Where can I buy a butterfly knife online?

This is a discussion on Where can I buy a butterfly knife online? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I get reemed for this being illegal, the way I understand MI (and Ann Arbor) law is that they're legal to possess, just not ...

Thread: Where can I buy a butterfly knife online?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Where can I buy a butterfly knife online?

Before I get reemed for this being illegal, the way I understand MI (and Ann Arbor) law is that they're legal to possess, just not to carry. I know of a swap meet about a half hour away that has been known to sell them...but I would also like to peruse online too.

Any suggestions? (other than don't buy one)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

You can find some online here.

Butterfly Knives - Blade HQ

Or Here..
    Butterfly Knives - Blade Play
    S&H is free
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

from the first link:
    Benchmade Balisong Butterfly USB Pocket Hard Drive - Blade HQ

a 2-gig butterfly USB drive...the "tactical" geek's dream
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thats pretty good..lol

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    from the first link:
    Benchmade Balisong Butterfly USB Pocket Hard Drive - Blade HQ

ha! if only I had seen that sooner...

my dog had chewed up 2 thumb drives in as many days last week!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Check out the classified sections of knifeforums.com, bladeforums.com, jerzeedevil.com, benchmadeforum.com, and the edged weapon subforum of glocktalk.com.
    Last edited by alnitak; March 3rd, 2009 at 12:35 PM.

"Cold Steel", some of the best around.

Aren't they also know as 'balisong' (or something like that) knives too? Maybe Googling that will turn up some new results for you.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    "Cold Steel", some of the best around.
    Cold Steel no longer makes the Arc Angel balisong. You will have to search the classifieds on the forums mentioned above to find one. I'm not aware of any others that Cold Steel made.

Okay, before you spend more than you really should on one of these, let me toss this out- waved knives are faster and more reliable opening under pressure...and are readily available.

Balis are cool. They're neat. A nice one will be $150+. They are very impractical (speaking as someone who has played a fair bit with butterflies, autos, gravity knives, etc..).

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Okay, before you spend more than you really should on one of these, let me toss this out- waved knives are faster and more reliable opening under pressure...and are readily available.

Balis are cool. They're neat. A nice one will be $150+. They are very impractical (speaking as someone who has played a fair bit with butterflies, autos, gravity knives, etc..).
    You're 100% correct, but the Bali's still have a "cool" factor unmatched by most others. Rather impractical knife from a weapon standpoint (much slower into action than the majority of modern "tactical" folders).

OTOH, very safe to carry (far less likely to partially open in a pocket for example) than most. Funny that they are illegal to own many places, and carry many others.

Oddly, I was at the local PD a few days ago and was carrying my Benchmade Morpho 32 Bali (mostly carry a Spyderco Endura daily, but I was pocket carrying the PM9 where my knife usually goes), and happened to ask the officer about the legality of carrying Bali's (NO, I never put much credence into what the officers have to say on legal matters, I was more curious of his response). He was the "gun officer" who handled registration/safety inspections until they recently became a mail in paper work procedure here. Anyway, I knew him and also knew him to be reasonable, while not nec. up on several other laws.

He stated the blade length was the deciding factor-stating our Township had a max. blade length for knives carried (something I'd not heard, will have to verify) of 2.5 inch. Showing him the 32 (which has a blade of +or- 3 inch depending on how you measure!) the 32 is legal "according to him". Says he sees a lot of them. Ha! It's beyond his stated max. length. What it has going for it is the fact that it is much more "tool looking" and less "weapon looking"

Now on to the OP. I've bought all of my Bali's on line, and AFAIK, it is perfectly legal. Various sources, some used, some new. The Benchmade 42 is pretty much THE standard these days. Can be found new in the $160/$170 range. Try Google, but be sure to verify by phone that it's in stock prior to ordering. A lot of knife dealers list knives at good prices and just back order you if not in stock, not always notifying you.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

EDC knives . com and newgraham . com are two that I like. The problem is finding the benchmade bali's in stock. The are not making them very ofter anymore. I avoid the china cheapies you find at the flea markets and on line. They will break quickly. Around here we find bali's at gun and knife shows.

Links