blade sharpening?

This is a discussion on blade sharpening? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have a foldable buck knife that i've decided should be my edc knife instead of the kershaw i just bought. the blade is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blade sharpening?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

blade sharpening?

i have a foldable buck knife that i've decided should be my edc knife instead of the kershaw i just bought. the blade is a little dull...it's seen it's fair share of cutting things in the past (it used to clean animals i shot in the desert). so...the blade needs to be sharpened.

do you guys recommend a professional sharpening, or is there a kit i can use at home? the blade has some scratching from rock surfaces and bones...will this affect anything?
    Attached Images
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I am very happy with the Redi Edge I keep one on my hunting belt and one in my kitchen. www.rediedge.com/
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The spyderco sharpmaker is real easy to use and makes a good edge.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

What about a good ol fashion stone? What do all you guys with all these fancy sharpening kits do when you're out in the bush or in a shtf scenario? What if the kit breaks? You going to carry your sharpening kits around?

Short translation...learn to use a stone. Use an old pocket knife or get a cheapie one that you don't care about tearing up and practice with a wet-stone or a pre-oiled stone until you get it right. Once you've learned that you can probably sharpen with just about anything available.

just a thought...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    What about a good ol fashion stone? What do all you guys with all these fancy sharpening kits do when you're out in the bush or in a shtf scenario?...
    Wow, take a breath man, don't hate the technology.

I can use a stone and I have one of the "fancy" Lansky kits that I do not use now. If you had followed my link you would see a product that is as simple and small as a stone. The advantages of the product is that it produces a perfect edge in literally seconds and there is an unquestionably even bevel angle on both sides of the blade. Also, in my kitchen where knives are not treated as roughly as my hunting knife I use a butchers steel to maintain a fine edge.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

What do all you guys with all these fancy sharpening kits do when you're out in the bush or in a shtf scenario? What if the kit breaks? You going to carry your sharpening kits around?

just a thought...
    . . . generally a "SHTF Scenario" would, in my opinion, be a poor time to decide to sharpen your knife.

just sayin'. . .

and the linked product, redi-edge, has a "dog tag" version which I'd be willing to bet is smaller and lighter than your stone.

Quote Originally Posted by sgaterboy View Post
    . . .

and the linked product, redi-edge, has a "dog tag" version which I'd be willing to bet is smaller and lighter than your stone.
    If you have not used them the standard version is about the size of a ball point pen so it is real easy to carry, I tried the "dog tag" (I lost it) but if your hands are messy the longer handle is actually easier to grip and control.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    If you have not used them the standard version is about the size of a ball point pen so it is real easy to carry, I tried the "dog tag" (I lost it) but if your hands are messy the longer handle is actually easier to grip and control.
    Thanks for the input. Its hard to get a feel for the sizes of these things by the listings alone.

I appreciate it.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I can honestly say the fancies contraption I've ever used is a Diamond-Cut Sharpening Stone. I usually use a wet stone or something similar to that to sharpen my knives and I have more bald spots on my arms & legs than I can count from making sure my knives are sharp enough!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Wow, take a breath man, don't hate the technology.

I can use a stone and I have one of the "fancy" Lansky kits that I do not use now. If you had followed my link you would see a product that is as simple and small as a stone. The advantages of the product is that it produces a perfect edge in literally seconds and there is an unquestionably even bevel angle on both sides of the blade. Also, in my kitchen where knives are not treated as roughly as my hunting knife I use a butchers steel to maintain a fine edge.
    My real issue is that if you look at the vast majority of folks that go and get the spiffy sharpening kits first time out, most of them never learn to properly sharpen a blade with anything else. More often then not they got those fancy sharpeners because they can't sharpen anything with a stone or tried and failed miserably. Clearly that's not the case with some of the folks on DC but IMO that's been the general observation I've had over the years.

So I'm just suggesting folks spend the time to read up on the basics and learn on a stone first.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My real issue is that if you look at the vast majority of folks that go and get the spiffy sharpening kits first time out, most of them never learn to properly sharpen a blade with anything else. More often then not they got those fancy sharpeners because they can't sharpen anything with a stone or tried and failed miserably. Clearly that's not the case with some of the folks on DC but IMO that's been the general observation I've had over the years.

So I'm just suggesting folks spend the time to read up on the basics and learn on a stone first.

But if that works for them, why not? I know a few people who either sell or throw away their knives once they get dull, and buy new ones. Better to just sharpen it again IMO. A lot of people don't use knives that often, and when they go dull, just want a quick fix for it.

I love using a stone and freehanding, and I think it's a great skill to have, but it's not a skill everyone needs.
    -Ryan

These are inexpensive, portable and work very well...
    YouTube - Sharpening : Part 5 - Lansky Crock Stick Set
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beX_EKXkmA

Lansky Turn Box Knife Sharpener
    ..ps pay the little extra and get the 4 stick model
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    But if that works for them, why not? I know a few people who either sell or throw away their knives once they get dull, and buy new ones. Better to just sharpen it again IMO. A lot of people don't use knives that often, and when they go dull, just want a quick fix for it.

I love using a stone and freehanding, and I think it's a great skill to have, but it's not a skill everyone needs.
    Knives aside, that is a real good point we have become a throw away society.

As for using a stone I have become lazy the closest I come to a stone these days is my butcher steel.

I've never understood how someone can throw away a knife. It's so easy to resharpen them...
    -Ryan

I am very happy with the Redi Edge I keep one on my hunting belt and one in my kitchen. www.rediedge.com/
    Normally I do not like those carbide sharpeners due to their fixed sharpening angle. These look like they may be adjustable. Are they?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links