Speaking Of Machetes

This is a discussion on Speaking Of Machetes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that we are getting into some better "Duck Outta Here" weather in Pennsylvania...I'm buying a few things for myself. I actually have two Machetes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking Of Machetes

Administrator

Question Speaking Of Machetes

Now that we are getting into some better "Duck Outta Here" weather in Pennsylvania...I'm buying a few things for myself.

I actually have two Machetes that I use for general camp chores & clearing site up a little bit. They are pretty cheap though. One is almost shot anyway (slightly bent) & just refuses to keep an edge for very long.
    One is a real cheapie of spring steel that is tempered pretty soft.
    The 2nd is only a few "cuts" above that. (forgive the pun)

I know the old argument that Machete Type blade steel is not supposed to be super hard in order to facilitate easier, quick sharpening.

I also know that the hardness cannot be such that the blade is super brittle...but, I've got to upgrade a bit since I normally do not pack a hatchet or an AX since I like to go decently "Bare Bones" & light.
    I do most of my chopping chores with a machete & I don't "fell" any trees.

So..........I'm thinking about buying this one from Becker Knife & Tool.

I really liked the Large Knife Blade Configuration of the knife called The Brute.
    But 9.5" is not enough of a Blade Length to replace a full size Machete (though it LOOKS up to the task of doing some decent chopping) I KNOW (in advance) that it would too much work to clear a site with it.
    The Brute is also honestly is priced a bit more than I really want to pay for a large type camp blade ~ Priced at $158.00 (which seems a bit steep) and DOGGONE...it's still too short.

Actually, one priced at $80.00 to $99.00 would seem more reasonable....since I'm just going to beat the crap out of it with some decently hard use.
    So I guess I'm going to go with the longer larger PATROL MACHETE for $113.00 (shown below) with the 19" blade. But, the sheath looks like it sucks So...I'll need to make a new one of those since I'll not be wearing on my belt. Anything that long on the waist will flop around too damn much.

If anybody knows of one just as good then post it here.
    If nobody has any alternate suggestions then I'll probably just pop this one onto Visa plastic credit card next week.
    Any opinions greatly appreciated.
    Anybody already using a BECKER anything??? Chime in.

Click Here To See More Becker Knives

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Camillus blades seem overall pretty good for value QK. No idea what else to suggest but that does look well serviceable.

I forget the exact shape but was not (is not) the Panga also a very handy blade for utility work, brush etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    How about a kukri? They're tested and true.

I haven't bought one (yet), but the ones at Himalayan Imports are of excellent reputation. I am seriously considering one as a general chopping tool that doubles up as a good (large) defensive blade.

I carry the Ka-Bar Camp Knife when hiking, but I'd like to try a kukri.

Ka-Bar also makes a kukri machete and cutlass machete.

I also have a Becker Combat Utility 7, but it's a bit big for my hands, so I gave it to Will. He carries it while we're camping. It's a good, stout package, but better for meaty hands.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

They are really interesting.

I think I could get used to that blade profile.
    That would be different for me.
    The prices are very reasonable & they have have some nice esthetic appeal to boot. That's a lot of work on a edged weapon for only $100.00 or so.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For you machete lovers out there(which I am one of),take a close look at the Cold Steel line. Where I live in Fla. I'm always in the swamp either hunting,fishing,training,or just exploring. I have, as a permanent part of my boat,truck,and survival gear,Mil issue models with the rubber/plastic sheiths(with sharpener on top). For use in the river swamps while scouting for hogs,I always have a Cold Steel LTC Kukri on my belt. In fact I own 3 of them.Two of which are the "factory 2nd's". I can't tell the diff 'tween them and the full price ones. I find that the big "bellied"Kukri's will cut better,with minimal effort. I see in my latest catalog they are priced at $70. To me,that's a deal for what you get. They will hold an edge reasonably well and are fairly easy to sharpen. I have purchased one Concealex Sheath for use with any of the 3 Kukri's that i happen to grab prior to an "outing". I have actually killed a 120 or so pound hog with the first Kukri that I owned. Was charged by a pissed off sow while "fishing" for my firearm. The Kukri darn near cut her in half. ----------

Senior Moderator
    Cold Steel makes some exellent Kukris...in fact I have 3 of them too...

