Best fighting knife - Page 2

Best fighting knife

This is a discussion on Best fighting knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob72 Bigger definitely has advantages, but you have to be able to carry it. KaBar is hard to beat. A lighter alternative ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Best fighting knife

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Bigger definitely has advantages, but you have to be able to carry it.
    KaBar is hard to beat. A lighter alternative is Glock's field knife, very fast in the hand. My EDC fixed is a Shivworks Disciple and or HAK.
    These are all good choices. I love my KaBar for general use although it's a little to "handle-heavy" for my tastes when it comes to using it as a fighter. The Disciple is on my "I want it" list.
    photo from www.shivworks.com

Bruce, you might also look at some of SOG's knives, particularly the SEAL Pup. I've heard good things about their knives.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I'm by no means a authority on the subject but we here usually deal with three very different types/styles of knives. The daily carry knife. The fightin' knife. And the "when SHTF",big thick bladed camping knife. As a civilian in everyday affairs you carry what would suit you best. A compromise is always in order. Same as in the military in some far off place that you have limited support. I have several big knives that are always with me while roaming the river swamps of Fla.,or while fishing or hunting from my boat. A K-bar(D2) and a couple different styles of Gerbers come to mind. These can be used for chopping or hacking wood for fires,digging bait for snairs and deadfalls,and general camp chores. These to me are not a civilian "fighting knife". But they could surely be a military fighting knife. A fighting knife is,to me,something that you do research on,shop for,purchase,and carry for the sole purpose of fighting another human being with. These blades can/should be anything that you wish them to be. Exactly what you wish them to be. No compromise. If you got a phonecall from the badest BG,and he invited you to a knife fight,what blade would you take with you. Pick a fighting knife while considering this. Believe me ..... you'll pick a good one. -------

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    Bruce, you might also look at some of SOG's knives, particularly the SEAL Pup. I've heard good things about their knives.
    There was a time when I would have bought one of SOG's knives, but after learning about the way they treated the reservist that worked for them, no thanks.

I did verify that the incident happened while at the SHOT Show and explained to them why I would never buy one of their knives.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I would check out www.darkopsknives.com They are kinda pricey but seem really nice quality. I might end up with one...
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

if you gotta have a fighting knife, get a glock-n-gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    I would check out www.darkopsknives.com They are kinda pricey but seem really nice quality. I might end up with one...
    The reviews I've read about their products have been less than favorable. Here's a review of one of their folders
    http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...highlight=Dark

Yeah, it's a folder not a fixed blade, however if this knife is an indicator of the quality (or lack thereof) of all their knives, I don't want one. IMO your money would be better spent elsewhere.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I usually carry a Benchmade Ascent straight-edge - no serrations. It has a thumb hole but opens easily with a flick of the wrist. Small but always there.

For more serious work I have an Ek Commando Desert Storm issue that I have modified (sacrilege, I know). I've cut the tang down to about 4", replaced the wrapped cord with a thin cherry wood slab handle, new thinner finger guard, and a more discrete leather scabbard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    Please tell me you're joking... these guys are the laughing stock of the knife forums. They make inferior copies of Extrema Ratio's products and their marketing is just absurd. I forget what it was, but there was a major tradeshow where they showed up without any products... their booth was just sheaths.

Their knives may possibly be okay but they're an embarassment to cutlery lovers.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Many years ago I started looking at knives and I found that the many were using Randll's.
    I found two that I thought were what I needed.
    One is the model 2 Fighting Stiletto the other a model 14 Attack both have black micarta handles the 14 has a stainless steel blade.
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3999273

Distinguished Member
    Ka-bar #1480 TDI for me...

I collect knives. The one I find myself carrying the most is a Gerber Mini-Covert. I also keep a Ka-Bar and a spec plus Machette in my Jeep. If I had to rely on a fixed blade type knife I would rely on my Recon Tanto from Cold Steel, it is one I keep on my Pistol belt for Bug out emergencies. Here in E.Tx I have on occaision walked around town,including Wally-World, with my Ka-Bar hanging off my belt and never gained a second glance from anyone.

RSSZ really pegged it. If you mean a "Fighting Knife", for EDC, you'll need to take a minute, and see how you grab, under stress, and where it's easiest to grab from. Also, it doesn't have to be big, 3" will reach all the important stuff in someone. "Sabers"(5" and up) and DE are wicked, but I've seen a couple (and heard of more) stabbings, where the stabber injured themselves while clinched-easier to do with a longer blade, or a DE.

I've found that IWB, strong-side, vertical draw, and off-side, belt-line, horizontal draw work best for me. Grip is about what you'd expect-hammer fist. Folders are more PC, and easier to conceal, but it's no contest, if someone is already on you- fixed blade is better.

I'm dying to try one of these:
    http://www.americankami.com/fixed.html

THe mini-Persian, or Sol Tanto. He can make to your specs, as well.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paknheat
    Here in E.Tx I have on occaision walked around town,including Wally-World, with my Ka-Bar hanging off my belt and never gained a second glance from anyone.
    Be carefel there amigo, since a blade over 5.5 inches in Texas is an "illegal knife", and, if you wear the knife in public AND conceal carry a pistola, you might get in a bit of a jam, legal wise. You know, packing a weapon during the commision of a crime, etc.

Just a thought.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I am shocked amazed and totally speachless (ok not quite speachless) that no one mentioned the king of spec ops knives..... the Randall. How many an operator did (and still do) go into harms way with a trusty Randall strapped to thier rig? Or what about the Kukri? The famed knife of the Nepal Gurkhas?

For me, I'll stick with my daily carry Emerson CQC-7 and a dinged up Randall (but I did go to a new kydex sheath).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    There was a time when I would have bought one of SOG's knives, but after learning about the way they treated the reservist that worked for them, no thanks.

I did verify that the incident happened while at the SHOT Show and explained to them why I would never buy one of their knives.
    I'm eager to find out what happened. Can you post a link? Never heard about this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links