Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a good source for Spyderco and a lot of other brands as well: Knife Depot: Spyderco Single Blade Pocket Knives...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

This is a good source for Spyderco and a lot of other brands as well:

Knife Depot: Spyderco Single Blade Pocket Knives
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Spyderco Delica without a doubt. I have two one with a smooth edge and one partly serrated. No assisted opening feature but the big hole in the top of the blade assists for an easy one hand open and its easy to wrist flick it so fast it looks like an auto. This is the one I carry when I wear a suit or a sports suit when invited to some snazzy yacht club my sister is a member of....
    Spyderco's are one of the easiest knives to open one handed without being labeled switchblade of mass destruction. They have a nice pocket clip. I feel like the clips with rubber in them and the non stainless steel handled models are hard to get out of the pocket. I carry a Harpy with Spyder edge in stainless steel and most people who see it are shocked by the ominus looking blade. I don't care if it is my funeral uniform, it'll be clipped to my pocket.

That civilian model has a wicked looking blade!

+1 on the Leek I have 2 edc 1 for defense 1 for work small and light weight. Steve enjoy your stay I live 9 miles from SMKW.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    +1 on the Leek I have 2 edc 1 for defense 1 for work small and light weight. Steve enjoy your stay I live 9 miles from SMKW.
    that's got to be rough on your wallet...I know I would likely have issues. My parents actually live about 30 min from there as well. They are way up in the mountains in Walland.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Spyderco or Benchmade...

I personally don't like Kershaw as I and a couple of friends have had nothing but bad luck with them. I think the Leek is particularly suboptimal for SD use due to the shape and size of the handle (too small and "slick").
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

+1 Benchmade & Spyderco. B-made's are not cheap, but high quality, hold an edge forever (sharpening takes about that long too), lots o' options. Spyderco makes good knives, little cheaper (both ways), but still good stuff. Might be biased towards B-M since they're made in OR., but Spyderco is overseas manuf. I think.

May I suggest you take a strong look at Bark River knives. At first glance they may not be what you are looking at but they are very addictive. Most folks don't feel comfortable with a Barkie because they are fixed blades. It's true Mike and company do make some huge freakin knives. But they also make VERY good small EDC knives. Some are small enough that the sheath they come with will fit in the pocket of any dress slacks. I've also orderd differnt pocket sheaths from Knivesshipfree that are specifically made for small Barkies. It may not be what you are exactly looknig for but I suggest going to knifeforum.com and doing to the subforum set up for all things Bark River. Knivesshipfree and the knife connection on line are two great sources of distributors for Barkies. The mini and mkro canadian, the pro scalpel or pro scalpel II, and the bumble bee are just a few small Barkies I EDC everyday. I never thought I would be into fixed blade knives but after owning Barkies I will never go back to Benchmades, SOG, kershaws, etc... Mike is well aware of many states that have certain laws on length of fixed blade knives and has many models that fit many state law requirements. When you get chance I highly recommend you checking them out even if fixed blades aren't your cup of tea. But beware once bitten by the Barkie bug things can get complicated. On a side note I haven't checked in awhile but Mike is bringing out a folder this year if he hasn't yet.

Steve what did you decide on just courious.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Steve what did you decide on just courious.
    I actually have not gotten one as of yet. Don't have a need for a smaller knife for a couple months. But I'm really liking the SOG Flash 1, Kershaw Scallion, SOG Twitch 2. Who knows what I'll end up with though, I'll likely end up purchasing several different ones...and a couple larger ones as well.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I like benchmade.

fm2
    If you can, carry a small fixed blade(sfb), IWB and a small folder or mini leatherman in the pocket. That would be a good choice.

Here's a few reasonably priced:

The CRKT Folts is a nice one.
    Sting and Minimalist

Crawford triumph, thin, but a little longer
    Crawford Triumph N.E.C.K.

Dogfish and RSK
    Dogfish and MercHarness

These are a little longer 6"ish OAL
    Mini Tac Series : Fixed Blade Knives

Super edge about 5" OAL
    Super Edge : Utility Knives (Fixed Blade)

I'm a big fan of Benchmade, there's a lot of great knives out there but to me they're the top dogs. Their service is great and the product is superb.

I have Griptillian in D2. Blade length is 3.45" and folded 4.62". The axis lock is smooth and has a strong feel when it's opened up. The D2 is known for holding a great edge. I use it everyday for everything from opening boxes to cutting food.

I've had it almost 2 1/2 years and sent it to Benchmade once for sharpening and they cleaned it and made sure everything was in perfect order i sent it off on a Monday and had it back the next Monday. The blade was as sharp as the day i first got it.

Checkout any of the Benchmade line (specifically their Black and their Blue class) you can't go wrong.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Im going to be a buzz kill and bag on the key pocket idea with a personal experience gone sour. I did the same thing with my slacks, thinking i was slick stuff, until i needed the knife. It always delayed retraction from my pocket as the slack from the inside tended to bunch up against my key pocket. Granted it was not a defensive situation, but if it had been I fear it would have been bad. Inside the jacket or the shoulder strap of a tight wife beater have served me well for two years

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAL CJG View Post
    Im going to be a buzz kill and bag on the key pocket idea with a personal experience gone sour. I did the same thing with my slacks, thinking i was slick stuff, until i needed the knife. It always delayed retraction from my pocket as the slack from the inside tended to bunch up against my key pocket. Granted it was not a defensive situation, but if it had been I fear it would have been bad. Inside the jacket or the shoulder strap of a tight wife beater have served me well for two years
    Did you keep a wallet or some change in there as well?
    Last edited by psychophipps; July 18th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.

njr
    I would advise against the SOG Flash I. I bought one a year ago, and it comes with a safety. The safety can get stuck in the half open position, and that would be bad in a SHTF situation. I recently got a Benchmade mini-griptilian and it opens beautifully, no safety to worry about. However, I think it would be heavy for slacks, so I would be inclined to go with the Delica, it opens beautifully and is significantly lighter.

The AO knives I've seen come with safeties, which I think could be a minus in deployment, especially with knives that are miniature, I can see problem with manipulation of safety and the safety getting stuck. If you remove the safety, then you have the problem of the knife possibly opening up and cutting your pocket, or worse, you.

For a folder, I would go to a tailor and see if s/he could sew you a mini-pocket of slightly tougher material inside your pocket for $10 to $15 a pair of slacks. You could have the mouth of the mini ride up and out of the way so that coins etc couldn't fall in.

Or, if you opted for a small fixed blade, maybe you could either use the existing sheath or have a leather sheath made along the lines of a pocket holster, put the holster in mini pocket. Have the two designed so that the pocket holster snags on the mini-pocket, giving you a clean draw. With a pocket holster type sheath, you should be able to put other things in that pocket, and not have to worry about fumbling around on the draw.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links