Gerber Mark 1

Gerber Mark 1

This is a discussion on Gerber Mark 1 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For several years I have been trying to "replace" my Gerber Mk 1 that was "lost" a couple years ago on a trip to a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Mark 1

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar

Gerber Mark 1

For several years I have been trying to "replace" my Gerber Mk 1 that was "lost" a couple years ago on a trip to a foreign land for fun and games.

I have cried each time I reached my maximum bid on the evil eBay till yesterday. I have watch a good Gerber Mk 1 go for as much as $170 till yesterday when I picked one up for less than $80. Ok I feel bad for the seller, but for me, I am one happy dude.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Good deal Steve - big difference between $170 and $80

Patience wins the day - often does. Oh and - it will needless to say be coming to a good home!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The MK1 Yes mine is retired now like me But we visted many places together in those olden days both in uniform and Civ. Just something about them.. That little feeling of comfort they seem to provide.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

As soon as its sharpened it will slip back behind my pistol and back to work (hopefully with less excitement than the last one had).
    Steve

Gerber Marks...

I am a big fan of the Gerber MKII Boot knife... especially the older L6 tool steel blades....

Quote Originally Posted by hassiman
    I am a big fan of the Gerber MKII Boot knife... especially the older L6 tool steel blades....
    Yep, I had one in my helmet bag, it's now in my bug-out-bag.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Administrator

The Gerber Mark Series

The Gerber Mark Series Knives have all become decently collectible.
    I sold one (mine) on Ebay & it fetched me a very decent final price.

Mine was a very early uncommon one that was actually .25" different in length from the more common ones & with unusual sheath stampings.
    It was in 99%+ condition (with a few chips to the powder coated handle but with its original - never sharpened - edge. The blade was perfect. The sheath had a couple of scratches. Somebody got a super deal because my particular knife was an early Mark variation.

I believe that CLASS3NH also sold a few of his Gerber Mark knives on Ebay as well.

I sold mine because it was classed as illegal for carry in Pennsylvania since it fell into the stupid "Dagger" restricted knives category.

I figured that if I couldn't ever legally carry it....then why keep it ???

So...I sold it & never looked back.

Congrats on getting a good deal on a great knife. I have had my Mark I since the 70's, and carry it frequently. The very tip of the point chipped off somewhere along the way, but that seems to happen to most Mark I's that see real use. I ground the chip out and fashioned a new, sharp tip. I can still use it to shave.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The Gerber Mark Series Knives have all become decently collectible.
    I sold one (mine) on Ebay & it fetched me a very decent final price.

Mine was a very early uncommon one that was actually .25" different in length from the more common ones & with unusual sheath stampings.
    It was in 99%+ condition (with a few chips to the powder coated handle but with its original - never sharpened - edge. The blade was perfect. The sheath had a couple of scratches. Somebody got a super deal because my particular knife was an early Mark variation.

I believe that CLASS3NH also sold a few of his Gerber Mark knives on Ebay as well.

I sold mine because it was classed as illegal for carry in Pennsylvania since it fell into the stupid "Dagger" restricted knives category.

I figured that if I couldn't ever legally carry it....then why keep it ???

So...I sold it & never looked back.
    QK.....I still have a few left too...........the Command I ....and Command II series........a couple of "frisco shivs" and a couple of mechanical activaed kits as well.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Just got the knife today and boy is it sweet. Not a mark ding or scuff on it and sharp as a tack. It goes with me tomorrow to work.
    Steve

Mine is the original tool steel model, with serial numbered blade. Yep, as a young, rookie cop who was recently married & having difficulty affording a backup handgun, it was mighty comforting!

I regard it as an old friend (considering it's an inanumate object . . .), and have no plans to sell it!

My wife carried a Gerber Mark 1 in her back pocket for years (handle hidden by her T-shirt). I just ran across that knife this past weekend.
    "Old friend" is a good name for that knife. I know that she felt better having it with her.

Gerber MK I

"Old Friend" it is! I've had mine for over 30 years. I have to be careful in Texas due to the "dagger" description (prohibited in Texas). I finally opted for a Kabar Small Black Tanto for a vehicle knife. Within regs (5 1/2" is max), inexpensive and quite handy if needed for personal defense. Longer blades are OK in Texas if carried while hunting, fishing and "traveling" (now, that one's tricky). Word of advice: Check your State laws regarding knife design and blade length.

gerber mark 1 FOR SALE

Hi,
    I Have Just Been Given A Gerber Mark 1 By My Father, I Am Still Serving But Have No Need For Such A Good Blade, It Is Boxed And In Mint Condition, I Am Open To Offers

Mike

I have had mine since '81 or '82, picked it up in the PX in Panama...

can't carry it in Ohio either..

used it while aircrew, and in survival situations, (even cut down a couple of trees... )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links