Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen several posts now referring to going to a tailor and getting some pockets altered. This is something I never really have thought about, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

I've seen several posts now referring to going to a tailor and getting some pockets altered. This is something I never really have thought about, but I wonder if a mini pocket could be made closer to the mouth of the main pocket? And I also wonder how this would work? This might allow me to carry a slightly larger knife without it fumbling around in my pocket.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

njr
    I would talk to the tailor and the sheath maker and explain what you want. I would imagine the balance and heaviness of the knife, the weight of the pocket material and how high you placed the mini-pocket would be factors to consider. eg, you wouldn't want to place the pocket too high or the handle/knife might flop over, causing the pocket to twist up.

Wouldn't you want to carry a larger knife lower down for conealment and b/c there would be more grip to grasp, so you wouldn't have to reach as far anyway? Plus, less chance of the knife flopping.

Anyway, with slacks, a Delica or some kind of light folder sounds like the best way to go- it's light, you don't need a sheath, you don't have to worry about slicing your pocket or yourself on the draw, etc.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post
    I would talk to the tailor and the sheath maker and explain what you want. I would imagine the balance and heaviness of the knife, the weight of the pocket material and how high you placed the mini-pocket would be factors to consider. eg, you wouldn't want to place the pocket too high or the handle/knife might flop over, causing the pocket to twist up.

Wouldn't you want to carry a larger knife lower down for conealment and b/c there would be more grip to grasp, so you wouldn't have to reach as far anyway? Plus, less chance of the knife flopping.

Anyway, with slacks, a Delica or some kind of light folder sounds like the best way to go- it's light, you don't need a sheath, you don't have to worry about slicing your pocket or yourself on the draw, etc.
    This would all be for a folder. I don't want to carry multiple knives to a clients office in business casual attire. So I was hoping that the mini pocket towards the top of the pocket would work alright for me? No idea though, just thought of it with you guys' help.

Also, the mini pocket would probably be the length of 3/4 the knife so it held it in place well.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

my EDC is a Spyderco delica wave.

its just under 3" blade which makes it legal just about anywhere in the US, and the wave opening is faster than a switchblade but without any sort of springs (which cause legal issues in some places)

Knife review : Wave/Delica

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    And for those who are interested in a non-wave Delica, they have a straight edge basic model at Wally World for $54 via their website. No in-store sales on the Spydercos, but they have some of the more basic smaller models on the site. Noted that they have many of the SOG models as well.

I like and carry an Emerson Karambit w/the Tanto point...

Spyderco Endura 4 is part of my daily life.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

+1 on the Kershaw Leek 1600, I dont carry one but my friend owns a gun store and its his most popular knife.

Not to mention ive read at least 2 other posts on this forum of people reccomending this knife.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I carry the Kershaw Leek plain edge. It has been a great AO knife!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My new EDC folder is a Kershaw Skyline. Fairly cheap at $35 from Wally World, sharp as a razor, a Hugh Jass can't miss rotational opener stud on the back, an ambi side of blade thumb stud backup opener, just over 3" blade so it's long enough to do the deed but not get me proned on GP, and the rotational opener stud makes for a really nice near-vertical stop for my hand if I give something the good news with a thrust and hit a bone or something.

I'm a huge fan of the CRKT products. I have several of their knives and the quality and ease of opening one handed is remarkable. Here's my CRKT M16-12Z with my G19:

+1 for Delica

nothing more to add.

Regards,
    Greg in West Michigan

I hope by now the OP has made a selection. Even so, I am going to give the Spyderco a +2. I have an older one, a Delica I believe and I love it.

It's similar to this:

Spyderco uses nice steel. Takes and edge without too much trouble, holds it for long enough, stays clean and doesn't damage easily.

Two features of the Spyderco that put it over other knives:

1) It uses a nice round hole for the thumb opener. There is nothing to snag or get caught on anything. It's very smooth and easy to open.

2) The clip can flipped, depending on how you want your knife to hang. I pocket carry, so I flipped mine to put the blade hinge down, making the "draw and open action" smooth as can be.

Some of the newer Spydercos have plastic and exotic handles. I have the plain stainless steel and wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing gets into it and it takes all kinds of abuse.

Last, I have the plain, straight blade, which is easy to sharpen. For those of you that like the serrated edges for cutting rope and what not, if you pay attention to your sharpening technique, you can have a nice fine edge that works well on rope also.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Random Task reverse tanto Kershaw Leek in S30V. Or any of the higher-end Leeks.

SOG Flash 2........$50.00 at Lowes I ended up buying 2 at that price just to have a spare.
    Bill N. - N3OKI
    2 the chest, 1 to the head
    Luke 22:36 "If thou hast not a sword, sell thy cloak and buy one."
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links