Should I carry my knife at work?

This is a discussion on Should I carry my knife at work? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I work at a Pizza Hut delivery store. I work inside, and I never deliver. It is against company policy to carry a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I carry my knife at work?

Hey guys, I work at a Pizza Hut delivery store. I work inside, and I never deliver. It is against company policy to carry a knife, and I can be terminated on the spot for carrying one.
    I just got a gerber fastdraw (first real folder for me), and I really want to carry it at work. I have having nothing to defend myself. Their is a vault with about $1000 in the back, and for some STUPID reason, their is not a single camera inside . Honestly, its an ideal place to rob. To make it even worse, its near the ghetto.
    So, should I carry? A few weeks ago I said to my manager "It sucks how you can't have a knife at work." She replied "Yes you can; a pocket knife." Thats not true, but I think they'll be a little lenient if they see it.
    I'm a good worker and do nothing to draw attention. If I do, I won't even tell my best friend, who works with me. I will tell NO ONE.
    So once again, should I carry???
    P.S their are always hobos and "Riff Raff" in the parking lot at night, and its poorly lit.

Well, if you're going to get fired over a knife, you might as well CCW a sidearm...tell no one.
    I am assuming that it is not illegal for you to do so, just against company policy.
    I'd rather be looking for a new job, than having relatives looking for a nice burial plot.

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nope. Unless that manager is willing to put it in writing with her signature on it, and even then, I would probably call HR and ask. I know, it's very tempting, especially when there is some justification, but IMO it would be wrong to advise you otherwise.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well, if you're going to get fired over a knife, you might as well CCW a sidearm...tell no one.
    I am assuming that it is not illegal for you to do so, just against company policy.
    I'd rather be looking for a new job, than having relatives looking for a nice burial plot.

OMOYMV
    Yes my knife is legal for florida, but, sadly enough, I am not old enough to get a CCW.
    I'm pretty sure two drivers CCW. Lol, I asked one guy if he has a CCW (because someone told me he did) and he replied with; "Yes, and I take them EVERYWHERE." The other guy is a former marine.

jfl
    Unless you have a good formal training in edged weapons, a knife is more likely to get you hurt if something happens.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Unless you have a good formal training in edged weapons, a knife is more likely to get you hurt if something happens.
    I am no expert, but I have been researching the heck outta knife defense, and I have watched several videos on it. I feel I have the basics down, and can use it in during an emergency. I wouldn't be using it for a knife fight (god forbid), but I think it would be more for a robbery. If the robber gets violent, I think my survival odds are higher w/ a knife.

What about a can of OC pepper spray, at least you have distance on your side?

why has no one said it yet?

CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED.

i worked at a fl pizza hut for a year and had a knife in my pocket everyday. i was not aware it was not allowed.

Most robberies especially in your situation are going to take place outside of arms distance. Knives being contact distance weapons would usually preclude you from deploying one in your circumstances. Knives are best used for cutting people off of you.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Most robberies especially in your situation are going to take place outside of arms distance. Knives being contact distance weapons would usually preclude you from deploying one in your circumstances. Knives are best used for cutting people off of you.- George
    Thats possible, but I think its better than nothing. I actually worked tonight, and kept it in my pocket with no trouble. I think I will continue. If were going to get robbed, and the robber(s) get violent, I want to atleast be able to put up a fight.

Honestly i would not risk my life, especially with a knife, for pizza huts money. I mean maybe if i thaught this robber was going to kill me or my peers, but in most situations i would try to give him the money and let him go. Then call the police.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Best advice yet. They want the money, give them the money. They want your life, take theirs first.

Just about anything is better than nothing.

Administrator
    "I have nothing to defend myself."

Spend some time looking around your work environment for items/objects that can potentially be used aggressively and self-defensively.
    You'll spot many things that can be used as effective weapons in an emergency type situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links