Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop

This is a discussion on Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This course was my introduction to self defense training. I've never studied martial arts or boxing or wrestling of any kind. Other than practicing drawing ...

Thread: Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop

Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop

This course was my introduction to self defense training. I've never studied martial arts or boxing or wrestling of any kind. Other than practicing drawing and opening a folder, I've never trained with a knife.
    The MCS Basic Edged Weapons course seemed like it was designed for me personally. It very quickly became obvious that I didn't need a background in martial arts to understand or implement what George was teaching.

The day started with a lecture on SAS (Spontaneous Attack Survival). I'm not sure how long it was because mercop is a friendly, funny, and generally interesting instructor, so I wasn't watching the clock. He demonstrated the most common types of edged weapon attacks (namely a high-right to low-left slash and a straight stab) that you're likely to face on the street.

He covered what he calls Combative Anatomy, showing us how to use natural reactions to stress to defend against those attacks and how to exploit structural weaknesses in an attackers body. Basically, destroy his elbows and he can't attack, destroy his knees and he can't pursue.

Next came the fun part. We partnered up and drilled on a few very simple empty handed techniques that George had demonstrated previously. Then we geared up and did some force on force. FoF was an eye opener. The defensive stuff we'd learned worked very well but most of us were unable to land effective cuts or stabs.

After FoF we went back into lecture mode for a while. George explained the theory behind IET (Inverted Edge Tactics). He showed us the best targets for our defensive folders and a few more simple techniques for diverting an attack and turning the situation to our advantage. At one point George said "I didn't invent holding a knife backwards." but he certainly showed me how effective a knife held backwards can be.

We went back to drilling for a while and then came Force on Force training to kind of bring everything we'd learned together. It worked. In my final FoF session of the day I faced a full speed, full force attack from a guy with an extensive background in martial arts. I was able to hold him off, draw my knife, and land a fatal (I think it would have been a fight stopper too) cut even after being knocked onto my knees. There's no way I could have pulled that off before this class.

Throughout the day I could see that everything I was learning would work equally well against an empty handed attacker or one armed with a stick. It was also clear that the skills I was picking up for transitioning from empty hand to blade would be just as effective for empty hand to pistol.

All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable training session and I learned a ton. I will be attending a Combative Pistol course with mercop next month and I plan to work with him as much as I can in the future.

I can recommend Modern Combative Systems as a training resource without reservation. If you have a chance to work with George, get there!

2. Remove Ads

Matt, thanks for the review. Looking forward to next month. Will be fun, I have more games than Milton Bradley in store for you boys.- George

Administrator
    "I was able to hold him off, draw my knife, and land a fatal (I think it would have been a fight stopper too) cut even after being knocked onto my knees. There's no way I could have pulled that off before this class."

That's a pretty good indicator that you spent your money wisely and on something worthwhile. Staying Alive.....Priceless.

It was awesome, against a pretty rough guy. The guy thought Matt was down and out just as the inverted blade came up and shredded his crotch. Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Matt, thanks for the review. Looking forward to next month. Will be fun, I have more games than Milton Bradley in store for you boys.- George
    You're very welcome George. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That's a pretty good indicator that you spent your money wisely and on something worthwhile. Staying Alive.....Priceless.
    Definitely. It was a hell of a lot of fun too!

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    It was awesome, against a pretty rough guy. The guy thought Matt was down and out just as the inverted blade came up and shredded his crotch. Priceless
    By the end of the day, Default Targeting really sank in. With just a little practice my blade seemed to "want" to go for the right spots.

That is the idea. No wasted cuts, economy of movement. You will see how well the pistol stuff falls into it- George

Links