Should I carry my knife at work?

This is a discussion on Should I carry my knife at work? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter "I have nothing to defend myself." Spend some time looking around your work environment for items/objects that can potentially be used ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I carry my knife at work?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I have nothing to defend myself."

Spend some time looking around your work environment for items/objects that can potentially be used aggressively and self-defensively.
    You'll spot many things that can be used as effective weapons in an emergency type situation.
    This is your best advise yet!

Carry your pocket knife if you want but other items around you will probably serve you better. Think impact weapons.

One idea: Locate the fire extinguisher. You can spray B.G. in face and then clonk him in the head with it. Get the idea?

2. Remove Ads

I carry a knife all the time, but it is used as a tool. I carry a Glock to defend myself. If you are going to get fired for carring a wepon, go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdaccount View Post
    I am no expert, but I have been researching the heck outta knife defense, and I have watched several videos on it. I feel I have the basics down, and can use it in during an emergency. I wouldn't be using it for a knife fight (god forbid), but I think it would be more for a robbery. If the robber gets violent, I think my survival odds are higher w/ a knife.
    With all due respect (And I do mean this), but all the research in the world isn't going to prepare you if you don't have first-hand training. Real life scenarios typically are much faster, much stronger, and much more "fight or flight."

I suggest asking yourself whether or not the job is important enough to follow their rules. If you are more concerned with self-protection than job security, I suggest a well concealed pistol (Something like a j-frame or .380 semi-auto hides extremely well). If job security paramounts safety (and there is nothing wrong with that, bills gotta be paid) look around where you work and take inventory of the potential weapons. Many weapons can be used as a Kubaton (An amazing, and often overlooked weapon)
    Beretta 92FS

I would carry a small .380 or .38 special snub nose revolver. If you will get fired over a knife, you might as well carry a gun (if can do so legally otherwise). Give the crooks the money, but if they try to march you and anyone else back to the cooler, you might as well fight back with a gun of your own. I would rather be fired or go to jail then go to the cemetery.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Unless you have a good formal training in edged weapons, a knife is more likely to get you hurt if something happens.
    Sounds like the same argument people use against concealed carry.

I say, carry both a knife and a gun. Tell no one and keep them concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
    Sounds like the same argument people use against concealed carry.
    And those people are right. You need some sort of training to be proficient with any self defense weapon. The thing is, a firearm provides better lethal self defense than a person with a knife if they do not have advanced training.

Aweapon is better than no weapon. Pack what you feel will give you an advantage; just do yourself a favor and get as much training as possible.
    Beretta 92FS

He mentioned he isn't old enough for a CCW. In Florida you have to be 21 to get a CCW right? And also 21 to buy a pistol, right? I think the option for him to just put a J frame 642 in his pocket is in turn, illegal.. Correct?

The knife violates policy, not a law. The gun could get him in serious trouble with the law. Carry the knife and as someone else says, look for things you can use. Its a restaurant, and a pizza one at that. Don't you have those huge metal pizza peels that you put them in the oven with? Id much rather club someone with that than be 3 inches from them with a pocket knife.

You could always try to work at a better location, even if it is the same type job. And also, as someone says, give them the money if they demand it. Pizza Hut's money is not worth your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    With all due respect (And I do mean this), but all the research in the world isn't going to prepare you if you don't have first-hand training. Real life scenarios typically are much faster, much stronger, and much more "fight or flight."

I suggest asking yourself whether or not the job is important enough to follow their rules. If you are more concerned with self-protection than job security, I suggest a well concealed pistol (Something like a j-frame or .380 semi-auto hides extremely well). If job security paramounts safety (and there is nothing wrong with that, bills gotta be paid) look around where you work and take inventory of the potential weapons. Many weapons can be used as a Kubaton (An amazing, and often overlooked weapon)
    No offense taken. Thanks for writing this. I fought MMA for a while and my even though I sparred and boxed and grappled my first fight, it was like a whole new experience. Things change when your hit in the head quite a few times.

To everyone else; Thank you for the feedback!

I don't think I would fight them for Pizza Hut's money, but if they hit me or try to hurt me, I will fight back. I just learned of another hold-up alarm under the cash register, which also makes me feel a little bit safer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links