My lady's new knife!

My lady's new knife!

This is a discussion on My lady's new knife! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I finally convinced my girl to carry a knife for personal defense. I went to the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store here in Golden, Colorado. ...

Thread: My lady's new knife!

Thumbs up My lady's new knife!

So I finally convinced my girl to carry a knife for personal defense. I went to the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store here in Golden, Colorado. A very helpful girl that knew the history of almost every single knife on display helped me in looking around the store at their MANY, many different knives... I picked this up:

On the other side of the blade it reads: "Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth". Cute.

The Spyderco Native Pink

Yes it's Pink and it's sales help breast cancer victims by supporting the Breast Cancer Network of Strength™

The Story
    Finally, after my (constant and unending) recommendation that she carry a knife for personal defense, she agreed and now has one! I always worried (still do) about her off by herself with no backup, her looking like she is 16-17 doesn't help (she is 21). She is 5' 2" @ 105lbs. Tiny little thing. She says that if she was ever attacked she would never be an easy victim and would always fight back. But I've been concerned about her effectiveness unarmed against a larger attacker. One time (playing) I told her to knock me down. She charged me with a short running start, bounced off, and fell on her bum. Then she tried to pull me down, I had to adjust my stance a little. She isn't weak by any means, in fact she is in great shape and very strong for her size, she just doesn't have the weight to back it. She has taken a personal defense class, I believe her college requires it, and it included situational awareness and how to use pepper spray. But if some guy twice her size gets her in a bear hug, well in spraying him you risk spraying yourself, and I have seen police videos about how pepper spray can have about zero effect on drunken people. Better to slash or stick 'em I think.

So now I am very pleased that she has a sharp little surprise for any BG that would attempt to mug her or worse. She is a vicious little fighter when we play fight (Ya'll do it too don't laugh) and I would HATE to be on the receiving end of her with a knife. When she fights she reminds me of the guy in the war movies who will get shot three times but still charge into the enemy bunker and take them all out with a combat knife.

ANYWAY!
    In ME news:

I looked around in Spyderco for a fixed blade to replace my Kershaw folder. The blade lock fails and I don't trust it.

I got mine from the SnapOn truck so it has SnapOn etched in the blade.

Well I looked around the store and the knives were a bit too large, not to mention a bit off budget so I didn't acquire a new knife today for myself.

I will look around in the thread "http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ade-carry.html" for ideas on what to get but any offered recommendations for 3.5" or less fixed blades will not be overlooked! I'm looking for something that's handle isn't much thicker than the blade and that has stoppers to stop your hand from slipping forward onto the blade. Preferably that comes with a kydex holster that clips onto a 1.5" belt or even IWB.

Also, a question, I have always known the law here in Colorado to be you can carry a 3.5" or less blade but I do not know where to find it in writing that I can understand. So if anyone in Colorado can tell me a good place to find that I would appreciate it.

But most excitingly!

Today I FINALLY picked up my EDC/Tactical-Defense/For-Whatever flashlight. I decided to put it here in the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons section because it is a defensive tool, and if need be weapon with it's pointy bezel. I had to make a tough choice between the E2D and the E2DL (LED). The E2D was priced 110 bucks and the E2DL was about 150. The LED one is about twice as bright (120 lumens) as the other but I decided on the Surefire E2D "Executive Defender" because it is shorter than the E2DL, and it 60 lumens is plenty bright to disorient someone. The E2D is 4.9" and the E2DL is 5.4" and was just a bit too long for a comfortable EDC. Call me crazy but that extra half inch was just too much. I have wanted one for the longest time so today I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and picked it up.

Wow! That makes it look huge!!!

But seriously:

So far I am very pleased with it and have actually gotten used to wearing it surprisingly quickly... like... 6 hours.

Well that is my news for the day... I'm actually thinking about getting that Spyderco Native in black for myself... it is a very nice knife.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Nice pick-ups. I think I would have paid the differance for the LED, but I prefer the increased battery life and bulb life. Either way you have a great light.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Yeah deadeye it was a really tough decision, it was the size that sold me not the price. I can always buy the LED one at a later date, or wait til they come out with the new lighting technology.

Or if I just get sick of replacing the bulbs. But, my buddy has had his for about 5 years and has replaced the bulb one time. The batteries have a 10 year shelf life and I'm not going to be using it everyday so battery life wasn't a huge factor. They sell an LED conversion for it, but it is 100 bucks, LoL. I would just buy the whole lite for 50 bucks more. But now I got to save my monies for my next purchase, a Sig 556 or a Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Is a tough choice... and I got a lot of time to think about it and by the time I have enough money they may have something out I want instead.
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Congrats on getting your girl to carry a knife and on finding a "pink" one for her nonetheless. The two of you should consider taking a defensive knife course together.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Congrats on getting your girl to carry a knife and on finding a "pink" one for her nonetheless. The two of you should consider taking a defensive knife course together.
    I actually hadn't thought about that... strange. That is an excellent yet obvious idea that I should have thought of myself. Blah I been up since 3pm yesterday I may not be thinking at 100%

Thank you eagle5. I will definitely look into it, funding pending, unfortunately because of my spending I will have to pass on buying food for this month. Well almost, I been spending about 40 bucks a month for food. I cut it in half by buying the E2D though. Ran out of play money. Maybe when she is on summer vacation from school I can convince her parents to fund a defensive knife course for us. Her dad spares no expense when it comes to her education so I don't see why it would be any different when it comes to her defense. Thanks again eagle5 for whacking me in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Ditto that...

Mike Janich is in Colorado, that'd probably be a good place to start.
    MBC | About
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Here's a resource after you've joined the forum:

State Knife Laws, City & County Ordinances - KnifeLawsOnline.com

They have profiled Colorado.

I see a trip to Golden in my future too!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here's a resource after you've joined the forum:

State Knife Laws, City & County Ordinances - KnifeLawsOnline.com

They have profiled Colorado.

I see a trip to Golden in my future too!
    Hey, thanks Rock for posting that. I was looking for a website that had state knife laws.
    God bless our troops!

Did you Lakewood folks know about this:

Boker USA, Inc.
    1550 Balsam Street
    Lakewood, CO 80214-5917
    USA

Do ya'll know if they have a Outlet store?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links