Defensive Carry banner

Work/knife story part 2!

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  HKkid 
#1 ·
Some of you may have read my old thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-knives-other-weapons/58402-thats-really-scary-looking-knife-whats-world-coming.html

I have a new story about knives at my work :smile:

So today while I was working a woman about 40 or so came up to me. She held out a bag of candy and asked "Do you have anything to open this with?" I smiled and said "Yeah no problem." I reached into my pocket and pulled out my Gerber Firestorm. I was careful to open it slowly instead of flicking out the blade one handed. I opened her bag and when I looked back at her face, I was suprised to see her in a state of horror. "Umm.. why do you carry a knife?" I almost laughed and pointed to the bag I had just opened. "For opening little things like that mostly"

My manager must have seen the look on her face and walked over. "Anything I can help you with?" he asked. I explained the situation and he asked to see the knife. I showed him and he whistled. "Is this legal?" he asked. "Yes, I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't." The head manager came over. By now I was getting embarrassed that there was 3 people standing around me just because I helped someone open a bag. My head manager asked "What seems to be the problem?" I explained the situation again. He took a look at the knife, folded it back up and gave it back to me. He turned to the customer and asked, "Didn't you want your bag opened by this young man?" "Yeah, I guess." "Well there ya go" my head manager said with a smile. :smile:
My (not head) manager said "Well I guess thats that. Be careful with that Rambo" and walked off. Sometimes im simply amazed by what the :sheep: do.

See less See more
#3 ·
Gone are the good ole days when boys were given pocket knives as birthday presents for such mundane chores as cutting kite string and whittling sticks.

With all of the Hollywood slasher genre of movies out there it is no wonder that some people view a person with a pocket knife as the second coming of Freddy Krueger.

BTW, my wife carries a Gerber pocket knife in her purse, so not all women are :sheep: either.

Maybe if you had a small pair of plastic handled shears to open her bag she wouldn't have been so horrified.:ahhhhh:

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gone are the good ole days when boys were given pocket knives as birthday presents for such mundane chores as cutting kite string and whittling sticks.
Not neccessarily. My boy is going to be equipped with a good pocket knife when he gets older.

Then again, the good old days have change slightly, because I intend for my daughter to have one too. Of course, she will probably want pink.

#4 ·
I had a good laugh over this too, sheep are really funny around knives. My parents were always very supportive of learning about knives at an early age. I got a Swiss Army Knife when I became a cub scout and when my grandfather died, I started carrying his old buck 110. For a little kid, that buck knife was pretty good size, lol.

Too bad I live in a hippie state (CA), so people have these "scared" reactions all the time.

#6 ·
So when she asked, she expected you to open the bag with (?) maybe a paper clip? :blink:

#9 ·
Years ago when Spyderco had first come out, one of my friends had one and stuck it in his belt on this Tux going as part of a wedding party. His wife was just raising hell with him about it... he stood his ground and said no one will notice.... Well it got used three times at the wedding, once to cut a string off the brides dress before the wedding started. And that was the end of all his families dirty looks.

#12 ·
people are freakin' stupid...

#15 ·
Man people are dumb. I carry a 3" benchmade and get so many looks if I take it out and flick it open to open something. People act like I've just pulled a bomb out of my pocket. Then I go home to my smaller town, and all is well again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.