Friend's Funny Reaction

This is a discussion on Friend's Funny Reaction within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that I've known for a little over a year now. During school I see him at least every other day. Today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend's Funny Reaction

Friend's Funny Reaction

I have a friend that I've known for a little over a year now. During school I see him at least every other day. Today we went to the Post Office together to check our mail and I picked up a package from home. We walked back to my room and sat down and he starts up a conversation with my roommate. I proceeded to take my EDC knife (BM Griptilian) out of my pocket to open the package. I flicked it open and started cutting the tape on one side and he looks up from his conversation. The second he saw the knife his eyes got real big and he had this look on his face like "where the hell did that come from." He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. I looked over at him, smiled, then burst out laughing I guess I won't be showing him my knife collection anytime soon. are so funny sometimes.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

2. Remove Ads

I have a guy at work the same way , he almost crys when he sees a knife or a BB gun. Just totally freaks out..we call him wimpy
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdd2 View Post
    I have a guy at work the same way , he almost crys when he sees a knife or a BB gun. Just totally freaks out..we call him wimpy
    "The bruised reed he will not break, and the smoldering wick he will not quench..." -- Isaiah
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack78 View Post
    (In Part) I flicked it open and started cutting the tape on one side and he looks up from his conversation. are so funny sometimes.

Why would you treat your SD knife (if that is why you carry it) in such a matter? You will get sticky tape crap on your blade.

I have had a fighting knife (not a folding knife) for years and wouldn’t think of treating it this way. Why didn’t you use a key or something else to open the package? It doesn’t make sense to me to treat your SD knife like a common prop.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Why would you treat your SD knife (if that is why you carry it) in such a matter? You will get sticky tape crap on your blade.

I have had a fighting knife (not a folding knife) for years and wouldn’t think of treating it this way. Why didn’t you use a key or something else to open the package? It doesn’t make sense to me to treat your SD knife like a common prop.

Ray
    I tend to carry a knife as a utility item, for any instance where the need arises. As far as sticky tape crap, that's why I clean my knife and take care of it.

I guess I'm lucky because over half the people with whom I work also carry knives every day. Just yesterday I noticed a friend who was carrying a benchmade - made for a good conversation. Just glad in my office are few and far between. (Or at least really, really quiet about it)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Yes that is what a utility item is for, to open boxes when the need arises. But a SD knife is just that. I know from reading this thread that it is the mind set of the knife carrier that determines how a tool is treated.

The next time that I need a hammer, i guess that I will pull out my handgun and use it to hammer the nail if the need arises.

Don't you see that people are talking the talk but not walking the walk here.

Ray

Lighten up a little bud ;). I don't too don''t carry a specific defensive knife. I do carry a Spyderco Delica as a tool. But I am quite familiar with it and it can be deployed faster than my pistol. I sharpen it every couple of weeks depending on usage, so it is always sharp. I think it will do just fine.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    A couple of years ago I had a court appearance in Raleigh, as I was emptying my pockets prior to going through the metal detector I dropped my pocketknife in the tray. Now this knife is a 3-inch Case pocketknife I have carried for over 30 years but from the gasp and backpedaling of the guard you would have thought I had dropped an 8-foot rattlesnake on the table. He then offered to have a deputy come and secure the knife; I declined and just took it back out to my truck. I do believe had I been carrying an SD knife he would have fainted instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I carry a Sig Pterodactyl, and strange to me, but I've had more people who know that I carry a firearm and a knife, have MORE problem with me carrying a knife.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I carry a pistol for self defence. My knives are tools designed and used for multipurposes. A knife is designed to cut, so when there is something to cut, it gets used. Knives do not get damaged when used for cutting, if they do get damaged, you need to buy a better knife.

A few people sure look at you funny when they see you open carry a fix blade. LOL

You can see the fear in their eyes. I guess they seen to many Dice and slash movies.

Raevan.. you miss the point of a mindset. Sure a knife is made to cut, that is why I also carry a little pocket knife just like my grandfather did. It even has a little bottle opener, how cool is that.... nuff said

ray

The next time that I need a hammer, i guess that I will pull out my handgun and use it to hammer the nail if the need arises.

Ray
    Make sure you use a good steel 1911 for framing and something like a polymer smith and wesson M&P for finish work

Ray
    swaggs pretty much hit the nail on the head with his reply to this question. A knife is a tool in my book. It only becomes a weapon when used as one.

I do take very good care of my knives and keep a razor sharp edge on them so I'm really not worried about tape residue that stays on the blade for all of 30 seconds before I clean it off.

After the fact I realized that I've been carrying this knife everyday for the past year, and he never even knew I had it. Some people are so oblivious to their surroundings.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Lighten up a little bud ;). I don't too don''t carry a specific defensive knife. I do carry a Spyderco Delica as a tool. But I am quite familiar with it and it can be deployed faster than my pistol. I sharpen it every couple of weeks depending on usage, so it is always sharp. I think it will do just fine.
    You are right it IS a tool; my Glock is a tool also.
    I have lots of tools, that each have a specific purpose; I don't use a screwdriver for a chisel ...

The SD tool doesn't possess mythical power; using for another purpose that doesn't damage it doesn't make it less apt for SD. It didn't destroy the "magic", because there is no magic.

Like another poster said the SD is not in the tool it is in the attitude.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I carry a Benchmade folder...it is a KNIFE. I cut things with it. Tape...an apple..a person in SD if need be. I did not spend hundreds of dollars on it, just to POSSIBLY defend myself with it. I wipe off tape residue with a rag and alcohol. If your sharp SD knife won't defend you with tape residue on it.... Throw it away! As for carrying a second smaller knife...I have enough crap in my pockets now.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links