Best fighting knife - Page 4

Best fighting knife

This is a discussion on Best fighting knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have to join the Ka-Bar crowd. It has been my go to knife since 1961 when it was issed to me. Some knives ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Best fighting knife

I would have to join the Ka-Bar crowd. It has been my go to knife since 1961 when it was issed to me.

Some knives do some things better then my Ka-Bar, but my Ka-Bar does everything good enough

OD*
    Best fighting knife of the few I own, would have to be my Randall #14 with the "Border Patrol" handle.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

It's a tie between my 6" Cold Steel San Mai Tanto or my Cold Steel San Mai Trailmaster.

The smaller blade is faster but the larger blade is more versatile.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Administrator
    That is a beautiful knife OD.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

kabar is what i used many mango seasons ago back in the early 70. still keep it around when i go down south.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That is a beautiful knife OD.
    Thank you sir.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I just sharpen my finger nailsÖ then it's on!

From my limited training in edged weapons (a total of four, 2 or 3 day classes and a good bit of one on one), the trainers, knife makers and guys that actually use knives that I've spoken to all say that for a fighting knife, a 4" to 5" blade is ideal with a spear point and a good belly with a width between 1/8" and 3/16".

Depending on who's thought process you follow, you may train for slashing, cutting and knife locks or you may train for thrusts and stabbing. W type of ithout going into tactics, most of what I have been taught is cutting and slicing, targeting ligaments and tendons to disable the limb/opponent and get them down. With this type of training, the blade length isn't that important, as you are trying to close the distance instead of creating distance and we're not trying to stab someone in the spine from the front.

I carry a nice folder daily, but I also carry about a 4" fixed blade on my support side, blade forward. Though they're mainly tools, it can serve a purpose as a defensive blade, mainly for weapon retention. Depending, I either carry a Strider DB-L or Strider EB/DB, depending. The EB/DB is a recurve with a semi-hollow grind and a deep belly. These are both more than enough for my needs, though they serve very different purposes.

So, if I could choose any knife for fighting purposes, I'd be content with the Strider EB/DB but would probably opt for the Strider Mk1 Mod 10 which is about 10.5" overall with a 5.25" edge.

My EB/DB. It may not be the best, but it's one of the best for meÖ

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

As law prevents anything larger/fixed, for the past 20+ years I have carried either a Spyderco Harpy, or a Buck 110. Knowing the limitations/complexities that these blades present I have spent extra time and pratice on presenting the knife, and using it for everything I can think of to keep "friends" with the blades. The up side, is I can carry these without any legal problems, and do each and every day. So I am "armed" at all times.

Honestly, I dont think I could balance my Harley without one of these knifes on my person. :)

I will never understand why some states do not allow fixed blades. We can conceal folders and fixed with a blade length up to 5.5", though we can't carry blades that are sharpened on both sides or Bowie's for whatever reason.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    I hear you Jon.

The BUSSE Argonne Assault that I bought was OK to be shipped to me in Pennsylvania because I can collect it but, I couldn't legally carry it.
    It's an extremely large fixed blade so I wouldn't carry it anyway but, because it's a Knuck knife with a sharpened double edge I could not even carry it if I was out camping and wanted to use it for utilitarian functions out in the woods.
    I really only bought it as a safe queen that will appreciate in value so....not specifically any problem (for me) but, it's all just incredibly dumb.
    The PA knife laws really need to be updated or changed or eliminated completely.

So I can go out and hack the bushes in my backyard with a 24" machete and take that w/ me camping. I can buy that machete at the local hardware store but, I couldn't "technically" walk off my property with the Argonne Assault LB on my person?

But, at least we don't have any folder blade length restrictions here.

Panawal 13 inch Plain Handle khukuri

OD+,
    Nice Randall Sir! Is that a full tang?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Thank you, sir, and yes it is a full tang.

You can't see all of it in the picture, but you get the general idea.

I have a modest knife collection but don't know the first thing about knife fighting and couldn't legally carry one of them if I did. The Fairbairn-Sykes was an appealing looking knife with a wicked balance in the hand but I don't know how it stacks up against the best modern blades.

Here are a couple of originals from World War II. A Second Pattern (top) and a Third Pattern (bottom) with a World War II issue Webley Mark IV .38/200 shown in between.
    JD likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Very nice, Bryan.

The top one wouldn't happen to be a Wilkinson Sword Ltd?

I use a spyderco endura smooth blade with the Emerson wave. I love this knife. Super sharp and really fast

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links