South Carolina concealed carry of knives

This is a discussion on South Carolina concealed carry of knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize in advance if this has been previously covered, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. It is my undefrstanding that even ...

I apologize in advance if this has been previously covered, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. It is my undefrstanding that even with a concealed weapons permit it is illegal to carry an automatic knife in South Carolina. What is the status of concealed tactical folders or fixed blade knives like the Ka Bar TDI? I believe they are also a no, no but I couldn't find the info. Regards

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar

Thanks for the response, I saw this information, but it isn't clear to me what if anything can be carried and doesn't address people with a permit. I hope I can get a definitive answer if such a thing exists with federal or state government. In Florida it is legal to own an automatic knife and you can carry it if you have a permit with the same restrictions as a firearm. I would hope that applies to SC but I don't think so. Regards.

Are automatic and assisted opening the same? Probably not. Ive known a few folks with knives the opened up with the touch of a button or switch.

I know WalMart here sells assisted openers so they cannot be illegal.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Assisted opening knife uses a thumb stud or flipper it is not an automatic knife. The question is whether you can carry that concealed or a fixed blade knife. I don't know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    Assisted opening knife uses a thumb stud or flipper it is not an automatic knife. The question is whether you can carry that concealed or a fixed blade knife. I don't know. Thanks
    No, assisted opening knives are the ones where you start to open it with the stud and then it opens the rest of the way on its own.

These are legal to carry in SC.

Im almost positive you can carry a fixed blade knife in SC. It is not concealed and the blade is usually longer than 3"

Ill check the law for ya.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

SECTION 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.

(A) A person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality, the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days.

(B) The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(1) A person carrying a concealed weapon upon his own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23; or

(2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties.

(C) The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.

Ill look for more....
    New tunes added.

I see nothing else with regards to knives other than carrying on school property or violations in using them during the commision of a crime.

FWIW, Im am in a room with several people as I type this and everyone has a folder or assisted opener tucked in their pants pocket with the clip exposed. Including me.
    New tunes added.

Your absolutely correct on the assisted knife definition, my mistake. The information you provided is what I have found I just find it amazingly vague.

SC used to have a provision in the law limiting knives to 2" although I never saw it enforced. That was changed last year and best I understand it a knife is legal as long as it is not being used to commit a criminal act but I am not sure if that applies to autos

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    SC used to have a provision in the law limiting knives to 2" although I never saw it enforced. That was changed last year and best I understand it a knife is legal as long as it is not being used to commit a criminal act but I am not sure if that applies to autos
    Good call and Welcome to DC!!!
    New tunes added.

Yes, our law is certainly confusing. I suspect that it confuses the police as much as the rest of us. Though SC appears - to me at least- to have no state laws about knife size or type except the 2 inch limits for schools, most cities have their own laws/ordnances which are more restrictive. What you can carry will vary according to where you are. For instance, if you take a look at the site posted by highvoltage, you'll note that Columbia has a law against carrying case knives. The reference to case knives is confusing because it is pure 18th century, but any fixed blade can fall under that ordnance, particularily if a police officer is looking for something to charge you with.

I was considering carrying a TDI. But after doing the research, I decided not to since most of my time is spent in Columbia. It just didn't make sense to me to carry a knife that was at least technically illegal when I could legally carry a gun under my CCP. Personally, I just carry a locking blade folder with a blade length just under 3 inches. That appears to me to be legal anywhere. If, on the other hand , I lived in Charleston, I'de happily carry the TDI.

Hope this is of some help

Regards-conwic

Links