Defensive Carry banner

Any one Have experiance with a Battle ax??

7K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  Natureboypkr 
#1 ·
Like this, or something similar?

Tomahawk - Steel Tomahawk - Battle Hawk Tactical Combat Axe - Military Battle Axe

I understand the U.S. Military is starting to carry a battle ax in Iraq & Afghanistan . I think partly because of the psychological effect of a crazed American soldier charging Al Queda <sp> with one of these instead of a knife. it sure would scare the poop out-a-me:embarassed:

I think it would make a great secondary, hand to hand combat weapon?

#2 ·
I have one of these in each of my vehicles

I like the hammer on the back, I find it to be very useful

#3 ·
Now that is a good idea to have one of those in your vehicle. A multi - use tool and weapon for emergencies.

I could see where a tomahawk in the hands of a green beret would be horrifying to an Al Queda terrorist surprised in his spider hole.

#4 ·
The only experience I have is my ex. Got rid of her. I like the look of the Battle Hawk. Looks easy to keep in a vehicle and looks like it could do some damage.

#14 ·
#6 ·
The axe that I carry in my vehicle is a little bit different and designed for use on the fire ground. With it's weight forward balance design it feels great in your hand.

Truckman's Battle Axe

#12 ·
I saw one of those during my time in Iraq, someone in my unit had one. It got carried once, after which it was decided it was too heavy to be of pratical use for patroling. It was well made, but not really practical in Iraq.

#15 ·
#24 ·
I used to make my own hawks and got pretty good at throwing them.

We used to play "handles" with them. Whoever drew a short straw with throw their hawk first, then everyone else took turns trying to stick the their hawk into the handle of the first stuck one. Sounds tough, but with practice a handle didnt last very long.

A tomohawk can be a fearsome weapon. Works great for splitting the pelvis and the rib cage on a deer too.

#26 ·

I have this battle axe myself. It is the Paul Chen Hero's Axe. I have always wanted a double sided battle axe, and this one happens to be fully sharpened and functional. I used to collect swords and this one has been in my collection for a long time and is used as a conversation piece.

#27 ·
Nice one Subnine. I have thought of making one something like that just to hang on a wall.

Here is a picture of one of then many hawks that I built. The handle is Bois'd'arc or Bodark as we call it here. Its the best wood for handles made. Its still very bloody from busting a pelvis on a deer, but it works great for that. Takes the legs off at the joints very easily too. It works so well that I use it on all the deer that I kill and some that I dont.

laying on the 4 wheeler after some use...

placed for safekeeping, and easy to find in the dark...

This one is sharpened on 3 planes, with a fearsome saw edge on top.
Its heavy enough that when stuck into a tree, most people cant get it out without using a leg for leverage.
Sorry for the ugly pics, but they are all I have.

#33 ·
Here is a picture of one of then many hawks that I built. The handle is Bois'd'arc or Bodark as we call it here. Its the best wood for handles made. Its still very bloody from busting a pelvis on a deer, but it works great for that. Takes the legs off at the joints very easily too. It works so well that I use it on all the deer that I kill and some that I dont.
You should really kill the deer first. Otherwise it's just cruel to cut the legs off.

#29 ·
I did use pipe for the eye and it is welded to the head. The head is heat treated 4150, which makes for a very sharp and very tough head that holds its edge well. Its not forged though, it was machined on a milling machine.

I have made all kinds of heads, some of French origin, some of Viking and some of Brit. over the years. I dont make as much as I used to.

#30 ·
I did use pipe for the eye and it is welded to the head. The head is heat treated 4150, which makes for a very sharp and very tough head that holds its edge well. Its not forged though, it was machined on a milling machine.

I have made all kinds of heads, some of French origin, some of Viking and some of Brit. over the years. I dont make as much as I used to.
Do you have a Bridgeport at home or did you make them on "company time" :danceban::image035::banana:

#32 ·
According to legend, Edgar Allen Poe was once challenged to a duel. As the recipient of the challenge, he was allowed to pick the weapons and the place. He chose battle axes in a dark basement. The challenge was withdrawn.
Even small axes take a lot of talent and practice to use effectively, but the psychological effect can be devastating. Know your enemy and his weapons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.