First Defensive Carry Knife Question

This is a discussion on First Defensive Carry Knife Question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spyderco Endura 3. It's for backup to handgun. I know that this is a deep topic. Please chime in with your hard-won wisdom for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Defensive Carry Knife Question

VIP Member

First Defensive Carry Knife Question

Spyderco Endura 3. It's for backup to handgun. I know that this is a deep topic. Please chime in with your hard-won wisdom for a newbie hungry to learn. One question about form and function, for my purposes, are there any disadvantages to a combo blade (point is plain and half of blade at the handle is serrated)? Thanks for your comments.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new blade! Serrations are more likely to bind in clothing when you withdraw your knife after a cut or stab, or so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Congrats on the new blade! Serrations are more likely to bind in clothing when you withdraw your knife after a cut or stab, or so I've heard.
    Avoid clothing, go for neck/throat.

- OS

I prefer a non-serrated blade for everything except heavy utility work (cutting lots of rope, strap, etc.).

The Endura is a great choice, I've carried one off and on for years and it's always the one I seem to go back to.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I read and researched long and hard before getting my Endura. I went with non-serrated blade as this knife is NOT a work knife, it is a SD, backup to my gun knife. I think for the money (around $60) it's going to be hard to beat.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I ditto the no, no regarding serrations on an SD knife. In addition I like the Spyderco Endura. I've used Endura trainers for years and it is solid knife. Never a problem with grip even when the hand gets a little wet with sweat, strong locking mechanism, great for doing inertial openings, slim when compared to a Benchmade Griptillian so it is comfortable to carry all day.

Now what you need to do is find someplace to train. Just like carrying a firearm. The knife or gun is only as good as the time you put in to train with it.

All in all I don't think the person you cut will notice the difference between the PE and combo edge. Do yourself a favor and pick up and Endura trainer. Also consider under what circumstances you can see yourself using it to back up your pistol-

A back up as in for some reason you cannot carry your pistol so the knife is your primary deadly force option.

You lose control of your weapon during conflict.

You use your knife to retain your holstered gun.

You use your knife to back up a your disabled / out of ammo gun.

What are the best carry / deployment options for these situations. You may find yourself carrying more than one knife- George

VIP Member
    Thanks for all of your comments. I "won" the discontinued Endura 3 on ebay after watching a You Tube Critique of Endura 4. It is a combo so may also be my emergency rope / webbing cutter. I plan to get the trainer and work with it and possible Kali Silat-like instruction as I never carried an SD knife. Thanks again for your good advice. Stay sharp.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    All in all I don't think the person you cut will notice the difference between the PE and combo edge.
    He'll notice if the serrations on that combo edge get hung up on his baggy pants preventing the plain edge portion of the blade from doing its job.

OhShoot - You obviously have not given SD knife use much thought. Your statement above seems to imply that the only targets you would consider are the neck/throat. What about the many other high-value targets? The groin/femoral, heart, subclavian artery, aorta, eyes, etc. may become open to an attack in the course of the fight. You are dangerously limiting your options.

I have investigated a few stabbings/cuttings of those who were wearing baggy pants and from what I saw if the clothes were baggy enough that they prevented the blade from pressing against the skin the cuts negligible no matter what blade it was. For the record it was usually either a box cutter or a serrated pointless steak knife (popular since in can be carried in the pocket or purse without sticking through). Also not to mention the fact that the vast majority were to the hands, face, outside of upper arms and upper back. This one of the reasons I prefer MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Inverted Edge Tactics Teaser Video

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    OhShoot - You obviously have not given SD knife use much thought. Your statement above seems to imply that the only targets you would consider are the neck/throat. What about the many other high-value targets? The groin/femoral, heart, subclavian artery, aorta, eyes, etc. may become open to an attack in the course of the fight. You are dangerously limiting your options.
    It was primarily a facetious comment, should have added a smiley - but also realistically, if I can get a knife in hand during a close struggle, I've always thought that neck/throat/face/eye would be best accessible area.

- OS

It is also an easy area for your opponent to guard with his hands/arms, leaving targets open down below.

Even in cold climates the head/face/neck and hands are usually exposed. The people wear big heavy coats with one light layer over the legs/groin.- George

Mercop

[QUOTE=mercop;1122133]I have investigated a few stabbings/cuttings of those who were wearing baggy pants and from what I saw if the clothes were baggy enough that they prevented the blade from pressing against the skin the cuts negligible no matter what blade it was. QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to situations where the blade can't be pressed against the attacker through the cloths. In that case you're correct, it won't matter what type of blade you're using. If you can press the blade against the attacker, with a layer of clothing between blade and flesh, a serrated edge tends to get hung up on the clothing rather then make a clean cut through the clothing into flesh.

The above is based on cutting test using various types of blade types/geometries through demin into "flesh" (large sections of pork or beef).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links