what's that knife for? - Page 2

what's that knife for?

This is a discussion on what's that knife for? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ah, but the "outside world" doesn't understand Ann Arbor (neither do I, but I know it's ways). The officers are surely for the most part ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what's that knife for?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Ah, but the "outside world" doesn't understand Ann Arbor (neither do I, but I know it's ways). The officers are surely for the most part very liberal, as is the majority of the city. I'm sort of surprised the Chief doesn't have them in tie-dyed uniforms!

For the record, carrying a knife for self defense I beleive is prohibited in Michigan, so I'd stick with the general tool type answer.

As to our defunct "safety inspection", out of over 20 I had performed over the years, I only saw two that attempted to perform the sham of an actual "safety" check. One of those was by a woman who had no clue of even how to verify it was unloaded.

Not sure if you needed to do your registration in person or not. Coming from out of State, it may be handled differently than a new purchase. I am glad I'll no longer need to visit the PD to register a firearm. Now, if we could just get rid of the registration!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Ah, but the "outside world" doesn't understand Ann Arbor (neither do I, but I know it's ways). The officers are surely for the most part very liberal, as is the majority of the city. I'm sort of surprised the Chief doesn't have them in tie-dyed uniforms!

For the record, carrying a knife for self defense I beleive is prohibited in Michigan, so I'd stick with the general tool type answer.

As to our defunct "safety inspection", out of over 20 I had performed over the years, I only saw two that attempted to perform the sham of an actual "safety" check. One of those was by a woman who had no clue of even how to verify it was unloaded.

Not sure if you needed to do your registration in person or not. Coming from out of State, it may be handled differently than a new purchase. I am glad I'll no longer need to visit the PD to register a firearm. Now, if we could just get rid of the registration!
    I just brought the pistol with me because I thought it would be the easiest to do. The detective really only did just what was listed above: recorded make, model and serial number. i'm glad I didn't get in trouble for the comment if they're not supposed to be used for SD. though, it's kind of silly to allow a resident to shoot someone in SD but not cut or stab...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

That statute refers to concealed weapons, but T bone is correct. It was concealed if it was clipped to your pocket, and if your carrying it for SD, then it's illegal. You were fortunate they didn't press the issue.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theghostrider View Post
    It was concealed if it was clipped to your pocket...
    Maybe there's a Michigan statute that defines this as concealed, but since the officer had to see it to ask about it, it wasn't actually concealed.

I was surprised that one could carry a knife into the police station. Around here all LEO facilities and courthouses run everyone through metal detectors. I was sent back to my car once because I forgot I had a Swiss Army pen knife with a 1-inch blade on my keychain.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Maybe there's a Michigan statute that defines this as concealed, but since the officer had to see it to ask about it, it wasn't actually concealed.

I was surprised that one could carry a knife into the police station. Around here all LEO facilities and courthouses run everyone through metal detectors. I was sent back to my car once because I forgot I had a Swiss Army pen knife with a 1-inch blade on my keychain.
    Good point.

Something else worth mentioning is that Michigan has no preemption on knives (pocket or otherwise). What's legal is dependent upon the local ordinances. Dearborn has a complete ban on pocket knives, as I understand.

When someone asks me if my knife is for self defense, I always tell them no. I say its a tool, and I don't ever plan on using it for self defense.

When they ask why, I'll tell them that it's because I don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Then they reply "well, what if the other person brought a knife? then its a knife to a knife fight, right?"

To which, the answer, of course is "No, in that case THEY brought a knife to a gunfight."

Good point.

Something else worth mentioning is that Michigan has no preemption on knives (pocket or otherwise). What's legal is dependent upon the local ordinances. Dearborn has a complete ban on pocket knives, as I understand.
    Aloha theghostrider,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but...

you gotta be kidding me. A certain Senator was trying to do the same for the entire State of Hawaii!!! Then he busts out a SAK from his office drawer...

Say...I thought knives were illegal to have in State Buildings???

God bless!
    "...at least believe upon the miracles themselves...
    And I will do whatever you ask in my Name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father" - Jesus.

Some Cops are not warriors, and some cops Should Not be Cops.

