Newb looking for some pointers

This is a discussion on Newb looking for some pointers within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always carried a multi-tool with me, but the problem w/ multi-tools is they require 2 hands to operate. I really know nothing of tactical/SD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb looking for some pointers

Newb looking for some pointers

I've always carried a multi-tool with me, but the problem w/ multi-tools is they require 2 hands to operate.

I really know nothing of tactical/SD blades, so i'm looking for some suggestions, opinions, FAQs, overviews etc...

Why get serration over a straight edge? what about a combination edge?

And what's the deal w/ all the various blade shapes & sizes?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Before even trying to get into "what's best", I'll just say that it varies from person to person and it also depends on your local knife laws.

I would go to a local knife shop or gun store and simply hold every single blade you can until you get a "feel" of the right one for you. You will have to buy more than one in the end (good knives are like potato chips that way), but grab one that is legal for you to carry and feels good for now. Open it and close it with each hand if it's a folder. Heft it a bit. Really get a feel for what you're looking for in a blade.

As for blade edge type, it really doesn't matter much in this case. A SD blade is fine serrated or not. It's for cutting in defense, not for general cutting chores and it should only be used for such. You'll want to keep your work and SD blades completely separate except in emergency circumstances.

found a (now closed) thread on here that had links to the state & seattle laws.

the state just restricts "automatically opening" blades, and Seattle further restricts them to 3.5".

I'll probably go for a straight edge for ease of sharpening, and rely on the multi-tool for everything else.

As the other poster suggested, the answer to your questions can best be stated by saying that it's (your questions) a matter of personal preference.

The suggestion to handle as many knives as you can is also good. I would also recommend checking on bladeforums and asking their opinion before you buy. Often people will buy a knife, and then ask how they did.

When you do handle the knives, pay attention to what it is you like about specific knives, and make some sort of note to keep track of what you like. There are so many to choose from it can be confusing. Also, knowing what it is you want the knife for can help.

What's the best gun?
    What's the best knife?
    What are the best shoes?

It's an individual decision, and everybody else will have an expert opinion...choose your own.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Come on guys. Yes, everyone has their opinion and it sounds like this guy is asking for them. Everybody's ready to put out their opinion on their favorite/best gun. Let's hear it for your favorite/best knife too.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Selection- will it be used for SD or Utility or both? Will you wear it when you are working, and what is your attire? What are you state and local laws.
    Carry-most likely your are looking at a folder. If it is primarily for SD I suggest you carry it in your front strong side pocket. If it is for utility (I carry one for both purposes) then I carry it in the strong side rear pocket.
    Deployment-no matter whether a fixed or folder for SD, deployment is the missing link.
    Use- most people can figure out how to cut something. Seek training. What you are likely to find is that you need open hand skills vs edged weapon before needing to know how to use a knife to defend yourself.- George

All that said, you cannot go wrong with a Spyderco Endura and a trainer to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Selection- will it be used for SD or Utility or both? Will you wear it when you are working, and what is your attire? What are you state and local laws.
    Carry-most likely your are looking at a folder. If it is primarily for SD I suggest you carry it in your front strong side pocket. If it is for utility (I carry one for both purposes) then I carry it in the strong side rear pocket.
    Deployment-no matter whether a fixed or folder for SD, deployment is the missing link.
    Use- most people can figure out how to cut something. Seek training. What you are likely to find is that you need open hand skills vs edged weapon before needing to know how to use a knife to defend yourself.- George

All that said, you cannot go wrong with a Spyderco Endura and a trainer to go with it.
    +1...I've carried a partially serrated Endura since 1994 and found it has never failed in anything I do with it. Also I have carried it in Seattle both on the job and off and have never had any issue with the police. I would suggest not wearing it openly if you frequent the club scene in Pioneer Square or Belltown - security down there is pretty hip to what those clips are in our pockets
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

I would recommend the Benchmade Griptilian BM550HG
    It works as a good utility knife and also as a SD knife. It is a quality reasonably priced production knife.

If you are asking for self defense, stay away from the wicked looking tacticool knives. The Jury will hang you just for carrying it should you ever need to use it in a SD situation. No daggers, tantos, hawkbills, serrations. A SD knife should be nothing more that the pocket knife tool that you just happened to have in your pocket when attacked. And it will work just as well.

Next, if you carry a knife for self defense, consider getting some professional training in using it for that purpose. Knives are no different than firearms. Proper training is very important.

i've done the research on the laws, and to carry in the city of Seattle it must be no more than 3.5" blade, and must be a folder.

"assisted opening" is somewhat of a gray area w/ the Seattle municiple laws, but probably wouldn't be a problem.
    any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device
    http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~public/toc/12A-14.htm

I've pretty much figured out serrations are for sawing, and an SD knife does not need to saw. I'll stick to a leatherman for utility.

However, the fiance, who had no problem w/ a CCW, think carrying a knife is too much, heh.
    Anyway, I don't like the idea of ever having to use a knife in self defense.
    It automatically implies very close quarters, and I think realistically, once the encouter got to be that close, it'd be very difficult to get to and be used effectively.
    I'd like to think I could prevent the encounter from ever getting that close, but...I know, newb w/out training.
    Came across this thread dealing with this very issue...reading now.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rry-blade.html

Even still, the old addage, "better to have it and not need it..." is always ringing in the back of my head.

Assuming "assisted opening" is OK, the Kershaw Shallot would be a good option. I would like something that can be opened with one hand, but that doesn't necessarily necessitate assisted opening. I'll have to try some out.

You'll need to go and see what suits you. TOO MANY variables. I carry a Spyderco and after trying SOG, Kershaw and several others I found this one the best for my needs. It is lightweight, easy opening, easy to hide in my pocket or waist band and is a quality product.

I have several I like -- Kershaw Spec Bump, Benchmade AFCK 800S, CRKT M21-14SF, a SOG, some balis, etc. About half have partial serrations (I like it for cuting cardboard, etc.) and half plain edge. Frankly, I only carry one, not one each for work and SD. That's too complicated (which do I reach for?...probably the "work" one out of habit), and too bulky. Look at the waved or assisted opening knives. I like a 3.5" to 4" blade, and am partial to ones with a grip that won't allow my hand to slide down onto the blade or close on my fingers(e.g., a "flipper" that also acts as a small hilt is good). Go with good steel (e.g., S30V, S60V, D2, 154CM, AUS-8).

Having said all of that, a knife is a last resort. Check out CaneMasters.com, or get a baton (if you can carry it) or a taser ... might be better options.

Also, do a search...this topic has been covered before here.

My CCW teacher told us to always have a gun w/ at least 2 extra mags, a knife, pepper spray, and a cell phone. Not necessarily in that order. That way you're prepared for whatever.

I think I need to borrow Batman's belt!

Here's the knife I just ordered. Here

The half serration should help cutting rope, seat belts, etc.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Having actually cut down my fair share of swingers (hanging victims) and seat belts not to mention clothes on rescue scenes, I have to wonder why you would want serrations. In my experience they encourage you to saw back and forth, and especially when cutting a seat belt that is a bad thing. I would rather have a sharp plain edged knife.- George

The half serration should help cutting rope, seat belts, etc.
    This just what I've been told. If those of you who know different disagree, I stand corrected. Maybe I'll start a thread on this.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links