Emerson Karambit

Emerson Karambit

This is a discussion on Emerson Karambit within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at other edged options lately and really like this Karambit from Emerson. It's a bit pricey, however, it's very well made! ...

Emerson Karambit

I have been looking at other edged options lately and really like this Karambit from Emerson. It's a bit pricey, however, it's very well made! I have seen other makers versions of the Karambit, but don't know how they would hold up over time and use. These knives are not box openers (although I'm sure you could) but strictly a defensive knife.

Here is a link to their site. Any of you have thoughts on this?

Emerson Combat Karambit

I have wanted one for a while, but never seem to shop for one.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

In fact, they seem better suited to box-opening than they do to defensive use. How do you make deep, quick stabs with blade like that?

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    In fact, they seem better suited to box-opening than they do to defensive use. How do you make deep, quick stabs with blade like that?
    You can watch this video and make your own assessment. A karambit isn't for everyone. In the video, Sifu Luke explains about the karambit and the many different moves associated.

YouTube - How to use a KARAMBIT- RAW KNIFE FIGHTING

Senior Moderator
    I have an Emerson Karambit - I like it. The 5.11 version (Steve Taranti design) is dubbed a curved utility blade which I find is an appropriate name. I have found many things it does better than a straight blade. However, there are other tasks that it doesn't do as well as a straight blade.

Of the two, the Emerson and the 5.11, (I have both) I much prefer the Emerson.

A karambit is a fighting knife, especially good for slashing biceps, etc. and throats. In TN, it is illegal to carry 'hooked' knives (can't remember exact word they use) so that's something you'd want to check on in your state.

Emerson has a good video that illustrates a lot of karambit and other SD techniques. It would be a big advantage to watch the DVD.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Nice knife but I'm not a big fan...too "task specific" for my tastes.

As with anything else, if you're going to get one, make sure you get some training.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

IMHO this is the best option for a weapon retention knife. I am not a wave or karambit fan, but I wear a waved EKI Karambit on my reaction side in reverse grip strictly for weapon retention. This is a one trick pony for me. You will also need the trainer as you should have for any SD knife. A 10 second demo during classes has sold many of these.- George

Just a good 'ole' Kershaw's Ken Onion Leek A/O for me...actually, I have two of them...they do it all, and quickly.

Stay armed...with YOUR preference...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I really like the Emerson design but they're a little out of my price range at the moment. I'd definitely recommend getting a trainer blade along with it, slicing hands and fingers open isn't much fun.

If you've got the means to afford one and it's legal in your area to own or carry them, then by all means buy one. If it turns out that it's not quite what you're looking for you can either sell it off on the Forums (Emerson's usually sell quickly) or keep it as a really nice collection piece.
    Jack

I've carried mine daily for two years. Fastest into action of any knife I've carried and some training via one of Emerson's videos is great.

Thanks for the feedback!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    .... In TN, it is illegal to carry 'hooked' knives (can't remember exact word they use)....
    Don't find any reference to this in TCA 39-17-1302 (Prohibited weapons). Prohibitions include switchblades and automatic knives. I'm no lawyer and may need to remember to ask someone in the know. Maybe that's you, Tangle?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

They've recently changed the code it seems. It use to mention hawkbill blades, blades over 4", gravity knives, dirks, daggers, etc. The only reference I found to any of that lately seemed to be geared more toward carrying on school grounds, or maybe it was municipal property (been a while since I looked it up).
    Jack

Links