Automatic knives with adequate hand protection

This is a discussion on Automatic knives with adequate hand protection within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have several automatic knives that work very nicely however I hestitate to carry them for self defense. The idea of a knife as a ...

Thread: Automatic knives with adequate hand protection

Automatic knives with adequate hand protection

I have several automatic knives that work very nicely however I hestitate to carry them for self defense. The idea of a knife as a last chance weapon is fine, but I would like to find one that isn't going to cut off my fingers if I have to use it. The autos and folders I have seen all have very little protection to prevent your hand from sliding up the hilt if you try and thrust with the knife. Obviously I 'll take cut fingers if the knife prevents me from suffering grave injury or death. It would be nice however to have one that doesn't cut the hell out of you if you have to use it. Any knife suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

auto's are cool but they're not a very good choice for SD.

that aside, the only ones I can really think of off the top of my head that will fit your criteria would be from Benchmade or M.O.D.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

mrm
    If I was looking for a good sd knife it would be the crkt m16 knife with the easy flip on the back, keeps fingers where they belong.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    The SD knives I carry or primarily for slashing...as in someone has ahold of me or trying to get my gun....folder pocket knife clipped in left pocket, and on duty my TDI. The TDI can be thrust easily but blade length isn't that great (for what I carry). My other knife is a SOG Seal Pup....which is great for thrusting but I keep it in the car.
    Get to a knife store if you can. Just like a pistol, get your hands on some to tell which ones have a grip like you're wanting.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    auto's are cool but they're not a very good choice for SD.

that aside, the only ones I can really think of off the top of my head that will fit your criteria would be from Benchmade or M.O.D.
    I agree. I do love my Mircotech OTF just for playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    Get to a knife store if you can. Just like a pistol, get your hands on some to tell which ones have a grip like you're wanting.
    If anyone is ever up around Pigeon Forge, TN there is a knife shop up there in Sevierville. It's absolutely HUGE. My parents live about 20 min from there and I love to go over there. I'd venture to say that they have anything you could need/want there.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    anyone around the Texas Panhandle should go to Knives Plus in Amarillo
    Great people and huge selection
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    My Benchmade AFO and Gerber auto both have decently deep finger grooves that prevent any slippage. I don't think they are very good for SD though with the opening mechanisms. You have to change your grip considerably after opening them, and if the button gets stuck, there's no other way to open it.

I carry a "waved" knife now...it opens cleanly out of the pocket, and if it doesn't catch right, I still have a thumb stud or wrist flick I can open it with. When I draw it, my hand is almost in a good grip, just have to put the fingers back around it after it opens.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    anyone around the Texas Panhandle should go to Knives Plus in Amarillo
    Great people and huge selection
    I used to shop there...cool store.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Boker Automat Kalashnikov

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The good old Italian Stiletto and many lever locks have a hand guard.
    Italian Switchblade Knives,mail orders,switchblades

Quote Originally Posted by JEAM View Post
    Boker Automat Kalashnikov
    Those are fun to play with until the spring decides to take a vacation and propel itself to parts unknown...That knife is not nearly as appealing when it's no longer an automatic.

Matt K.

If your looking for a good auto I personally love Microtech's OTF (but it's a bit pricey) another great route to go is anything Benchmade especially in their Black class. The make several autos that are awesome. It's their tactical line they make for armed professionals and honestly they're the toughest knife and Benchmade as a knife company has the best support I've ever dealt with.

Side note:

Couple of great knives I've dealt with that I love:

1) The Benchmade Griptillian with D2 steel and a combo serrated edge. It has the Axis lock which is pretty quick opening.

2) Microtech's OTF, they have several models and when you open it, it feels like it's going to pop out of your hand, it's a great knife but too expensive for me.

3) Also Ontario Knives RAT (Randall's Adventure and Training) knives are great made and feel great in the hand.

Grip Tape(the skateboard variety that people often use on their firearms) or even A-Grip, both can be used and applied quite neatly using homemade templates to cut them in the shape of scales etc.. it can add considerable traction.

2)For SD practice, focus on snap cuts and slashing offending limbs ..stabbing only if the opportunity presents itself, ie: when forced into a clench, then only to Soft areas and Not the ribs, chest etc.. as that can stop the blade very abruptly.

Push-cutting(stabbing) really tests an OTF auto in the first place, as their action is of questionable strength..by design :)
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Links