Dearborn does NOT have a total knife prohibition

Here are the relevant Dearborn ordinances proving the subject statement, from http://www.municode.com/Resources/ga...d=12465&sid=22 (knives with blades not over 3 inches may be concealed):

Sec. 14-259. Manufacture, sale, possession of certain weapons or other dangerous devices.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer for sale or possess any billy, metallic knuckles, bludgeon, blackjack, slingshot, karate stick, sand bag, any portable device or weapon from which an electrical current, impulse, wave or beam may be directed, which current, impulse, wave or beam is designated to incapacitate temporarily, injure or kill.
    (b) A person shall not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, or possess a device, weapon, cartridge, container, or contrivance designed to render a person temporarily or permanently disabled by the ejection, release, or emission of a gas or other substances. This subsection shall not apply to a self-defense spray. Self-defense spray means a device to which all of the following apply:
    (1) The device is capable of carrying, and ejects, releases, or emits one of the following:
    a. Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochloroben-
    zalmalononitrile and inert ingredients.
    b. A solution containing not more than ten percent oleoresin capsicum.
    (2) The device does not eject, release, or emit any gas or substance that will temporarily or permanently disable, incapacitate, injure, or harm a person with whom the gas or substance comes in contact, other than the substance described in subsections (1)a. or (1)b.
    (c) Except as otherwise provided, a person who uses a self-defense spray device or foam to eject, release, or emit orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile or oleoresin capsicum at another person is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    (d) Subsection (c) does not prohibit the reasonable use of self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than two percent oleoresin capsicum by a person in the protection of a person or property under circumstances which would justify the person's use of physical force.
    (e) If a person uses a self-defense spray device during the commission of a crime to eject, release, or emit orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile or oleoresin capsicum or threatens to use a self-defense spray device during the commission of a crime to temporarily or permanently disable another person, the judge who imposes sentence upon a conviction for that crime shall consider the defendant's use or threatened use of the self-defense spray device as a reason for enhancing the sentence.
    (f) A person shall not sell a self-defense spray or foam device to a minor. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    (Ord. No. 81-29, 610, 7-21-81; Ord. No. 96-660, 2-20-96; Ord. No. 07-1117, 1-16-07)

Sec. 14-260. Confiscation of firearms.
    All weapons, guns, pistols, firearms, knives, dirks, razors, stilettos or any other sharp edged or pointed instruments, or weapons carried, possessed or used contrary to section 14-259, are hereby declared forfeited to the city.
    (Ord. No. 81-29, 611, 7-21-81)

Sec. 14-261. Possession, carrying a dangerous weapon.It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession or control, except in his own domicile, or carry or use in any manner any knife having a blade over three inches, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument or weapon; provided, however, that such person shall not be in violation of this section if his possession of such knife, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument is necessary for his employment, trade or occupation; if he is engaged in or is proceeding to or returning from a place of hunting, trapping or fishing and whenever required, is also carrying a currently valid license issued to him by the state department of conservation; if such person is a duly enrolled member of the Boy Scouts of America or a similar organization or society, and such possession is necessary to participate in the activities of such organization or society; or if such knife, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument is required under circumstances that tend to establish that its possession is for a lawful purpose not, however, to include self-defense or amusement.
    (Ord. No. 81-29, 609, 7-21-81; Ord. No. 03-971, 7-15-03)
    State law references: Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon, MCL 750.226, MSA 28.423.

Depending on local ordinances of course...

You can carry a knife, any size, folding or fixed blade with one sharpened edge as long as you have no intent to cause harm illegally. So even if it's for SD , as long as that SD is legal your OK. Regardding the OP, the LEO that asked that stupid question shouldn't suprise anyone. While most LEO's are good, smart, hardworking folk, just like truck drivers, construction workers, you name it, there are some that are stupid. Just a numbers game.

Interesting Anubis.

This is what the lawyer over at Michigan Gun Owners Forums had to say about the matter.

The answer depends on blade length, type of knife, and whether it's one sided or two-sided.

Also be aware that different cities have different rules about knives. Dearborn, for example, prohibits one from even thinking the word knife too loudly. Possession of standard penknives can get one in trouble. Even old fashioned Scout knives are a no-no.
    MGO Community Forum

I admit that I never looked it up, but he is not the only source I heard it from.

ETA:
    and thanks for posting that.

I admit that I never looked it up, but he is not the only source I heard it from.

ETA:
    and thanks for posting that.
    You're welcome. I familiarized myself with various MI knife laws because I have relatives there whom I visit, including some in Dearborn. The tricky thing is that Dearborn's blade length limit is a half inch less that the state's statutory limit.

What's the knife for?

Cutting stuff.

Duh.

-JT

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    One time, just to be especially ornery, I said, "Shankin' b***hes!"

They never spoke to me again...

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer for sale or possess any billy, metallic knuckles, bludgeon, blackjack, slingshot, karate stick, sand bag, any portable device or weapon from which an electrical current, impulse, wave or beam may be directed, which current, impulse, wave or beam is designated to incapacitate temporarily, injure or kill.
    Slingshot? Sandbag? SANDBAG?!? Intercourse me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links