Ka-Bar question

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by raevan If you only want to carry one knife to do it all, the Ka-bar will suffice. ...but carry a 7 inch ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ka-Bar question

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    If you only want to carry one knife to do it all, the Ka-bar will suffice.
    ...but carry a 7 inch Ka-bar a lot because it functions for many task in the field and is reasonably priced if lost or broke.
    yeah, if anyone was unclear, I wasn't saying there's anything necessarily wrong with the Ka-bar...just that there are better knives for the different tasks.

For some small, cheap (but still decent quality) utility knives take a look at these:
    Ragnar's Swedish Knife Catalog
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

which kabar?

I've shot and cleaned 40 to 50 deer in my lifetime with everything from a pocket swiss army knife to unknown $10 fixed blades and they all work just fine. I think the whitetail is an exceptionally easy animal to dress. Several of my kills were dressed with the good ole buck folding hunter and it worked terrifically. Actually I really liked using the one I broke the tip off of and ground it down to a rounded tip.
    I can't offer direct experience gutting deer with a Kabar but my point is that it would be fine. They are beasts and, if sharp, very capable of this duty.

Having said that, that last 10 deer I've dressed have been with this:
    Catalog, Knives of Alaska Product Listing

I use and carry a Full Size USMC KA-BAR, Serrated Edge while deer hunting, and this knife has worked wonderfully for gutting and skinning deer. One reason I like using a Ka-Bar for gutting deer is that it makes it easy to open up the rib cage and split the tail bone. My knife is is the older model that has the clip point is sharpened on it. So if I need a smaller knife to make a presision cut all I have to do is flip the knife over and use my clip point. just my $.02
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links