Carrying an M18 Taser: good idea?

This is a discussion on Carrying an M18 Taser: good idea? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this may not be a good CCW, but do any of you carry or have thought about the Advanced Taser M18 in addition ...

Thread: Carrying an M18 Taser: good idea?

I know this may not be a good CCW, but do any of you carry or have thought about the Advanced Taser M18 in addition to your primary concealed pistol? They go for $399.95.

Advanced Taser M18

I thought they may come in handy to bring down a disruptive person fairly easily without the use of lethal force.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

I'd carry one if I couldn't have a pistol on me. Washington has no laws restricting carry of this device and I believe it would be a good option after loudly commanding an attacker to stop and before shooting. That said, it's alot of gear to have on the belt line.

Unless you have lethal force to back it up- bad idea. It's a compliance tool to allow someone to be taken down for cuffing. If the assailant is already dedicated/high, he'll really be PO'd when the juice stops. Can you "fire" it again? Sure. That assumes the assailant won't cover the seperating distance faster than your trigger finger. It also assumes that mid-fizz he doesn't decide to set you up for "mental anguish/cruelty", and keep going, just to get juiced a couple more times and get his reward in court. Yes, folks do this.

I wouldn't carry it. For me there is the pepper spray/nike defense (spray and run) or my pistol (it's not for show, if you see it, it's going to bark). Those are my only two options and I'm comfortable with that.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Have you ever handled one? They're huge! I'd love to have the option but there's no way you could carry one discreetly.

This might be kind of awkward at very close range

I think I would rather have a small can of sabre red instead.

Costs less too

Not legal here and I wouldn't if I could.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator

I disagree

The Taser IS a compliance tool for Law Enforcement but there is absolutly no need for an ordinary citizen to "stick around" and force any sort of additional or follow-up cooperation from the bad guy. There is no need for the endangered citizen to approach the Tased perp and there is no need for the citizen to attempt to further subdue or cuff the perp.

The only need would be for the citizen to create distance between him/her-self and the threat.

It will buy the citizen time to exit the area AKA Taze & quickly get away. Is it an ideal self-defense tool? No, it is not because the effect is temporary and (of course) Less Than Lethal.
    Is it better than having a panic whistle? It sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Unless you have lethal force to back it up- bad idea. It's a compliance tool to allow someone to be taken down for cuffing. If the assailant is already dedicated/high, he'll really be PO'd when the juice stops. Can you "fire" it again? Sure. That assumes the assailant won't cover the seperating distance faster than your trigger finger. It also assumes that mid-fizz he doesn't decide to set you up for "mental anguish/cruelty", and keep going, just to get juiced a couple more times and get his reward in court. Yes, folks do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I think I would rather have a small can of sabre red instead.

Costs less too
    Exactly....IMO of course. Can you jump start a car with that thing? $400? I'll reserve further comment. Like to hear some input from law enforcement that have used a taser and it's effects on other than normal subjects. I'm under the impression that there's less than lethal and throwing the dice anyway.

VIP Member
    originally posted by wolfshead I thought they may come in handy to bring down a disruptive person fairly easily without the use of lethal force.
    you're right it does, but is "bringing down a disruptive person the job of a CCW'er ? just something to think about
    compare this to someone presenting a threat of death or serious bodily injury

I would not recommend it for citizens unless it is the only option (such as my wife currently not able to carry in the college buildings she teaches at, but thats another story )

Tom G This might be kind of awkward at very close range
    the further distance the taser probes travel the further they spread apart (top probe goes straight, bottom probe leaves at an 8 degree angle)
    taser probes must be spread apart an appropriate distance to ensure incapacitation, otherwise its just painful instead of locking up the muscles if fired too close to the subject
    that plus only having one shot to get the probes placed correctly would keep me from recommending the taser as an everyday carry item (unless you're in a situation like in my first paragraph)

we only use them in certain situations and they are not situations that a CCWer should be going in to

that being said, if want one...go ahead but you better be prepared for it to not be an instant problem solver and know when you can legally use it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

just get the taser c2 personal defense one, after you shoot the subject rides the lightning for 30seconds and if you send taser the police report theyll send you a brand new one for free, the c2 is made to shoot, drop and run

http://www.taser.com/products/securi...ASERC2SIK.aspx

U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Sponsored Links