Small self-defense folders for the ladies

This is a discussion on Small self-defense folders for the ladies within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Questions about the best options for arming the ladies in our lives seem to come up all the time. What we are going to discuss ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small self-defense folders for the ladies

Small self-defense folders for the ladies

Questions about the best options for arming the ladies in our lives seem to come up all the time. What we are going to discuss here are two of my favorite small folders for arming women. The number one issue with getting women to carry self-defense tools always seems to be comfort. They are not built like men, and unlike some of us, not willing to let their self-defense tools dictate what they wear. What I like about these two particular knives are their blade design which makes them effective for slashing and ripping as well as their small sizes that ensures they will be carried.

The role of these knives that I considered while selecting these knives was that of a last ditch self-defense folder. A knife that can be carried and accessed during a sexual assault or abduction. Assailants will often turn their backs on female victims, especially those they believed to be unarmed.

In regards to carry options, it would be best if these knives could be carried on the person, but again in reference to the feminine wardrobe this may not always be possible. Pocket or waistband carried is preferred, but having it clipped into a bag that is carried is another option.

The small size of these knives would not lend them to fast deployment during a spontaneous attack. The idea is that these knives are small enough to be palmed and secreted allowing them to be deployed when the opportunity arises.

Regardless of the climate, the attackers face, neck, and hands are likely to be exposed and these are the primary targets for these little blades. The secondary targets, especially during an attack, are going to be the inside of the upper arms and inner thighs targeting the brachial and femoral arteries. Slashing is the most natural defensive action but lends itself to being easily defended against due to the movement outside the silhouette of the attacker. If possible, a better tactic is to use the hooks on the blade, set them into the target areas, and move your whole body causing a ripping injury.

Now that we have covered the selection, carry, deployment, and use, lets look at two of my favorite knives for this role.

First up is the Boker Subclaw designed by Chad Los Banos. This knife, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is the best value in a production knife currently available. Itís claw like blade shape and frame lock design makes it a real winner. It also sports a nice thick pocket clip. Retailing at around $25 makes it a great gift idea. I have spoken to both Chad and Boker about doing a trainer/drone for this model.

The second knife, unfortunately no longer in production by Spyderco, is the Meerkat. If you can find one, expect to pay around $40. This little knife fills the hand better than some much larger knives. The tip of this blade also lends itself to ripping at exposed vital targets.

Once you pick up one of these little knives, or something along the same lines, doing some practice is pretty easy. Take some milk jugs or soda bottles and fill them up with water and hang them up about 5í9 inches from the ground (what the FBI says is the average height of a criminal) and practice both slashing and setting the hook and ripping. You will soon appreciate the effectiveness of these little blades.

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure that the knive is effective in its use, the problem for an inexperienced individual would be bringing it into play. This is one reason I like the Ka-Bar TDI...simply pull to go...
    Respectfully...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Again, understand the appliction. Can't see many ladies carrying the TDI.- George

Lightbulb Subclaw: Great Idea

George:

I bought all of the women in my life the original CLB Subcom F, but after reading this thread, and thinking about "my" ladies' skills, temperaments, and physical attributes, I really like the idea of the CLB Subclaw.

They all carry the Subcom's, and love them, but the Subclaw appears to be a more powerful tool.

Think I'm going to place another Boker order, and add a couple of others for myself too, as well as a Subclaw. Probably look into a TDI too.......thanks to Retsupt.......He he he

Thank you, George! Thank you Retsupt99! You guys just enabled another Boker order! Wooo Hooo!

Would it be suggested to avoid the serrated versions of the TDI as a LDK?

I got to play a bit during our class in Indy with the TDI. Add in another $30 to the price since the factory sheath sucks. As of yet I have not played with one during force on force but from the looks of it the grip angle would be hard to access during stress since people have a tendency to bend forward at the waist. YMMV- George

Can the Subclaw be opened with one hand?

Yes it can.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Yes it can.
    Thanks. I'm going to buy one based on your recommendations. Maybe it will fill a hole where a larger knife cannot, or maybe it can go places a larger knife cannot.

I'll also test it out for my daughter. She might be willing to carry something like that.

It was the first knife I could get my daughter to carry all the time. Here is my favorite location for it.

Grady:

My daughter loves her Subcom - small & light, discrete too. In black.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Grady:

My daughter loves her Subcom - small & light, discrete too. In black.
    I like the looks of the Subcom, being a fixed blade with its immediate deployment potential, but I think my daughter will probably go for the subclaw. You know, it looks less scary with the blade folded up and out of sight.

I'll start with a folder, and then perhaps someday work up to a fixed.

Good for your daughter for being willing to carry a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I like the looks of the Subcom, being a fixed blade with its immediate deployment potential, but I think my daughter will probably go for the subclaw. You know, it looks less scary with the blade folded up and out of sight.
    I may have mislabeled it, Grady. The Subcom F is the little folder like the Subclaw, but with a different blade design. I guess technically, it is called a Subcom F. I called it the Subcom. My mistake. Here the Subcom F my daughter carries:

Yea, I wish she'd carry a fixed blade, but that probably won't happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I may have mislabeled it, Grady. The Subcom F is the little folder like the Subclaw, but with a different blade design. I guess technically, it is called a Subcom F. I called it the Subcom. My mistake. Here the Subcom F my daughter carries:

Yea, I wish she'd carry a fixed blade, but that probably won't happen soon.
    Gotcha. I might have discovered that if I had spent more time on the website, but I was in a hurry. I'll check out all their options in a bit. Decided to order by phone tomorrow instead of online, so I still have time to look at their options. May even have my daughter take a look and see if one interests her more than the others.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    It was the first knife I could get my daughter to carry all the time. Here is my favorite location for it.

I just purchased one of these based on your recommendation and this picture. Where I work, I have to be careful wearing my Kershaw Leek clipped in my pocket because the sheeple get nervous. The leek isn't the most comfortable for IWB appendix carry. For the price, I think this will make an excellent last ditch / deep concealment knife to wear iwb behind the belt. I like the way it tucks away and I can wear it all the time w/o scaring the sheeple. Thanks for your post!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links