Defensive Carry banner

Carrying an M18 Taser: good idea?

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Tyler11B 
#1 ·
I know this may not be a good CCW, but do any of you carry or have thought about the Advanced Taser M18 in addition to your primary concealed pistol? They go for $399.95.

Advanced Taser M18

I thought they may come in handy to bring down a disruptive person fairly easily without the use of lethal force.

#3 ·
Unless you have lethal force to back it up- bad idea. It's a compliance tool to allow someone to be taken down for cuffing. If the assailant is already dedicated/high, he'll really be PO'd when the juice stops. Can you "fire" it again? Sure. That assumes the assailant won't cover the seperating distance faster than your trigger finger. It also assumes that mid-fizz he doesn't decide to set you up for "mental anguish/cruelty", and keep going, just to get juiced a couple more times and get his reward in court. Yes, folks do this.:rolleyes:

#9 ·
I disagree

The Taser IS a compliance tool for Law Enforcement but there is absolutly no need for an ordinary citizen to "stick around" and force any sort of additional or follow-up cooperation from the bad guy. There is no need for the endangered citizen to approach the Tased perp and there is no need for the citizen to attempt to further subdue or cuff the perp.

The only need would be for the citizen to create distance between him/her-self and the threat.

It will buy the citizen time to exit the area AKA Taze & quickly get away. Is it an ideal self-defense tool? No, it is not because the effect is temporary and (of course) Less Than Lethal.
Is it better than having a panic whistle? It sure is.

#4 ·
I wouldn't carry it. For me there is the pepper spray/nike defense (spray and run) or my pistol (it's not for show, if you see it, it's going to bark). Those are my only two options and I'm comfortable with that.

#10 ·
Exactly....IMO of course. Can you jump start a car with that thing? $400? I'll reserve further comment. Like to hear some input from law enforcement that have used a taser and it's effects on other than normal subjects. I'm under the impression that there's less than lethal and throwing the dice anyway.

#11 ·
originally posted by wolfshead I thought they may come in handy to bring down a disruptive person fairly easily without the use of lethal force.
you're right it does, but is "bringing down a disruptive person the job of a CCW'er ? just something to think about
compare this to someone presenting a threat of death or serious bodily injury

I would not recommend it for citizens unless it is the only option (such as my wife currently not able to carry in the college buildings she teaches at, but thats another story :smile: )

Tom G This might be kind of awkward at very close range
the further distance the taser probes travel the further they spread apart (top probe goes straight, bottom probe leaves at an 8 degree angle)
taser probes must be spread apart an appropriate distance to ensure incapacitation, otherwise its just painful instead of locking up the muscles if fired too close to the subject
that plus only having one shot to get the probes placed correctly would keep me from recommending the taser as an everyday carry item (unless you're in a situation like in my first paragraph)

we only use them in certain situations and they are not situations that a CCWer should be going in to

that being said, if want one...go ahead but you better be prepared for it to not be an instant problem solver and know when you can legally use it

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.