combined steel with a ZDP189 edge. If you look close you can see a wave on the edge. I closed my store but have about 100 knives so if you still need one or have questions shoot me an email.
    shoresknifesupply@comcast.net They also have a lifetime guarantee!
    Sorry I don't need to be rude,my name is Brian Well I didn't read all the threads so congrats on the new knife. USAF Glocker email me and I'm sure I can help you out a lot. Brian
    Attached Images
    Last edited by captainclean; February 28th, 2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: name

I have a gun / knife habit.. :D
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links