Question about knives in TX

This is a discussion on Question about knives in TX within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok i have read the previous post about the rules and regulation regarding weapon laws in my state, but i didn't really get what i ...

ok i have read the previous post about the rules and regulation regarding weapon laws in my state, but i didn't really get what i needed out of it.(or maybe i just didn't understand)

so my question to any knowledgable TX resident is: do you have to be of a certain age to carry a fixed-blade concealed? or do you need any permit?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

No, no permit issued in Texas covers knives--no permit, no age limit. It is also not prohibited by statute to carry it if it is not an "illegal knife". The way the deadly weapons statute [ 46.01 (6)] reads, an illegal knife is one with a blade over 5.5 inches, a throwing knife, bowie knife, sword, spear, or "dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard"--usually interpreted as meaning double-edged knives may not be carried.

If it is not any of those, it is not classified as a deadly weapon, meaning it can be carried anywhere. I often carry a Cold Steel Kobun with a 5.5 inch blade IWB to school since CC is not allowed there (actually, I carry it other places too, since I am still waiting on my CHL).

I will warn you that while hirundo is correct, individual officers will make up the Penal Code as they go along.

Keep it out of sight and out of mind.

oh it will be out of sight, even my folders stay that way. thanks for the info guys, needed to know before i started to seriously look at these knives:

http://www.crkt.com/images/FIRSTRIKE06.jpg

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    My personal fixed blade knife for concealed carry is the CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion knife. I trained with Bob and his folder designs (he use to carry a CQC-7 but now uses the folding Crawford/Kasper). The fixed blade Polkowski/Kasper is not longer made, but you can still find the occasionally. http://www.fox-intl.com/searchresult.asp?id=2253
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

The CRKT First Strikes are 100% perfectly legal everywhere in the state of Texas. I was seconds away from buying one last weekend, but I got a CRKT M-16 14Z instead, because I could carry it easier.

If you end up getting one, post some pictures. Maybe that'll motivate me to get off my rear end and go buy one.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Senior Moderator
    I will warn you that while hirundo is correct, individual officers will make up the Penal Code as they go along.
    Kinda hard to do when they have a maximum legal length limit aint it ?

Blade length isn't the problem that people face here. It's things like Kershaw's "assisted opening" that gets people into trouble. Even though it is perfectly legal, and not a switchblade by any definition in the law, a lot of officers believe they are illegal switchblades. I've even gotten into arguements with other officers over them. No one is ever prosecuted for it, but a lot of people get arrested and have their knives taken into evidence. The problem with officers not understanding Kershaws is so widespread that I don't let my wife carry one at all, even though we own several nice ones.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

good to know that they are legal...i find it very eas to carry actually. i carry it iwb at about 3:30(though i need to find a better iwb sheath) and it works like a charm. i will get come pics up next week once i get my girlfriends camera over here.

Links