Knives made from files?

This is a discussion on Knives made from files? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking for a small fixed blade knife when I came across this maker called Anza. Anza Knives Custom Hand Made Knife These knives ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives made from files?

Knives made from files?

I was looking for a small fixed blade knife when I came across this maker called Anza. Anza Knives Custom Hand Made Knife

These knives are made out of files. Does anyone have any experience with these?

2. Remove Ads

Anza knives

Anza has been around as I recall since the 70's. Charlie Davis would travel to the gun shows in California and sharpen knives,and sell his file knives. About 20years ago he made a 6 piece steak knife set for me complete with the wooden box that holds them. Don't know if he still is with Anza but file knives make very good user knives. Hold an edge like crazy and are easy to sharpen. You can't go wrong for a user knife from Anza.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    No clue on the files bit but I have one made from recycled wood mill saw blade tool steel. Damn fine knife that has had it's share of punishment and kept on ticking.

They're not cheap!

Being made from a file really means little to me...quality is what counts anyway. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never heard of these, but I used to make oyster knives out of files. The worked good. Opened lots of oysters.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Seems like they would be more brittle than typical knifes.

Many custom makers use files. Steel is usually 5160. If properly heat treated, they are not brittle (applies to any blade). Basically, its a known steel blank, of reasonable cost that can be purchased individually vs. by the foot, and already "close to size" so there isn't as much stock removal. $100-175 is pretty average, since (unless they've really grown) Anza isn't cutting and heating 500 blades per day.

Administrator

I see no real advantage to making a knife from used files when the exact same (very common) virgin steel W-1, W-2, 1095, and other Carbon Steels are readily available with the only difference being that they have not been made into files yet.

It's all in the proper hardening and tempering back.

I can actually see a minor disadvantage to making a knife from used files in that files are usually hardened to the max without tempering back since (as files) they do not need to flex at all.

The way I have seen folks Hard Whack files during use makes it possible for used file stock to have internal micro fractures that could possibly cause problems in a knife later on.
    I'd rather my knives start off as high quality virgin steel.

Just my own personal opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I see no real advantage to making a knife from used files when the exact same (very common) virgin steel W-1, W-2, 1095, and other Carbon Steels are readily available with the only difference being that they have not been made into files yet.
    The advantage is a maker can buy used QUALITY(not all files are created equal) files and rasps for next to nothing and make a knife out of it but I also think the file groves also add to the look of the knifes. I have a drop point skinner I got from Mykul Morrishttp://www.morrisknivesonline.com/made from a rasp that is a great knife and beautiful to boot.

Senior Moderator
    Speaking of files...

A few decades ago I made a Roman Gladius from a large file, a 16 incher. I put it on a surface grinder, shimmed it up to cut angles and it came out beautiful. Good geometry, looked great, and I was about ready to anneal it, because a file is too hard for a knife and it has a tendency to stress crack.

I never made it. I pulled it off the magnetic chuck and set it on the table where I left it for a few minutes. When I went to pick it up, I somehow fumbled it and dropped it on the deck, where it busted into a a gazillion pieces just like dropping a glass. All that work went right down the drain.

While I have made some cool looking blades, and many others continue to do so, they need to be properly annealed before working so that the internal stress doesn't cause stress fractures from it being worked.Other wise, something as simple as dropping it or striking the flat on the edge of a table could cause it to self destruct.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

SAwmill knives

I have a few of these, a couple meat cleavers and a fixed blade or two. They are cheap Pakistan stamped, but the quality is pretty good for camp or kitchen use.

SMKW Knives >> All knives and accessories matching "sawmill'" Best prices and largest variety of "sawmill'" knives and accessories on the web

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have a few of these, a couple meat cleavers and a fixed blade or two. They are cheap Pakistan stamped, but the quality is pretty good for camp or kitchen use.

SMKW Knives >> All knives and accessories matching "sawmill'" Best prices and largest variety of "sawmill'" knives and accessories on the web
    My dad has an cabbage axe (for cutting swamp cabbage)that he made from a sawmill blade back in the late 50s. You need a sharp, wide, thin blade for this work. Man is that thing ever sweet. He keeps it sharp as a razor. Great steel and it keeps and edge real well.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I.ve got one from their small Knifes, its nice but I don't carry/use much.just got it to add to my collection.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

TAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Seems like they would be more brittle than typical knifes.
    Agreed! Files can shatter like glass.

I have about 6 Anzas, and I bought most of them when they came out and were cheap. They hold up very well, and my brother uses a small one almost exclusively when hunting. I usually give him knives for all gift occasions, and he has several high-end knives, but carries the Anza. It will hold a razor edge.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links