Optimizing the Newer SOG Pentagon Sheath

This is a discussion on Optimizing the Newer SOG Pentagon Sheath within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first obtained a SOG Pentagon, I loved the knife -- and I detested the factory sheath, which was an attempt to be too ...

Thread: Optimizing the Newer SOG Pentagon Sheath

When I first obtained a SOG Pentagon, I loved the knife -- and I detested the factory sheath, which was an attempt to be too many things at once and did none of them well. This was not a problem, as I had Bob Humelbaugh at Survival Sheath make a new sheath for me:

I forgot about the whole matter (there are always other products to review) until, recently, a friend of mine ordered a new Pentagon through my online store. When it came in and I checked it before dropping it off with him, I was surprised to discover the sheath was very different.

Gone was the giant boot-belt sheath from before. In its place was a minimalist Kydex/Concealex-type model that was as slim as possible. It still had a belt attachment that I didn't like, but it was simply screwed on with Blade-Tech hardware. I promptly removed it.

Recently I went to Blade-Tech.com and ordered several Tek-Loks and clips with extra hardware, as you never know when these will optimize an otherwise unworkable Kydex or Concealex Sheath. (Such was the case with my CRKT Hissatsu -- I didn't like the belt flange attachment it shipped with, but when I replaced this with a tek-lok, the whole thing begcame a good carry package.)

I chose, for my Pentagon, one of the clips. This is a plastic flange with Tek-Lok hardware mounting holes that can be affixed to anything a Tek-Lok would fit. It transformed my SOG's sheath into a handy inside-the-waistband model.

I'm extremely pleased with the new setup and will be again carrying my Pentagon.

Now thats a nice factory sheath. The sheath for my mini pentagon was total crap as was the knife. Maybe things have chanegd.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'll keep my feelings about SOGs to this, read previous post and know that they will NEVER get my money again.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I'm quite fond of them; I've not had any bad experiences with mine.

Phil have you read the postings about how they treated the reservist who worked for them? ie Firing them when they reveiced orders? Sorry, if you dont support us (the troops) then I dont support you by buying your stuff. Heck I even mailed back all four of my SOG's back and flatly told them how I felt. I have to admit I admired their response. There was none.
    Steve

No, I had not heard that.

Hey fed_wif_a_sig,
    Give me some hard proof on that story and they can have my Pentagon in abox too! That's BS.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Phil, Don't mean to frig up your thread but could you briefly tell me how you like that Pentagon. Is it a true double edge? If so,it would be just the backup for my Gerber MK II that I carry everyday. Thanks ------

You can read the story at the Government Executive magazine's website at the below link.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1105/111105lb.htm (scroll down to 2nd story)

Cutting a Deal

The Justice Department has reached a settlement with a Lynnwood, Wash.-based knife and tool company accused of breaking a law intended to protect reservists' employment rights.

The complaint alleged that S.O.G. Specialty Knives Inc. violated the 1994 Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act by improperly discharging a Coast Guard reservist when he was called to active duty in January 2003. The complaint also claimed that S.O.G. failed to properly re-employ the reservist in a position of similar status and duties once he returned.

USERRA guards the reemployment rights of military service members or veterans when they return from active duty.

After completing an investigation, the Labor Department's Veterans' Employment and Training Service referred the Coast Guard reservist's complaint to the Justice Department.

The knife company, in a consent decree that must be approved by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, agreed to compensate the plaintiff an unpublished sum.

"We have a duty to our men and women in the military to enforce vigorously their legal right to be free of employment discrimination on the basis of their military service," said Bradley Schlozman, acting assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's civil rights division. "We are very pleased to see a positive resolution in this case."

Schlozman said the knife company cooperated with the investigation and offered the settlement, but denied any wrongdoing.

S.O.G. Specialty Knives did not return calls requesting comment.

According to the Justice Department, this is the eighth USERRA complaint filed since the civil rights division received enforcement authority for such cases in September 2004

actual story added by QKS for the permanent forum record
    Steve

Lead Moderator
    Well that pretty much sucks .

On Phil's thread topic. I am in the process of kydex sheath making. thinking of a few custom sheaths ans a holster for my NAA revo.

Sponsored Links