They are multipurpose tools. They heavier ones, will throw like a tomahawk and stick deep in a tree. Its got enough weight to it that you can lop someones head clean off. You can put them on your waist and the shortness of them is an advantage over a machete.

I use the heavier one when I am camping in the wilderness areas. Its easy to make poles and such and it'll blow though the pelvis on a deer so easily you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else.

There are some good machetes out there that have Kydex sheathes. Id definaltey get a Kydex sheath that will actually protect the blade and protect you from the blade.

ya know i need to get one why just cuz i don't have one

Lead Moderator
    I have used the U.S. mil. issue machete with good results. plastic sheath w/ built in sharpener works well for lots of tasks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    As I mentioned in the previous thread regarding machetes, they are an everyday part of life in many Hispanic countries/neighborhoods. I've used them as a tool several times. I believe no-name plain machetes are still available in PR in many places for dirt cheap.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I've got a SwampRat BattleRat that seems to be working out well. Proprietary version of 52100 steel and an offshoot of Busse Combat.

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/knives.html

I generally use mine more for firewood and such than I do for clearing but it functions well in that roll. Also very impressed with my HowlingRat as a general applications knife - used it for everything from stripping paint and prying old boards off a shed to fish cleaning. I ordered leather sheaths from Mike Bartol and I consider myself basically through looking for fixed blades.
    Just something else for you to consider.
    Jack

I picked up two machetes during my tour in Miami Florida. We called them “Cuban weed eaters” at the office. They were the cheap ones (less than $5.00 each) and they have served me well for 15 years with little or no up keep. Cut many marijuana plants in the Glades with them and now they see duty around the house. They keep a sharp edge. When they get dull I just make a pass with the bench grinder. Best $10.00 that have come out of my pocket.

Frankmako

I've heard good things about the Cold Steel machetes. I don't have one because my current machete ($3.00 at a flea-market in San Antone) is still going strong.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    IMO stay away from the "ethnic" Kukri's made in Pakistan,India,Burma,and the like. They are junk. The ones that are made and used by the locals are worth too much for them to let go and the ones made for export are a total POS. Also,whatever "longer than a knife" cutting/chopping instrument that you decide on has gotta have a very heavy duty sheath. Hanging on your belt,over your shoulder,or for back carry,the blade moves around quite a bit. It will quickly cut through a sheath if the sheath is not real sturdy. My blade is always carried on my belt(10 o'clock) cuz I have two hands full of Boar Spear(Cold Steel) while scouting during the "off' season. Among other things(self defense)I use the spear for cutting the smaller vines while moving through the thick stuff. But for use in chopping the bigger vines(some as large as your forearm),the Kukri is just the thing. Also we use the Kukri's for field dressing the larger hogs that we kill. The shorter total length of the blade is more controlable for the feet and head lopping that we have to do before we can fit them into even the 180qt. saltwater coolers that we use for the animals. Have used a Kukri(although not ideal) for completely field dressing a large hog on one ocassion that I(don't tell anybody) forgot my knife. IMO you should at least"swing one" before you buy a machete. --------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    IMO stay away from the "ethnic" Kukri's made in Pakistan,India,Burma,and the like. They are junk. The ones that are made and used by the locals are worth too much for them to let go and the ones made for export are a total POS. . --------
    Ditto, and second on the CS LTC kukri. FWIW, the Becker and CS blades are 1095 high-carbon. I've cut old fence posts up, hacked through some pretty good sized nails and never realized it. No damage to the blade, either. Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, I have used my kukri for light spading, and hammering tent stakes into med-hard soil (with the flat).

Senior Moderator
    Wow QK, this may be a tough decision. I liked the Becker you posted, then looked at the pics of other suggestions and I didn't see one that I didn't like!

I can see this edged "tool" thing growing into a "which gun" problem. You know what the answer is: both! Or in this case one of each; that's what we have to do with guns. LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links