Wasp & hornet spray

This is a discussion on Wasp & hornet spray within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search here & found only a couple references to using Wasp & Hornet Spray as a defense tool. After reading the following ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wasp & hornet spray

Wasp & hornet spray

I did a search here & found only a couple references to using Wasp & Hornet Spray as a defense tool.
    After reading the following post elsewhere, I'm curious now.
    Anyone herd of actual results of this stuff in the eyes? Probably not much testing going on

"I have a friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area who was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead. The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would.. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use..."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Interesting. I believe I will mention this to my wife so she can pass it on to the folks at church.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    Perhaps because it works like a nerve agent?

BTW, I haven't heard of its use this way either, nor am I advocating it or not.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I ran across some really good stuff at a Wal Mart vendor's convention several years ago. Twenty foot stream is probably average, and this stuff killed on contact. I mean dead...no falling from flight, stagger around on the ground...dry off and fly away scenario here. Industrial strength stuff. Never heard of, nor have any knowledge of what sort of effects this has on humans, but anything that can down a wasp or a whole nest from 20', and lay 'em on the ground without a quiver has got to do some damage on the overly sensitive human body and organs. Only thing is....those cans of certain death are rather large and cumbersome to be carried around hanging from a keychain or stashed in a purse.

Yep, it's bound to be "hard on the eyes".
    And I agree about being to big to carry around, but good to keep options like that available at home & maybe some other places too, especially if it's effective & legal.

The 'plus' with hornet spray, I would think, is that the BG would most likely end up in a hospital for treatment...and thus, identified and caught.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I've had that stuff in my eyes. It burns like heck, not as bad or as long as mace though. Go with mace, because mace works on me.
    To clarify I went through the tear gas chamber and literally was unaffected, I thought it was some kind of big joke till I looked at the other guys, nope it just doesn't affect me.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The spray (jet stream) should take the "sting" out of any BG!

Seriously, this just might be the ticket for those urban areas where pepper spray and Mace are banned (Chicago?, New York?, L.A.?).
    God bless our troops!

I know that a 5ft stream of CLP took out a hornets nest for me, very neatly. Can't say whether their eyes stung, as they were too busy rolling over and flopping onto the ground, stone cold dead. I imagine a good brake cleaner would do much the same thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is a rather accurate stream. I have to use the stuff all around my house all the time. Nice to know it works against bad guys too.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    This stuff http://www.wmmg.com/pdf/msds/WaspFre...MSDS_PRESS.pdf is an oil-based product. Granted, it's a bit stronger than the OTC stuff at Wal-Mart, but it would adjust someone's attitude in a hurry. Any idea of the liability issues? Getting sprayed while committing a crime will probably work in the BG's favor (in many states). Neat idea though!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I have had a lot of sucess with the poison-free / mint sprays. Well, on wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. Not sure about 2 legged creatures, but I was missed a little once, and it did a number on me for a second. Can't imgine what a full spray would do. Maybe the same light stun, or maybe worse.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Hmm..
    FWIW, I just looked up the MSDS sheets for a few.
    Seems the eye irritation is listed as "moderate", but respiration can cause acute health effects.

Here's a link to Raid's: http://www.jandrsupply.com/cspshop/H...RK%2094898.pdf

I just wonder if there might be some increased civil liability for using something like this? Especially if it should happen to come out that was a planned weapon?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Just based on my experience using wasp spray on the real thing, and sometimes getting some back in my face, I am not willing to try that out in a real emergency.

My guess, if it were really bad, they wouldn't let it on the market for general use.

You might get a momentary distraction out of it; but unless followed quickly with a cigarette lighter, I don't think you'll get some real SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You might get a momentary distraction out of it; but unless followed quickly with a cigarette lighter, I don't think you'll get some real SD.
    Good point. IMO, this sort of thing should not be relied on as a 'fight stopper'. As a distraction, it might be better than nothing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links