Spyderco Pikal alternatives?

This is a discussion on Spyderco Pikal alternatives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings to all, I am interested in procuring a folding knife designed for (or, if that is not possible, suitable for) a reverse edge-in grip. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Pikal alternatives?

Spyderco Pikal alternatives?

Greetings to all,

I am interested in procuring a folding knife designed for (or, if that is not possible, suitable for) a reverse edge-in grip. I would love to buy the Pikal, but it is a little expensive for me. Preferably, I would like to spend closer to $50 than to $100. Any advice is welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Have you checked the Byrd line? Spyderco's Chinese-made, less-expensive version of some of their popular models.

I have the Cara-Cara. Great knife.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Thanks. I took a look at those a while ago...they seem perfectly good knives, but I would prefer something meant for the reverse grip.

The Waved versions of the Endura and Delica work pretty well in this role. Admittedly, they're not as comfortable as the P'kal but then, they weren't designed specifically for "reverse edge" use.

Beyond that, anything with a fairly "neutral" grip works fine (e.g. Benchmade Griptilian, etc.).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    There were guys in the Pacific Northwest training seriously with Delicas quite a while back, and some of the photos I saw, IIRC, showed them using reverse grip, edge-in. Many knives work OK for RGEI grip; the Shivworks stuff was purpose-designed for it.

I saw video of James Keating using RGEI with his Masters of Defense Hornet, but I suppose those might be out of your targeted budget, if still available.

Sponsor
    I've been meaning to write up a mini review of the Smith & Wesson M&P knife.
    It lends it's self to a reverse grip very well. It has a bit better feel edge out but is not bad edge in.
    I have not been impressed with the S&W line of knives thus far. Most are more of a novelty than a quality tool but this one is a good deal better in that area. It still has a quirky look but is functionally superior to the few other S&W knives from Taylor Cutlery that I have. At $30-35.00 it is a pretty good deal though not nearly the quality of Spyderco or Shivworks.

I have the plain edge drop point but it is available with combo and tanto blades.

T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    The Waved versions of the Endura and Delica work pretty well in this role. Admittedly, they're not as comfortable as the P'kal but then, they weren't designed specifically for "reverse edge" use.

Beyond that, anything with a fairly "neutral" grip works fine (e.g. Benchmade Griptilian, etc.).
    Ditto KenpoTex.

You can rearrange the pocket clip on an Endura or Delica Wave so that the opening is similar to the P'kal. Of course the handle geometry of these knives is more conducive to standard grip and reverse grip edge out.

You could get a Delica4 Wave and a Delica4 Wave drone for around the price of a P'kal.

Whatever you decide, make sure there is a trainer available.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Whatever you decide, make sure there is a trainer available.- George
    Yes, you absolutely must have a drone. If you get a live P'kal and a drone, it'll cost you around $320.00. The live Delica and drone will run you around $120.00

www.cutleryshoppe.com has the best prices I've found on the web. It doesn't look like they have P'kal drones at the moment though.
    Last edited by MattInFla; June 12th, 2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fixed link

If you're really looking at the P'kal for REM you seriously need to consider the handle geometry of any other knives you might be considering.

As mentioned before you can arrange the pocket clip on the Endura and Delica wave to accomplish the same type of opening as with the P'kal but my experience has been the grip on these knives is insecure and very uncomfortable for REM due to the geometry of the handling. Instead of the convex curve of the handle resting in the palm of your hand it runs along your fingers with the concave gap residing between the knife and palm of your hand. These knives have a handle geometry shaped for standard grip and reverse grip edge out usage.

As KenpoTex mention you'd probably have better success with respect to grip by use a knife with a "neutral" handle, one not shape so dramatically for holding in standard or reverse grip edge out.

Grab any Delica or Endura and hold it as you would when utilize REM and you'll see what I mean. It might work for you but I find it uncomfortable.

I don't own any waved blades but you can get the idea here.
    Personally, I find the Endura and Delica to be perfectly comfortable in all the grips pictured here. Your experience may vary of course, but if you ever actually need to use any of this stuff for real, I don't think you'll notice any discomfort.
    Endura in inverted grip:

Endura in reverse grip, edge out:

Delica in reverse grip, edge in:

Delica in inverted grip:

unloved

Good pictures that demonstrate the ergonomics of the handle.

REM with this type of handle wouldn't be my choice but to each his own.

My recommendation to United93 is go to a store and see how it feels for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    unloved

Good pictures that demonstrate the ergonomics of the handle.
    Thanks.

REM with this type of handle wouldn't be my choice but to each his own.
    You should try it out. It's really not bad.
    Especially if you consider the price difference. You can get a Waved Delica for $50.00-$60.00. A P'kal will cost you at least twice as much.

My recommendation to United93 is go to a store and see how it feels for him.
    That would certainly be best.
    Last edited by unloved; June 12th, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Broken Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    I would prefer something meant for the reverse grip.
    As far as I know, the P'kal is the only production folder available that's designed for a reverse-edge-in grip.

You'll need something with an ambi tip up clip (I'm assuming you're right-handed) if you want to approximate a P'kal. For a right hand draw the clip needs to be positioned for what we'd typically think of as left hand tip up carry. Like this:

You'll also need a Wave. The Waved Enduras and Delicas are the only option in your preferred price range.
    The Delica's blade is only 3/32" shorter than the P'kal's.

You could try this:

The zip tie will function like a Wave.
    BUT if you do, PLEASE get a drone! I've been playing with this for about half an hour and I've already 'cut' myself three times and 'stabbed' myself once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links