Best fighting knife

This is a discussion on Best fighting knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like it says, what is the best? I would assume a fixed blade should be a must. whats the best blade length? Also in a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Best fighting knife

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Best fighting knife

Like it says, what is the best? I would assume a fixed blade should be a must. whats the best blade length? Also in a fighting knife your going to want some sort of finger protector so when you hit a bone your hand dosn't slide down and get sliced.
    What is the most versital fighting knife?

2. Remove Ads

Whichever one you have with you is the standard answer

I use an Emerson Commander BTS and CQC-8 BTS
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I don't know if there is any optimal fighting knife. In most places, one cannot go down the street toting a big bowie, so in that case, it makes more sense to go with a folder.

I'll tell you what I think it would be, if you could afford one. The most lethal looking fixed blade I ever held was a genuine Bill Bagwell Helles Belle bowie. Ten inches of dangerous looking sharpness.

If I was going somewhere where I could carry a big blade, but not a handgun, and could afford it, I'd carry a bagwell.

In terms of folders, I like the Spyderco Military, the Endura, and the Emerson Commander. I also like the feel of the CRKT M-21, and the Cold Steel X2 Voyager, which I am meaning to buy one of in the near future.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Assistant Administrator
    I'd not feel compromized actually with my beat up old Kabar
    Beans, pacman and dV8r like this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Whichever one you prefer, honestly. Knives are far more subjective than guns.

To be honest, I feel the various caliber debates are far more relevant to actual possible outcomes than knife configurations/designs etc. and I don't think too much of the caliber debate.

The 1219c2(Mark 2,Kabar) has been issued by the US Marines since the WW2 would be my choice. I however have carried a Pal RH36 off and on since 1965 both in and out of military service. The 1219c2 has a 7 inch blade of 1095, the RH36 has a 6 inch blade of 1095.
    Why spend a fortune on a using knife. A new 1219c2(camillus) cost about $40 , a new 1219c2(Kabar) about $45, a neww 1219c2(ontario) about $40. The old 1219c2's of WW2 now run from $100 to $800 depending the make and condition. Rh36 of WW2 now run $45 to $150 depending on condition.
    Beans likes this.

for the last 5 years I have carried a Benchmade Griptillian and I hope to continue doing so... its not made anymore

1952 - 2006
    My fixed blade knife is one made by John Ek. A commando model. It has about a 6 3/4" blade and the handle is wrapped in 550 cord. I have numerous folders but my daily carry is a Benchmade Emerson CQC-7.
    I'm going to purchase a Kabar in the next few weeks to add to the collection.

I just wish I still had the Randall that I carried when I was in Vietnam. That was a great knife.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Knife is not the fighter, the owner is. Thus, don't get caught up in brand name knives carry what you can afford. I would suggest a trip to Wally World they have some good knives for 40.00 bucks. Just my two cents worth.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

As Euc said, this is probably a tougher question than asking which gun is best. Knives are going to be selected based on a number of criteria, probably the most pressing question is what's legal in your locale (fixed or folder, single or double-edge, blade length, etc.). Some people's decisions are also influenced by their training...which knife is best suited to your fighting "style." Really it boils down to finding one you can handle and carry comfortably.

IMO, fixed blades are the best choice for self-defense. Some of the ones I like include the Bagwell bowies and the Loveless Black Bear Classic (produced by Cold Steel). Unfortunately these are large knives that are illegal in most places, and impracticle to carry just about everywhere else. There are a vast number of "medium" sized fixed blades (3.5-5.5") available, ya just have to find one you like.

My current carry knives are a CRKT Companion (see my avatar) and a pair of waved Spyderco Enduras.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Good old Kabar for me.
    Beans likes this.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I ask because I have my sights set on a KaBar 1253 recurve. I have been reading some on hand to hand fighting lately and talking to a edged wepons instructor and he told me that in proboly 70-80% of the confrentations are withen 5-12' and odds are your going to be in a hand to hand situation before you can access your wepon, so just being armed isn't good enough as you need to have strong defensive skills (kinda like what P95's sig says about the piano)

He also told me and demonstrated for me that in a hand to hand situation a "good" fighting knife will take out a attacker quicker than a .45 round.

Lead Moderator
    best fightin' knife is a bayonet. Gives ya distance. Gotta agree , the knife matters a lot less than the user.

Bigger definitely has advantages, but you have to be able to carry it.
    KaBar is hard to beat. A lighter alternative is Glock's field knife, very fast in the hand. My EDC fixed is a Shivworks Disciple and or HAK.

VIP Member
    I'm certainly not a knife fighter (thank goodness), but like kenpotex, I do like my Cold Steel Black Bear Classic. The sub-hilt is great for pulling out if you get stuck , it's almost impossible for your hand to slip onto the blade, and the 8 inch blade can reach just about anything inside somebody. I don't prefer micarta, but that's me.

click on picture for link:

Since I can't legally carry something like that on me, what I can carry on me will suffice. I've been carrying a Benchmade Mini-Stryker. Sharp, durable, with grippy G-10 scales, it's a good work knife that can double up as a defensive weapon if I have to use it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links