Knife making question

This is a discussion on Knife making question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I have a blank, I have made the grip (hardwood) got the holes all lined up to the blank but...... I still need ...

Thread: Knife making question

Knife making question

Ok, so I have a blank, I have made the grip (hardwood) got the holes all lined up to the blank but...... I still need to attach the two grips to the blank though.

What would be the best method and where to get the supplies?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I would say use a good set of stainless steel rivets or acorn nut screws. You might try Jantz Supplies at the website Jantz Supply - #1 Source for Knife Making Supplies.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I would say use a good set of stainless steel rivets or acorn nut screws. You might try Jantz Supplies at the website Jantz Supply - #1 Source for Knife Making Supplies.
    Thanks! Looks like a cool place to get parts from.
    Are there any practical reasons for going with rivets over screws (or vice versa)? Oh yeah, I know the obvious: one is easier to dissasemble over the other.

Not really, but as you noted the screws are easier and that is the way I went on a small game knife I made a year ago. That way I could change the handle materials if they became damaged. I am strictly an amateur when it comes to knife making, but it is fun.

If QKShooter is on here somewhere, then he would be better suited to answer your questions as he is a lot more knowledgeable on the subject of knife making then I am, especially steels and tempering, and handle materials.
    God bless our troops!

I use 2 ton epoxy and pins for my handles, but screws will work and let you remove the scales if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkman View Post
    I use 2 ton epoxy and pins for my handles, but screws will work and let you remove the scales if necessary.
    Hmmm I don't think that the grip panels will have to be removed for servicing... so the 2 ton epoxy and rivets do sound tempting..... choices.. choices... choices....

The pins and epoxy option is what most knife makers use for knives that are gonna be used hard. Also what condition is the blade in? Has it been heat treated, have you actually shaped the blade yet(you keep using the word blank so i'm just wondering)? There's alot of steps that go into making knives and they must be done in the right order. Granted there's different methods but just don't rush your self, look into some of the methods. It can save you alot of work and you will be happier with the finished product.

Check out this site Bladesmith's Forum Board (Powered by Invision Power Board)
    It's basically where a large number of the premier bladesmiths of the world hang out and share ideas and show off there work. They also have a beginners section that help guys like you out. The coolest thing about this site is everyone is friendly and they will explain step by step how things work if you have a problem.

Links