Ontario Rat 7

Ontario Rat 7

This is a discussion on Ontario Rat 7 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my Ontario Rat 7 came in. I'm impressed with the Rat7 itself so far. Still remains to be seen if it can handle my ...

Thread: Ontario Rat 7

Ontario Rat 7

Well, my Ontario Rat 7 came in. I'm impressed with the Rat7 itself so far. Still remains to be seen if it can handle my kind of abuse. Although, if the knife performs as shoddy as the sheath build I'm going to be .

Let me be clear...the sheath is a POC! It's a nice looking canvas design with supposedly a kydex insert...yeah, it's kydex alright, but it's literally just a rectangle of plastic folded over itself twice. That's it! The knife just flops around/free floats in there and it just looks BAD!

That said, I feel the need to address the Molle-ability or lack thereof. It appears they tried to make this thing molle compatible, but if this thing is Molle compatible I'm an Oscar-Meyer Weener! The canvas material of the sheath is thin with no sort of inserts or backing to give it any sort of rigidity so it basically just flops around loose. I can't see myself attaching this to a ruck strap or anything, especially not vertically. Definitely not the same quality as my Gerber LMFII's sheath. I've attached photos:

"My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The sheath definitely seems to be very cheap, but the knife looks pretty cool. Hope it does the job.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    The sheath definitely seems to be very cheap, but the knife looks pretty cool. Hope it does the job.
    Yeah, we'll see. I got it in 1095 because I heard of too many issues with the D2 chipping bad. Hopefully with the 1095 that shouldn't be an issue. Only time and abuse will tell

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've seen people heat those sheath inserts with a heat gun and squeeze them closed a bit. That way they provide a little bit of retention.

Heard nothing but good things about the Rat 7 though.

I sent an email to ontario's sales department this morning just to see what they say. The way I see it, there are at least a half-dozen companies out there that can make a decent knife, but if they can't make a decent sheath to properly hold and secure it, what good does it do you, because you sure as heck can't carry it confidently into the bush.

-The Mist (2007)

Can you have a custom sheath made for it by another company that would hold it securely? Maybe a leather sheath. The knife looks good by the way, let us know how it holds up. I am looking for a good knife I can abuse.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Looks nice. I wanted a 6" blade, and I already have a Becker BK7. I ordered a Rat Cutlery R6. I am happy with the product.
    Keep your powder dry

Response back from Ontario

I plan on responding to at least thank Sue for taking the time to respond to my initial rant. Who knows? Maybe they really are getting their stuff together and trying to develop a decent sheath.

Ontario Knife Company
    26 Empire Street
    Franklinville, NY 14737
    sgreen@ontarioknife.com
    Work: 1-800-222-5233 x 146
    Cell: 1-716-560-7634

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:02 PM
    To: ':`packinnova`@gmail.com'
    Subject: RE: Recent purchase - what a waste!

Dear `packinnova`,

Thank you for your email. The Randall’s came up with this sheath when we first starting making these. We are currently working on a sheath project and we plan on updating some sheaths. We will defineatly put the RAT 7 on the list as well.

We do not make the sheaths here at our company, but we do make the knives.

Thank you for brining this to our attention. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sue

Ontario Knife Company
    26 Empire Street
    Franklinville, NY 14737
    sgreen@ontarioknife.com
    Work: 1-800-222-5233 x 146
    Cell: 1-716-560-7634

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 8:55 AM
    To: Sue Green
    Subject: FW: Recent purchase - what a waste!

Bob Cramer

Customer Service

Ontario Knife Company

800-222-5233

Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:06 AM
    To: Knife Sales
    Subject: Recent purchase - what a waste!

I recently purchased the Ontario Rat 7 knife on recommendations by word of mouth that it was a great bush knife that takes a good bit of abuse. So far I have been satisfied with the knife itself, but the sheath that comes with it is quite frankly, shameful. It looks, feels, and performs like a $0.50 made in Pakistan piece of junk and I certainly don't trust it to either hold the knife correctly or securely in ANY position(particularly inverted and attached to a ruck strap). Needless to say I'm quite displeased. I suspect I've learned my lesson and next time my purchase will be from RAT Cutlery as apparently they don't cut corners on the sheaths. Outrageous.

There are a dozen companies out there that can make a decent knife, but if they can't make a sheath to properly hold and secure it, what good is it, because you sure as heck can't carry it confidently. If you want a lesson in how to make a proper bush knife sheath...take a page out of Gerber's book from their LMFII ASEK knife.

At this point I can only hope that the steel used to make the knife wasn't made by the same craftsman that made the sheath.

I've attached links to photos on photobucket below...

tools :: Ontario Rat 7 POS Sheath picture by packinnova - Photobucket
    tools :: Ontario Rat 7 POS Sheath picture by packinnova - Photobucket
    tools :: Ontario Rat 7 picture by packinnova - Photobucket

Sincerely,

`packinnova`
    `packinnova`@gmail.com
    Bluemont, VA

--
    "Maj.Haywood:There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
    Hawkeye: Well, we face to the north and, real sudden like, turn left." - Last of the Mohicans

-The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links