Best fighting knife - Page 5

Best fighting knife

This is a discussion on Best fighting knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* Very nice, Bryan. The top one wouldn't happen to be a Wilkinson Sword Ltd? Thanks OD*. For me they make great ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Best fighting knife

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Very nice, Bryan.

The top one wouldn't happen to be a Wilkinson Sword Ltd?
    Thanks OD*. For me they make great oversized toothpicks. I think the top one is a Wilkinson. I have a couple of Third Patterns. One is unmarked as is that Second Pattern with the knurled brass handle. Would love to add a First Pattern to finish out a well-used set but even the shabby ones are over $1000 now.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45 View Post
    Like it says, what is the best? I would assume a fixed blade should be a must. whats the best blade length? Also in a fighting knife your going to want some sort of finger protector so when you hit a bone your hand dosn't slide down and get sliced.
    What is the most versital fighting knife?
    Folders are a lot easier to conceal and if you find a decent one that you can open one handed they are great. It's not the knife that matters, it's knowing how to use it, and having the guts to use it in self-defense. You may think it's easy but when a situation happens it's not easy to bring yourself to actually use it. Much different than pulling a trigger... which also isn't that easy... I carry a knife but as a tool, not a weapon, OC spray for unarmed threats, handgun for armed threats...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Administrator
    Well, if folks really like the Fairbairn-Sykes knife style - you can still get an American made Gerber Mark II for a decently reasonable price & while it's not (by any means) an exact copy of the Fairbairn-Sykes - It will at least get you in the ballpark (with a quite similar identical purpose knife style) and it's a very well balanced knife.

Obviously just stay away from the more highly collectible vintage ones which fetch some fairly steep prices.

There are always at least some of them on Ebay - prices are all over the place.

CRKT Hissatsu.

It was designed as a fighting knife from the ground up. 7.13" blade.

IMO, one of the best fighting knives out there is the one used by the german KSK. It's a "Applegate" model. I make knives myself, and a few attributes of a good fighter, in my humble opinion, are:
    - classic double edged blade.
    - Dagger style blade, for a better penetration
    - 1/8 thickness, for an easyer penetration of the human sternum plate.
    - Bottom heavy, for increased speed
    - 1 1/2 inch guard
    - a reasonalbe pommel of some sort, to use as a "punch"
    Will the 1219c do the trick? Of course it will, but keep in mind that it was designed as a military knife, with the use as a tool as well as as a weapon in mind.
    If you are not a trained knifefighter, you're better up running than to try to stand and fight. t is VERY close and personal, and chances are that during the fight, your attacker will be able to grab your knifehand wrist and have as much contrl over the blade as you have. Keep in mind that or very little kynetic energy in a stabbing. All the damage is done by destroying organs or cut tendons. You attacker won't go down after a thrust to the guts. He will bleed, but at least for a short time, until the loss of blood get the best of him, he will stll be able to hurt you.
    Just shoot the BG and get over with it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I have a Cold Steel X2 Voyager always clipped to front pocket. I have carried my Cold Steel Laredo concealed IWB under a t-shirt. Yes its possible. . I have had Lynn Thompson draw a Natchez Bowie from under his shirt on me to prove it could be carried also . I never saw it on him. He is around 5'9" and its larger than my Laredo .
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Hey there, I'm new to the forums, but I thought I would put in my input.

I believe the best self defense carry would probably be an Emerson Combat Karambit. It's not just the gutting and ripping blade style and shape that makes it so appealing either, it's the handle alone. It is probably the most easiest to grip and deploy in a high stress situation. A pinky for the saber grip or index for the reverse grip into the loop hole automatically attaches it to your hand. The grippy checkered g10 mixed with the ergonomic finger placement just really confirms it into your hand. These two things alone really make it an important self defense tool. I personally carry one deployable in saber grip in my right pocket and just save it back. I keep an izula instead on my belt which is so easily concealed by a t-shirt for every other cutting task and plus it's so incredibly easy to sharpen and can take abuse easy compared to a folder. But I've found this belt carrying-izula with emerson in my strong side pocket to be one of the best utilitarian and self-defense carry setup. A leatherman Juice s2 in the watchpocket sewn in the inside of most jeans is a nice touch off too, that way your sd blade is completely saved for emergency use.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Best fighting knife of the few I own, would have to be my Randall #14 with the "Border Patrol" handle.

Just in case someone didn't realized how slick your knife is, I quoted it once again.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My Randall from the 60s

If I could carry any fighting knife it would be a bayonet, however in NC the only thing legal to carry is a folding pocketknife with a handle under 4 inches.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I took a surviving Edged Weapons LE training course and after this class I was actually more concerned with someone armed with an edged weapon than a firearm. I was amazed at what a small blade could do to someone. One of the drills we had to do was to actually square off against someone holding a red marker. The red marker was used to prove to you just how dangerous knives can be. Some of the guys had red marker all over their throat, face, arms stomach you name it. So I think any edged weapon can be very dangerous and we were told the # 1 edged weapon used is a screw driver.

That being said, I prefer Kershaw knives that are Made in the USA. I like the Tanto Blur edition and the Leek. The Blur is reserved for defense purposes only and the Leek is for opening packages etc.

Administrator
    The Israeli Special Forces DuStar ARAD is a great knife and it is very reasonably priced for the great knife that it is.
    I put a convex edge on mine just because I prefer that edge but, it is a superlative knife "as is" in D2 Tool Steel at just the right hardness for D2.

OD* and marcclarke like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The best one I've got is this: Austin's Bowie-in progress pix - Page 2

Big ol' Bowie knife. I guess a sword would be better....but then it might be slower.

This thread is almost 7 years old!

Austin

I have a few that I rotate in EDC that I consider great for defense. A Spyderco Delica 4 Wave, a Spyderco Resilience, and a Kabar TDI. The Delica 4 is my EDC and I occasionally will clip the Resilience in my back pocket for a backup since carrying at work is prohibited.

My Randall 14. Cut Down Tang, Leather with grips, drilled guard (not a common request), brass buttcap, wrist thong, black sheath, all black spacers. Probably my favorite of my Randall's.
    Attached Images

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links