New Blade - Kershaw Leek

New Blade - Kershaw Leek

This is a discussion on New Blade - Kershaw Leek within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I'm not really a big knife collector / connoisseur, but I saw a deal I couldn't pass up. My Ka-Bar TDI is my dedicated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Blade - Kershaw Leek

Well, I'm not really a big knife collector / connoisseur, but I saw a deal I couldn't pass up. My Ka-Bar TDI is my dedicated defensive carry knife, but there's days where I just don't feel like clipping it to my belt. I also don't carry my TDI at work in the office because I could just imagine unsheathing that from my belt as the sheeple passout to take out a renegade cardboard box.

So I began my search for a knife that was not too big, not too small and could quietly clip inside my pocket for daily use / carry. I set a budget at about $50 because, like i said, I'm not a huge knife fanatic. I figured I could get a decent blade at that price.

At first, I took a look at Smith and Wesson's line of M&P assisted opening knives. They make some good looking knives very nice lines and design. I thought to myself, how cool it would be to have an M&P knife to match my M&P firearms. But alas, when I started doing research it appears that these knives do not live up to the M&P name and quality.

Next, I look at the Spyderco Endura 4 Wave. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend and the design of the knife just didn't call out to me. I did like the wave feature though.

I looked at the Benchmade Griptilian, but it was also more out of my price range and didn't have the quick deployment features I wanted.

Next, I found the Kershaw Ken Onion series getting great reviews. The Chive and Scallion were too small. Then I picked up a Leek and it was just right. The price was right in my range so I needed to decide what model of 1660 Leek was right for me.

The traditional silver leek and black leeks didn't call out to me. They just looked a little too plain. Then I looked at the rainbow leek which it seems like quite a few guys like. It was just a little too flashy for my taste. Then I found it. The Leek Smoke line. I saw they had black and white smoke pattern, blue and black smoke pattern, and RED and BLACK smoke pattern.

Now being a Texas Tech Red Raider, I bleed Red and Black. I knew immediately I had to have it. I ordered the Red and Black smoke (model 1660BR). I received my Kershaw Leek in the mail today and it is perfect!!! It's been clipped in my pocket all day so far and I can't stop playing with the assisted opening. This knife is fast to deploy! The clip holds it tight in my pocket. The knife was razor sharp right out of the box. I accidentally gave myself a little poke in the hand with the tip and gave it a drop of blood to break it in (stupid me).

As I understand it, each smoke pattern on the Kershaw Leek smoke series is unique because of the process they use to create it. This Red Raider is proud to show off this beautiful new knife.

I know I found a new EDC. I'm very happy with this knife and I already want to get another, but my wife may want a Rainbow Leek first.

Without further ado, pictures of my new Kershaw Leek!

Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

One question to anyone else who owns this knife. Is it really necessary to carry this knife with the tip safety engaged? As anyone ever heard of one accidentally opening in their pocket? I'd prefer to carry it without the lock engaged, but I'd also prefer to not experience the blade burying itself in my leg.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Good choice. I carried a Leek daily for about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan29 View Post
    One question to anyone else who owns this knife. Is it really necessary to carry this knife with the tip safety engaged? As anyone ever heard of one accidentally opening in their pocket? I'd prefer to carry it without the lock engaged, but I'd also prefer to not experience the blade burying itself in my leg.
    I never carried with the lock engaged, and never had a problem.

Man, I like the color of the handle. I have thought about adding a Kershaw or 5 to my knife collection. I may have to drop some on one to get the ball rolling.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Very nice.. Iv been thinking about buying one. My local Wal Mart has the standard silver leek's for $40 and I don't have a decent pocket clip knife yet.

I carried mine for about 2 years and never had a problem with it opening in my pocket. I found that it is a little difficult to keep a keen edge on, though.
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

I've had a Stainless Steel one for about 2 years. The biggest problem I have is the plastic safety keeps breaking.. Other than that I love it.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I own the same knife but all brushed metal no color ..

my wife has me and her wedding date engraved on the blade.

I too carry it everywhere as a general use knife and my backup "Powerderless backup".

It holds it's edge for a very long time. I do not sharpen it too much, I simply run it down my German Steel kitchen knife set's steel rod. It straightens the microscopic saw tooth like blade all knives have and makes it sharp enough to shave hair off my arm.

Great knife.

My safety lock broke off when I dropped it real hard one day from my roof on my home to the driveway. The knife to this day has not accidentally opened in my pocket.

Very good knife. Metal quality is pretty decent.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charliefox View Post
    I carried mine for about 2 years and never had a problem with it opening in my pocket. I found that it is a little difficult to keep a keen edge on, though.
    Unlike me it depends on what you do with the blade.

You may cut harder materials as for me the hardest thing I cut is a banana or apple once in a while when im hungry.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan29 View Post
    I've got the Leek...never ONCE have had it open in my pocket. Even though it's an assisted opening, it still has a little bit of tension to keep it closed. I've been EDCing this for about 3 months now and haven't had an issue with it. i LOVE this knife.

btw...happy DST!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I have never seen that color, it is nice.

I have a regular blade leek and a random leek. I like them both.

You've almost convinced me to get one. Nice review, and a great looking knife! They have excellent reputations also.

Now, if they had one in Crimson and Blue, I might get one...........but ya'll stomped the 'Hawks so bad last week bad I guess I'll pass

I have the Kershaw Oso Sweet. It looks exactly like the onion, in respect to design but the grip is plastic and textured like scales. I really like the knife and have always had kershaw and schrade knives and have proven reliable. For about $30 it can't be beat.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson –

Thats a very nice looking knife. I think Ill check WM to see what they have this week. Im carrying a gerber right now and its a good knife though it is not assisted opening.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I carry my Kershaw Rainbow Leek with the blade safety not engaged. I like the slim profile and the assisted opening of the blade.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links