Reverse edge ?

Reverse edge ?

This is a discussion on Reverse edge ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what say you about Reverse edge knives and and their use in defense. I know Shivworks has some stuff out there, anybody else?...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverse edge ?

Reverse edge ?

what say you about Reverse edge knives and and their use in defense. I know Shivworks has some stuff out there, anybody else?

In context, REMs are used up close & personal. It's not about parity, it's about getting someone off you, violently- and incapacitating them while doing it.

This philosophy is pretty fundamental to the use of a knife, but since we can't typically carry double-edged blades (most locals), we are forced into either/or.

I find REM works better in that all cutting action uses the largest muscle groups in the torso (tricep/delt/trap), rather than relying most on wrist/forearm and bicep. It also predicates a closed boxing posture.

This is not to say that fore-grip has no place, simply that in our current social circumstances, and most training regimens, REMs offer the best benefit/cost ratio.

66 views and I'm the only response...?

I've been training on IET (Inverted Edge Tactics) with forum member mercop for awhile now. Working with an inverted blade makes some very effective targets more accessible than a traditional saber grip.

I've thought about buying a Clinch Pick or a Spyderco P'kal because they look like cool ideas but I don't see an actual need for a specialized knife.

Rob72 pretty much covered it...

To me, the main benefit of REM ala SouthNarc/Shivworks is the combination of the "point-driven" methodology and the powerful ripping/shearing action we can realize due to the use of our triceps and back muscles.

This methodology allows for small blades to be used to greater effect than possible with "conventional" cutting methods. It also gives us a good solution for using a knife while in a clinch/grappling situation.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I like to carry a switch blade but I did come across a walking stick
    which conceal a long blade.
    Not sure what they are called or where to get one but found it
    Very impressive

"I find REM works better in that all cutting action uses the largest muscle groups in the torso (tricep/delt/trap), rather than relying most on wrist/forearm and bicep."
    When done properly standard grip cutting is more a function of utilizing muscle groups working together as a unit (forearm, bicep, tricep, shoulder, pectorial, abs and even legs) versus simply flailing with your wrist and forearm.

www.reknives.com has some great knives...I think the S "Trigonaut" would be pretty excellent...checkem out...what would some of you recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by motorhed66 View Post
    www.rekknives.com has some great knives...I think the S "Trigonaut" would be pretty excellent...checkem out...what would some of you recomend?
    The link didn't work.

Talking

fixed it

Administrator

The Spyderco C103 PíKal,

is PiKal w/ the Emerson opener.

Quote Originally Posted by motorhed66 View Post
    R.E.K. - Reverse Edge Knives has some great knives...I think the S "Trigonaut" would be pretty excellent...checkem out...what would some of you recomend?
    Some of those are pretty cool...

You should also look at some of the knives from Bob Dozier, Ken Brock, or Tom Krein (presuming of course that you don't want a "purpose designed" reverse-edge knife like the Shivworks Disciple or Clinchpick)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    When done properly standard grip cutting is more a function of utilizing muscle groups working together as a unit (forearm, bicep, tricep, shoulder, pectorial, abs and even legs) versus simply flailing with your wrist and forearm.
    True, and that teaching is pretty rare to find (Keating, et al.). Regardless, retractors in the torso are physically heavier in construction than even combined extensors.

Again, roughly 2000 years of history demonstrate the efficacy of forward-edge philosophy and doctrine. Modern REMs are more an answer to the legal requirements of less than optimal tools and close proximity.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Again, roughly 2000 years of history demonstrate the efficacy of forward-edge philosophy and doctrine. Modern REMs are more an answer to the legal requirements of less than optimal tools and close proximity.
    Especially since 90% of the "advantages" of a REK can be equalized by simply teaching a user of a traditional edge blade how to hold the thing properly. It still blows my mind how many people don't know how to hold a knife correctly for physiological advantage.

Excellent! Informed knife disscussion!...Im really likeing the Brock designs also! Mr.Kreins work is excellent and well ...Dozier designs really goes without saying...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links