OTF In Texas

This is a discussion on OTF In Texas within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im sure its been covered in here somewhere but i cant find it so....i want to buy an otf knife here in Texas so do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OTF In Texas

OTF In Texas

im sure its been covered in here somewhere but i cant find it so....i want to buy an otf knife here in Texas so do i need to have to have some sort of license to buy it?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

This may be dumb, but what is an OTF knife?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Glad someone asked that!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Out The Front. A form of Auto knife like a switchblade, but it comes straight out the front.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    here ya go:

it is a prohibited weapon, switchblades not allowed....no license....not allowed period,
    that being said....you can buy one online, etc....but if you get caught with it....Class A misdemeanor

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
    (1) an explosive weapon;
    (2) a machine gun;
    (3) a short-barrel firearm;
    (4) a firearm silencer;
    (5) a switchblade knife;
    (6) knuckles;
    (7) armor-piercing ammunition;
    (8) a chemical dispensing device; or
    (9) a zip gun.
    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct was incidental to the performance of official duty by the armed forces or national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a correctional facility.
    (c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as amended.
    (d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
    (1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio; or
    (2) was incidental to dealing with armor-piercing ammunition solely for the purpose of making the ammunition available to an organization, agency, or institution listed in Subsection (b).
    (e) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section for the possession of a chemical dispensing device that the actor is a security officer and has received training on the use of the chemical dispensing device by a training program that is:
    (1) provided by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education; or
    (2) approved for the purposes described by this subsection by the Texas Private Security Board of the Department of Public Safety.
    (g) In Subsection (f), "security officer" means a commissioned security officer as defined by Section 1702.002, Occupations Code, or a noncommissioned security officer registered under Section 1702.221, Occupations Code.

"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

"Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    You can buy one, if you can find a dealer who will sell you one. Keep it in your car's trunk on the way home, and obey every traffic law while enroute. Then, leave it inside your home forever. I am not a lawyer, but do wear a badge and enforce Texas laws. I do NOT give "legal advice."

Actually, there is one license that will make purchase and carry of a switchblade legal in Texas, that being a peace officer's license, which is only in effect if you are employed as a peace officer. No, you don't need to be a peace officer to buy or own a switchblade in Texas, but many dealers will only sell to police/military, and Texas peace officers can legally carry virtually any weapon, as far as STATE law is concerned.

i heard if you had a curio license, like a collector you could possess a switchblade, just not carry it around. Texas knife laws are so complicated. i have knives that are way more dangerous than switchblades.
    thanks for the answers everybody and rexster and 64zebra , i just think they are interesting knives that's all.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

What about a standard pocket knife that has an "assisted opening" feature?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    What about a standard pocket knife that has an "assisted opening" feature?
    judging by this...
    "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.
    I would guess no.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

OTF= BELLY knife ;)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    judging by this...

I would guess no.
    Actually most states have their anti-switchblade laws worded in a similar fashion.

The way the spring assisted knife skates between the letters of the law is through the key words, being button or actuator on the handle ..an assisted is fired from a thumb stud, quillion or flipper that is located on the blade itself (also with no mechanical buttons).

Another way they skate by is that an assisted knife doesn't use a pre-compressed spring (as some states have it defined) instead they use a cam like action that loads and fires the blade at a certain point through the throw.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i heard if you had a curio license, like a collector you could possess a switchblade, just not carry it around. Texas knife laws are so complicated. i have knives that are way more dangerous than switchblades.
    thanks for the answers everybody and rexster and 64zebra , i just think they are interesting knives that's all.
    whats complicated about the knife law? I quoted it in my post

if it has a switch/button on the handle that opens or helps open the knife then its illegal...and:
    (d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
    (1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio

....and I know what you're saying about other knives that are more dangerous
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Administrator
    Prohibited means he cannot own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    You can buy one, if you can find a dealer who will sell you one. Keep it in your car's trunk on the way home, and obey every traffic law while enroute. Then, leave it inside your home forever. I am not a lawyer, but do wear a badge and enforce Texas laws. I do NOT give "legal advice."

Actually, there is one license that will make purchase and carry of a switchblade legal in Texas, that being a peace officer's license, which is only in effect if you are employed as a peace officer. No, you don't need to be a peace officer to buy or own a switchblade in Texas, but many dealers will only sell to police/military, and Texas peace officers can legally carry virtually any weapon, as far as STATE law is concerned.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

switchblade knives are legal to buy and own as a "collector item" in Texas
    don't have one in your pocket when you're pulled over for traffic stop

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    switchblade knives are legal to buy and own as a "collector item" in Texas
    don't have one in your pocket when you're pulled over for traffic stop
    if the dealer will sell it to you,
    a lot won't unless you show LE id
    that being said, unless it is a antique or curio, possession of any switchblade is illegal, even in your own home, not just out in public
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links