Ka-Bar question

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Ka-Bar at the sportsman show last week up in Harrisburg. I got it for two reasons... one to replace my current ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ka-Bar question

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Ka-Bar question

I picked up a Ka-Bar at the sportsman show last week up in Harrisburg. I got it for two reasons... one to replace my current buck knife which has seen its days, and two... a good survival knife if the SHTF or if I go camping or whatever.

My question is would a Ka-Bar be a good buck knife, or is it a little bit of an over kill?

2. Remove Ads

Are you asking if the Ka-Bar is as good as a Buck? I'd have to ask which Ka-Bar and which Buck. I have several Buck knives and one KaBar. All good knives IMO.

In a SHTF situation overkill is what you want. With the KaBar name and reputation I think everyone should have at least one.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Are you asking if the Ka-Bar is as good as a Buck? I'd have to ask which Ka-Bar and which Buck. I have several Buck knives and one KaBar. All good knives IMO.
    Well my question is would it be a good knife to skin and field dress a buck/doe? Right now I have a regular flip open 4 inch blade. The Ka-Bar seems a lot better for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Well my question is would it be a good knife to skin and field dress a buck/doe? Right now I have a regular flip open 4 inch blade. The Ka-Bar seems a lot better for the job.
    For skinning game my old Buck Folding Hunter is a better knife to use than My Short Ka-Bar USMC. But the Ka-Bar is still a good survival knife and IMO a better combat knife.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    For skinning game my old Buck Folding Hunter is a better knife to use than My Short Ka-Bar USMC. But the Ka-Bar is still a good survival knife and IMO a better combat knife.
    For what reasons is a Ka-Bar not a good choice for skinning/gutting game? Thats what I am trying to get at.

For what reasons is a Ka-Bar not a good choice for skinning/gutting game? Thats what I am trying to get at.
    There are a number of Ka-Bar knives. If you get one made for sporting and hunting as opposed to one made for military or tactical you will have an excellent hunting knife. Check out the websites where Ka-Bar knives are sold and you will see a lot of options.

JD
    Administrator
    A smaller blade/smaller profile knife is easier to maneuver inside a carcass without nicking anything you don't want to nick.

So a full sized Ka-Bar is good for survival/combat then?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    A full size Ka Bar is a good survival and fighting knife, but I also wouldn't rate it as very good for skinning game. I like to have a razor sharp edge on a smaller blade so I can make precision cuts...don't want to hit the wrong part and make a stinky mess. Also easier to maneuver around ankles and such with a smaller knife.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The Ka-Bar USMC fighting knife (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about) wouldn't be my first choice as a fighting knife, a survival/outdoor-utility knife, or as a skinning/gutting knife...

I would personally advise something like the RAT Cutlery RC-5 or RC-6 (or a knife of similar design) for utility and as a last-ditch weapon.
    Add a smaller (3-4" blade) fixed blade for skinning and you're pretty much set.

If you're talking about having a survival/SHTF/BOB setup, add a good multi-tool to the above knives and you've covered your bases pretty well.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    KenpoTex Knows His Whittle Knifeys

RC-5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "and two... a good survival knife if the SHTF or if I go camping or whatever."

Pro2A - Don't you mean when the SHTF?
    Because...it's when not "if" now.

njr
    Last year I visited my friend the Jewish Indian in north Minnesota and his friend was selling some really nice handmade Ute knives with sheaths, lanyards, decorations. Real works of art. I didn't end up buying, was being miserly.

Also, I was kidding them that the knives were only as big as paring knives, what happened to the big Grizzly Adams knife, etc. They replied, of course we're not going to strap some big heavy bulky knife on while stalking deer, moose etc. Plus, what Kenpotex says, smaller is better for surgical cuts when field dressing.

Re The Survival Knife: I got the heavier duty fixed blade Case with leather handle and drop point cos I liked the looks and durability and a cheap heavy back up chinese fixed blade which is thick and heavy enough almost to be a crowbar. The SAS survival manual recommends something really tough so that you can take a chunk of wood to the back spine and split/cut wood, hack brush etc.

I also have a Estwing hatchet and Leatherman multitool.

I'm going on a 40 mile canoe trek with Jewish Indian buddy this summer and will probably take at least one blade, my mini-pika and leatherman. I'll have to consult with my bud on whether to take the hatchet. My bud will probably also have a similar configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    The Ka-Bar USMC fighting knife (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about) wouldn't be my first choice as a fighting knife, a survival/outdoor-utility knife, or as a skinning/gutting knife...

I would personally advise something like the RAT Cutlery RC-5 or RC-6 (or a knife of similar design) for utility and as a last-ditch weapon.
    Add a smaller (3-4" blade) fixed blade for skinning and you're pretty much set.

If you're talking about having a survival/SHTF/BOB setup, add a good multi-tool to the above knives and you've covered your bases pretty well.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Some knives do some things better, some knives do one thing great
    a KA-BAR does all things good enought

Semper Fi

If you only want to carry one knife to do it all, the Ka-bar will suffice. You just have to know how to use it. I and other members in my Family have used them for years. After buying a RAT RC3, I would say it is a much better knife for cleaning large game. I have many knives of variouse sizes, but carry a 7 inch Ka-bar a lot because it functions for many task in the field and is reasonably priced if lost or broke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links