Defensive Carry banner

Should I carry my knife at work?

8K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  3rdaccount 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I work at a Pizza Hut delivery store. I work inside, and I never deliver. It is against company policy to carry a knife, and I can be terminated on the spot for carrying one.
I just got a gerber fastdraw (first real folder for me), and I really want to carry it at work. I have having nothing to defend myself. Their is a vault with about $1000 in the back, and for some STUPID reason, their is not a single camera inside :confused:. Honestly, its an ideal place to rob. To make it even worse, its near the ghetto.
So, should I carry? A few weeks ago I said to my manager "It sucks how you can't have a knife at work." She replied "Yes you can; a pocket knife." Thats not true, but I think they'll be a little lenient if they see it.
I'm a good worker and do nothing to draw attention. If I do, I won't even tell my best friend, who works with me. I will tell NO ONE.
So once again, should I carry???
P.S their are always hobos and "Riff Raff" in the parking lot at night, and its poorly lit.

#2 ·
Well, if you're going to get fired over a knife, you might as well CCW a sidearm...tell no one.:ziplip:
I am assuming that it is not illegal for you to do so, just against company policy.:banned:
I'd rather be looking for a new job, than having relatives looking for a nice burial plot.:yup:

OMOYMV

#4 ·
Yes my knife is legal for florida, but, sadly enough, I am not old enough to get a CCW.
I'm pretty sure two drivers CCW. Lol, I asked one guy if he has a CCW (because someone told me he did) and he replied with; "Yes, and I take them EVERYWHERE." The other guy is a former marine.

#3 ·
Nope. Unless that manager is willing to put it in writing with her signature on it, and even then, I would probably call HR and ask. I know, it's very tempting, especially when there is some justification, but IMO it would be wrong to advise you otherwise.

#5 ·
Unless you have a good formal training in edged weapons, a knife is more likely to get you hurt if something happens.

#6 ·
I am no expert, but I have been researching the heck outta knife defense, and I have watched several videos on it. I feel I have the basics down, and can use it in during an emergency. I wouldn't be using it for a knife fight (god forbid), but I think it would be more for a robbery. If the robber gets violent, I think my survival odds are higher w/ a knife.

#11 ·
Thats possible, but I think its better than nothing. I actually worked tonight, and kept it in my pocket with no trouble. I think I will continue. If were going to get robbed, and the robber(s) get violent, I want to atleast be able to put up a fight.:comeandgetsome:

#12 ·
Honestly i would not risk my life, especially with a knife, for pizza huts money. I mean maybe if i thaught this robber was going to kill me or my peers, but in most situations i would try to give him the money and let him go. Then call the police.

#15 ·
"I have nothing to defend myself."

Spend some time looking around your work environment for items/objects that can potentially be used aggressively and self-defensively.
You'll spot many things that can be used as effective weapons in an emergency type situation.

#16 ·
This is your best advise yet!

Carry your pocket knife if you want but other items around you will probably serve you better. Think impact weapons.

One idea: Locate the fire extinguisher. You can spray B.G. in face and then clonk him in the head with it. Get the idea?

#19 ·
I would carry a small .380 or .38 special snub nose revolver. If you will get fired over a knife, you might as well carry a gun (if can do so legally otherwise). Give the crooks the money, but if they try to march you and anyone else back to the cooler, you might as well fight back with a gun of your own. I would rather be fired or go to jail then go to the cemetery.

#22 ·
He mentioned he isn't old enough for a CCW. In Florida you have to be 21 to get a CCW right? And also 21 to buy a pistol, right? I think the option for him to just put a J frame 642 in his pocket is in turn, illegal.. Correct?

The knife violates policy, not a law. The gun could get him in serious trouble with the law. Carry the knife and as someone else says, look for things you can use. Its a restaurant, and a pizza one at that. Don't you have those huge metal pizza peels that you put them in the oven with? Id much rather club someone with that than be 3 inches from them with a pocket knife.

You could always try to work at a better location, even if it is the same type job. And also, as someone says, give them the money if they demand it. Pizza Hut's money is not worth your life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.