Need suggestions - Chemical spray and tazers

This is a discussion on Need suggestions - Chemical spray and tazers within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A good friend of mine told me today that his wife, while with their children, was aggressively approached and harassed by a transient/homeless man while ...

Thread: Need suggestions - Chemical spray and tazers

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question Need suggestions - Chemical spray and tazers

A good friend of mine told me today that his wife, while with their children, was aggressively approached and harassed by a transient/homeless man while going to the car in a Home Depot parking lot.

She dislikes guns a lot, refuses to have one on her, in her purse or in the home because of her fear the children will get ahold of them.

My friend asked me about other devices such as chemical sprays and tazers/stun guns.

I have no knowledge of these items but I told him I would get some knowledge tonight. I did tell him that I thought she should carry both. The spray to use as a stand away defense to gain time to get away and use the electronic stunner to defend herself in case the spray didn't stop the attack/advance and was then accosted physically.

Can anyone point me towards some links or brands of high quality dependable sprays and electric stun devices? He wants her to have very good devices, not crap.

I posted in this forum because it applies to "other weapons" but is mostly filled with knife/blade discussion.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

How much does she love her children?
    She needs to be educated in the use of the firearm.
    Pepper spray may be of some assistance, but with a bunch of children, she may end up spraying children, too.
    Is she going to be able to spray and run with kids?

She dislikes guns because the kids may get ahold of them? What if the kids get ahold of the spray or stun gun?

Time for a wake-up call lady...welcome to the real world. She is responsible for the safety of herself and her kids. Get some firearm lessons...keeping firearms away from kids is easily accomplished.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My boss bought these for his wife:

Kimber America Store > Guardian Angel PepperBlaster, live OC unit, black

figured if his daughter got ahold of it and sprayed herself some how she wouldn't be happy, but she'd be a live, same with the stun gun. I don't know how it works, but I was told that with the Kimber Guardian Angel if you register it, when it expires they will send you a new one. Again that is what a guy in a local gun store told me so I dont know the truth behind it.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Pepper spray may be of some assistance, but with a bunch of children, she may end up spraying children, too.

She dislikes guns because the kids may get ahold of them? What if the kids get ahold of the spray or stun gun?

Time for a wake-up call lady...welcome to the real world. She is responsible for the safety of herself and her kids. Get some firearm lessons...keeping firearms away from kids is easily accomplished.

OMO
    I agree. However, until she comes around I would think it better she have at least these types of defense. I dont know this lady, I have not met her. I just know her husband now for several years.

What does one do when nothing works to get them to warm up to a personal firearm?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

She needs a mindset adjustment more than she needs a can of spray...if she's that adamant about not having a gun around, is she going to be able to fight to defend herself if it becomes necessary? I doubt it...

But to answer your question, FOX labs or Sabre Red for OC...don't waste your time/money on a stun gun.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I would also recommend the Kimber Guardian Angel pepper blaster. If cost is of no concern, then I would recommend getting a Taser. Cabelas carries them for $349.99 a piece and also sells the spare replacement cartridges.

Both could be employed at a distance and give her and her children time to escape.
    God bless our troops!

If your in Jax just have her watch the news!!

Pepper Spray.. check out Fox Labs

They have a great little belt holster that you
    can remove quickly.

Fox Labs International

The strongest stun gun I could find on the net was "The Cheetah which has 2.5 million volts"

Looks like this
    Price $79.95

Need a Stun Gun? Low prices on Stun Guns everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    aggressively approached and harassed by a transient/homeless man while going to the car in a Home Depot parking lot.
    I think in most cases I would use the pepper spray
    before a stun gun.

At least with pepper spray you have some distance
    and don't have to be close enough to touch your
    attacker.

If you get the pepper spray try for the stream as with
    the fogger it might blow back in the wind easier.

The United States Concealed Carry Association
    has a review on youtube about the differences
    between the fogger, steam etc.

It gives you an idea of how far they shoot...think
    its 15ft on average. The video is below and its 7
    min long. I think you have to get to around 5:00
    before he shows the spraying difference.

Hope some of this helps.

YouTube - Fox Labs Pepper Spray Review

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

OMO
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    She needs a mindset adjustment more than she needs a can of spray...if she's that adamant about not having a gun around, is she going to be able to fight to defend herself if it becomes necessary? I doubt it...

But to answer your question, FOX labs or Sabre Red for OC...don't waste your time/money on a stun gun.
    +1000 I have nothing to add to these two excellent posts! (Same advice as KenpoTex regarding the OC and Taser as well as his other points)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links