First Real Knife

This is a discussion on First Real Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to get a serious defensive knife. I am basically clueless about what to get. I want a folder. It can't be more ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Real Knife

First Real Knife

I am wanting to get a serious defensive knife. I am basically clueless about what to get. I want a folder. It can't be more than a 3" blade (VA law). I'd like for it to have a thumb stud or some other way of one-handed opening. And I don't want a liner lock. I don't know if serrated, plain, or both is better. I would also like for it to have a pocket clip and I don't want to spend that much on it, $50 - $70 range. Maybe a little more if I have to, but if there is one for less that would be great too. I know I don't want anything from China, USA made is always preferable, but definately not China made or chinese steel.

I submit to your collective wisdom. Thank you.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

wpk
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Easy.....

Spyderco Delica.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll give those a look.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

I'd go with a SOG, but then again I'm biased. Been carrying SOG's for awhile and don't like much else.

Striders are just too expensive, but I'd love to own one.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Kershaw, Ken Onion series, assisted opening, part serrated, my EDC.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Spyderco...You won't' be disappointing!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Any Benchmade Axis lock knife. Should last you a lifetime with proper care. My EDC knife is a Benchmade Griptilian (yes, made in the USA). The blade is about 3.5" I believe. According to their website, the Mini Griptilian has a 2.91" blade and you can find them on eBay for less than $70. I prefer no serrations due to ease of sharpening but you can get the griptilian and mini griptlian with or without them.
    Benchmade Mini-Griptilian

If you're looking for something a little cheaper Kershaw makes some great knives. A vast majority of their knives are made in the USA though most of their knives have liner or frame locks.

You'll be happy with either company. Before I got my griptilian my EDC was a Kershaw Leek. BTW, Benchmade and Kershaw are my two favorite knife brands.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Spyderco is indeed a good intersection of quality and value. I tend to like the higher-end Spydercos, though most of my defensive Spydercos are discontinued models, or too large for the subject of this thread. (Gunting, Yojimbo, Civilian) My various Rescue models are not defensive in nature.

Don't mistake me for a Spyderco "fanboy" or such; I use other knives, too. Spyderco is an overall favorite brand, not my only only brand.

If your local dealer does not stock the model you need, I have ordered from Newgraham.com and Knifeworks.com with excellent results.

I'm a big fan of CRKT, and since you mentioned you didn't want a liner lock, you might take a look at the CRKT AutoLAWKS system. I personally hate it, but they have a good selection of assisted openers with the AutoLAWKS.

Here's one I would buy if it were a linerlock... but alas, it has autoLAWKS:

And here's what I currently carry as my EDC:

The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Spyderco is one of my favorite brands, lots of good choices there. Benchmade is another good place to start.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    First of all, why do you believe VA law limits you to 3"? There is no state law concerning blade length unless you are on school property... but that's not what you're asking about. I think any of the knives suggested here would be a good choice. I used to EDC a Spyderco waved Endura, but now EDC a Benchmade Griptilian. Both are very solid and in your price range. I prefer plain blade knives, but if you go serrated, go fully serrated, not half and half.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Kershaw, Ken Onion series, assisted opening, part serrated, my EDC.
    +1...mine too
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Spyderco Delica with a wave.

Benchmade Mel Pardue folder or mini-griptilian.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    First of all, why do you believe VA law limits you to 3"? There is no state law concerning blade length unless you are on school property
    I thought to have one concealed it had to be 3" or less and any length open carry. But even as I'm writing this, I'm second guessing myself. I will definately check that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. What are opinions about plain edge or serrated?
    — James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links