Looking For Some Suggestions On Blades

This is a discussion on Looking For Some Suggestions On Blades within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a couple of different blades for different uses. I need one for SD I have kind of been looking at the Kbar ...

I'm looking for a couple of different blades for different uses. I need one for SD I have kind of been looking at the Kbar TDI, is there a better choice?

I also need a really strong and versatile camping blade. Not a machette ust something to have on me for general camping purposes. Thanks in advance.

For the SD knife what price range? and size blade?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    For the SD knife what price range? and size blade?
    Not really big, easy to carry. I'd like to stay under $100 for the SD willing to pay a little more for the camping blade and maybe more for the "right" SD blade. Mostly depends on how much I like it and how useful it is I'm willing to pay for a good product.

I know it depends on the blade length laws in your area but, I really like Gerbers. This one retails for $30.95 and has a blade length of 3.43 weight 2.8 oz

mrm
    cant go wrong with crkt m16

I already have one kinda comparable to the above one. I have a keshaw blur tanto, love it but looking for something else. I'd really like a good fixed blade for both that I mentioned.

I also plan on taking some knife training classes for SD.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    A lot of folks here like the TDI and it seems to be very popular if it's sales are any indicator. I prefer a more straight-style blade, or a slight forward hook like the CRKT Bear Claw. Just keep it small enough for tight fighting and effective concealment, within easy access, and you'll do fine once you get proficient with it's blade and cutting characteristics.

As for the camping blade, I would look at various manufacturers "Hunting" sections. I should be at least five inches in the blade area so you can do some serious work with it, have a pommel so you don't hurt yourself while whacking away or poking through anything with wet hands, and have a full tang for strength. In fact, Ka-Bar makes some great blades in this category as well.

I strongly suggest you go a shop and try out various blades for yourself so you don't buy something that suits everyone but yourself.

Also, keep in mind that once you break $60-70 for shorter blades and $100-120 for larger blades you're buying a name more than any real increase in quality. A knife is steel and it cuts things. It doesn't take $200+ to make an excellent one that does this job.

I am a member on bladeforums as well and someone recommended Mantis Knives last night. The Mantis Knives complete product line

Some of them are a bit pricey but found several under $100. I think they look pretty cool with the red/black theme.

Price 45.00

Price 47.00

Price 40.00

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I am a member on bladeforums as well and someone recommended Mantis Knives last night. The Mantis Knives complete product line

Some of them are a bit pricey but found several under $100. I think they look pretty cool with the red/black theme.

Price 45.00

Price 47.00

Price 40.00
    I could spend a LOT of money on that site!! Thanks

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Hmm, BlackHawk Kalista (Lots of carry options), Ontario RAT3 or RC3, & Entrek Badger all come to mind.

For real low end, a CRKT stiff KISS & if you want to spend more, I really like Al Polkowski's Alpha Jammer (7" OAL with a 3" 154CM blade & a great IWB Kydex sheath).

Good luck with whatever you get.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Links