Smith & Wesson Knives?

Smith & Wesson Knives?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for an affordable knife to serve as a non self-defense knife and I am curious how well these knives hold up? This ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson Knives?

Smith & Wesson Knives?

I am looking for an affordable knife to serve as a non self-defense knife and I am curious how well these knives hold up? This knife is more likely to cut ropes and the window punch is more likely to find a window than this knife being used in a self defense situation.

I have researched the knives and have drawn some conclusions, however I always look forward to every bodies opinion on the subject.
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I just started carrying a S&W Swat knife. I like it, it holds a decent edge, and comes razor sharp. I lucked out and got a auto version for 35 bucks. Still the knife is smooth, solid, and easy to open and close.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    I am looking for an affordable knife to serve as a non self-defense knife and I am curious how well these knives hold up? This knife is more likely to cut ropes and the window punch is more likely to find a window than this knife being used in a self defense situation.

I have researched the knives and have drawn some conclusions, however I always look forward to every bodies opinion on the subject.
    as long as you're not trusting your life to it, it should be fine.

on the other, hand, you could spend a similar amount of money on a Spyderco or Kershaw, and have a knife you can trust your life to...

good knives ain't cheap, and cheap knives ain't good.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    as long as you're not trusting your life to it, it should be fine.

on the other, hand, you could spend a similar amount of money on a Spyderco or Kershaw, and have a knife you can trust your life to...

good knives ain't cheap, and cheap knives ain't good.
    Do the Spyderco and Kershaws come in at a similar price point (The low end ones anyways)? I understand good knives aren't cheap, and cheap knives aren't good, but I also believe in the law of diminishing returns.
    Beretta 92FS

Spyderco Byrd line. My favorite utility folder is the Al MAR SERE 2000 and I have tried many.- George

Smith and Wesson knives unfortunately do not live up to their namesake. You didn't say which models you were looking at, but Kershaw Leeks can be had on ebay for around 25-30 dollars. They're a great deal! Especially with the assisted opener capability.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Exclamation My 2 cents...

S&W makes a good knife for the money...and I own several. But as others have pointed out, there are better knives...

S&W $20-$35

Gerber $35-$40

CRKT $35-$40

MAGNUM $45-$55

HEN & ROOSTER $100

Let us know what ya decide...!!
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Do the Spyderco and Kershaws come in at a similar price point (The low end ones anyways)? I understand good knives aren't cheap, and cheap knives aren't good, but I also believe in the law of diminishing returns.
    you can get a Spydie or Kershaw around the same price, or even lower; the Byrd line, like Mercop suggested, is a great knife for the money. from Kershaw, you can get a Chive, a Leek, or a Whirlwind, for under $50. for Spydies, a Delica, or a Native, can be had for less than that.

here's a Spydie Native next to a P3AT, for size reference.

i got it at Walmart, for around $30. i went back and bought 3 more, for family and friends. great little knives, great price, and made in America.

The one I've handled seemed poorly made. The edge was not ground right, and the blade was off-center (it was a fixed blade). I shudder to think what their folders must be like, though some of you seem to like them...

EDIT - Were I looking for an inexpensive utility folder, I would probably go with a Cold Steel, a CRKT, or a Spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    EDIT - Were I looking for an inexpensive utility folder, I would probably go with a Cold Steel, a CRKT, or a Spyderco.
    forgot about CRKT!

I have 2 smith Knives and are very happy with them. I trust my life with them when regulations prevent me from trusting my Glock.

Smith gives a full guarantee on the blade and handle while others just guarantee the blade.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

IMHO they are the High Point of the knife world.As others have said if you want cheap go with Byrd but it would be better to spend a little more and get Spyderco.I think the Tenacious is one of the best values out there.

I spent my money on a S&W folder a year ago for my son. Seemed like a great buy at the time, but after a year, the blade just wiggles and flops around very loosely. I'll stick with USA Gerbers from now on for the low cost utility folder knives.

I'd rather buy a CRKT. They're solid low end knives. The S&W knives feel cheap IMHO.

I was given a Smith & Wesson auto knife as a gift. I didn't find that it worked well as a carry knife. The opening lever is located on the back top of the knife, right behind the blade hinge and kept opening up when I carried it. Cut my leg once and fingers twice. I won't carry it any more.

I just purchased a Benchmade Torrent for an EDC knife.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links