Defensive Carry banner

MOD Knives

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dingle1911 
#1 ·
What are your opinions in Blackhawks MOD knives. I think look like they are very high quality. Does anyone have any personal experience with their folders?

#3 ·
I handled a few a little while back at AUSA conference and wanted about 20 of them. Solid quality and I'm a huge fan of the design. Unfortunately, I like the one's that are in the $200 neighborhood so I haven't bought one yet, but I don't think they would disappoint.

#4 · (Edited)
I've owned and still have several MOD knives - the Ladyhawk, the Razorback, the CQD Mark II, the Hornet, and the Scorpion. I no longer have the Hornet (didn't like the grip) and the Scorpion (the Scorpion's grip was too tiny, even for my small hands, and it was too easy for the hand to slide over the blade, even with the handle cord-wrapped).

I like their knives. They are well made.

My favorite of the bunch is the CQD Mark II, the little brother to the big Mark I. It's got a stout body and strong blade and a glass-breaker at the end. I almost thought I had to use the glass breaker to retrieve a lady who lost control of her vehicle and landed in a pond. (Luckily, she waded out OK before I could arrive.) The Mark I is a big, beefy knife and has a Seatbelt cutter.

I do like the fixed-blade Razorback.

What I can't stand is some of their marketing gimmicks, like writing "the total absence of fear" on their packaging in big letters. It's the overdone "super-duper-uber-tactical" garbage that makes the company look silly and the knife owners look like ninja wannabes.

#5 ·
Yeah I'm not to keen on companies claiming their product(s) are unbeatable. Anything thats mechanical can fail. Betty the Mark II seems like a great knife. I like the glass breaking tip in the handle, very funtional. Thats actually the knife I am most interested in.

#6 ·
I lost my CQD MK1 in the snow for 3 days, it was in the driveway and was run over by probably 20 cars or so over the 3 days, it rusted VERY little, and worked fine after that, then it rusted shut one night when I was cutting open salt bags at work and forgot to rinse it off, I scrubbed the rust off, and it still works fine to this day.

#7 ·
Betty said:
What I can't stand is some of their marketing gimmicks, like writing "the total absence of fear" on their packaging in big letters. It's the overdone "super-duper-uber-tactical" garbage that makes the company look silly and the knife owners look like ninja wannabes.
Shouldn't that be knife owners look like tactile mall ninja wannabes?

#9 ·
I'm not the biggest fan of MOD. I had 2 Dieters (manual and auto). The traction tape easily comes off, with exposure to petroleum based agents. Not a big deal, normally, but if you work EMS or similar, I would peel it off, and put a dab of Goop in the recess, and reapply.

The blade coating and grinds are excellent. The screws, however are blued/oxided steel, and thread into the aluminum frame, without the benefit of steel thread inserts. Read: easily stripped. The screw heads were also prone to rust, carried IWB.

Internally, the blade does not have bushings, but "integral" bushings, consisting of a raised area in the frame, hard anodized like the rest of it. Nitride coated tool steel is not overly forgiving to aluminum, even with anodizing.

My observation relate only to the Dieters that I owned, and there may have been design upgrades, since I sold them. (To their credit, MOD was very helpful, in sending me new screws and grip tape, after my knife was immersed in diesel and water.) For the money, I just believe there are much better options available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.