what's that knife for?

what's that knife for?

This is a discussion on what's that knife for? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today, I finally got around to registering my gun with the MSP at the AAPD. When the detective and I were going through the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what's that knife for?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

what's that knife for?

So today, I finally got around to registering my gun with the MSP at the AAPD. When the detective and I were going through the safety inspection and registration, another officer walked into the room to grab some windex. I had my Kershaw clipped to my back pocket at the time. He looks at me and says "you're going to carry a gun AND a knife?" I reply back with "Yes, that's what I was planning on doing." He says "well, with a gun...why do you need a knife?" So I replied with (verbatim) "Packages, stuck seat belts, people who are attacking me when I don't have the gun..." The detective registering my pistol just kind of snickered while the other officer huffed and walked off...

why the attitude because i have a kershaw and a gun??
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Probably just jealous.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would have taken it a step further...

"I might get in trouble for trying to shoot a box open..."
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

next time, I would suggest that when you go into a police department, to unclip your knife from your belt and put it in your pocket. Saves some explaining.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    next time, I would suggest that when you go into a police department, to unclip your knife from your belt and put it in your pocket. Saves some explaining.
    you're right...that was probably stupid on my part. even if it was legal, it would have just been easier to avoid the hassle
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post

Because he's a dumb-(something) who lacks the proper mindset.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    Why? It's not like he was doing anything illegal. And if anything exposure to the police is a good thing.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I thought MI did away with the "safety inspection" after the last session of the legislature?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I thought MI did away with the "safety inspection" after the last session of the legislature?
    I'm not sure what the detective did. There was a period which he was looking over it pretty intently. He didn't really ever test out the safety or mag release or anything along those lines...so, maybe they did?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Administrator
    Most Police in my area also carry an accessory knife.
    So that would be an odd question coming from an officer around here.

The questions you would have got here......Is that a Kershaw?....How do you like it?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The questions you would have got here......Is that a Kershaw?....How do you like it?
    No kidding! Around here they would probably tell you to get a BUG, too.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Regarding the Safety Inspection / Registration :

Guest column: Michigan gun law to change Wednesday
    By JOEL FULTON January 6, 2009

Beginning Wednesday, Michigan will no longer require a post-purchase safety inspection of handguns purchased. Currently, every time a handgun is purchased in Michigan, whether it is a commercial sale or a private sale between two individuals, the purchaser must take the pistol to their local police department and present it for "safety inspection." During these inspections, actual checks for safety really never took place. What was accomplished was that the make, model, caliber and serial number of the gun was registered to the purchaser. The Legislature has recognized the hypocrisy of this process and will now trust its citizens to send them the correct information regarding the handgun to be registered.

The process will work like this. After Wednesday, both the Michigan License to Purchase a Pistol and the Pistol Sales Record (the form used for handgun purchasers who possess a Michigan Concealed Pistol License) will become four-part forms rather than three-part forms. The Michigan License to Purchase a Pistol will change in color from green to yellow. When a handgun is purchased, the forms will be filled out as usual and the four forms will be utilized in the following manner: one part will be retained by the seller, one part will be retained by the purchaser, and two parts will be delivered to the purchaser's local police department. It will be the responsibility of the purchaser to make sure the two copies reach the police department. The purchaser may do this by hand delivering them or by sending them via first-class mail. The copy of the sales record retained by the purchaser must be kept and carried any time the purchaser is carrying or transporting the firearm for the first 30 days following the date of purchase of the firearm. If caught, failure to carry this copy of the sales record for this 30-day time period will result in a civil infraction of a $250 fine and disciplinary action from the county gun board.

This change in the law should convenience individuals who work long hours and are currently unable to purchase handguns because they have to use up a vacation day from work in order to fulfill the current requirement to have a handgun safety inspected in the first 10 days following purchase at their local police department. This is difficult because most local police departments do not accommodate the working hours of the average citizen. This new system will greatly convenience the law-abiding citizens of our state.

Now that you have the facts, here is the opinion. In the 1920s, the people of Michigan rejected the registration of handguns. What they did approve was the post-purchase safety inspection of handguns. This was turned into a de facto registration of handguns and last year legislation was introduced into the Michigan Legislature to eliminate the post-purchase safety inspection process and the registration of handguns. As it turns out, the Michigan State Police Department lobbied to keep the registration process in place. Even though registration was originally rejected by Michiganders 80 years ago, the Legislature in deference to the Michigan State Police opted to keep registration and give us the convenience of getting rid of safety inspection.

Some have complained this new process will compromise the accuracy of the registration system currently in place for handguns. These critics should be reminded that in the current system, criminals are not rushing down to the police department to register all of their stolen handguns. It is perfectly plausible to expect people whose livelihood depends on the accuracy of information, namely federally licensed firearms dealers, to give the correct information on forms and ensure that purchasers get it to the correct place. Given that only law-abiding citizens comply with the law requiring them to register their firearms, and given that criminals break the law (surprise, surprise!) and refuse to register their stolen firearms, registration of handguns in Michigan, while slightly more convenient, continues to be a waste of time and resources. Trust me, when a firearm is stolen, the legal owner of the firearm will let the police know as soon as the theft is discovered!

Joel Fulton, along with his brother Jared and both of their wives (Elizabeth and Vicky), owns the Southside Sportsman Club and Freedom Firearms. He is an NRA senior training counselor who conducts the Michigan CPL classes.

He's a fan of Gerbers?

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    You ran into a LEO who either doesn't believe in citizens carry weapons for their own defense or, a guy who just doesn't understand the possible self defense situations where a knife could come in handy.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Obviously, this cop isn't too bright. A knife is just a tool. There are a multitude of uses for a knife. It's not just for self defense. Would you ask a mechanic why he needs a screwdriver when he already has a wrench?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links