Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!! - Page 4

Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 on the Leek!...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

+1 on the Leek!

Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post
    I would advise against the SOG Flash I. I bought one a year ago, and it comes with a safety. The safety can get stuck in the half open position, and that would be bad in a SHTF situation.
    I have carried my SOG Flash II for a couple years now as an EDC knife and in my experience, the safety has never been stuck half open. In fact, it has a very positive detent. No problems with mine. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by CenCal View Post
    I have carried my SOG Flash II for a couple years now as an EDC knife and in my experience, the safety has never been stuck half open. In fact, it has a very positive detent. No problems with mine. YMMV.
    I've also heard of super gluing the safety in the open position.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I recommended the Leeks because they are extremely slim and work very well for dress pants carry, but if you want a tougher knife for self-defense purposes, my standard recommendation is the waved Spyderco Delica. Small enough that it doesn't scream "Folding machete of DOOM!," inexpensive enough to be affordable, high quality steel, and faster to open than even an AO or auto knife... with the option to open it slowly and not scare sheeple.

If it's more of an office tool, the Leek can't be beat. Crazy cutters, too, because of how slim the blade is. And they come in dressy versions- the rainbow version is a little much, as far as I'm concerned, but there is a pretty damascus version, and a rare one in gloss black with gold accents.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I recommended the Leeks because they are extremely slim and work very well for dress pants carry, but if you want a tougher knife for self-defense purposes, my standard recommendation is the waved Spyderco Delica. Small enough that it doesn't scream "Folding machete of DOOM!," inexpensive enough to be affordable, high quality steel, and faster to open than even an AO or auto knife... with the option to open it slowly and not scare sheeple.

If it's more of an office tool, the Leek can't be beat. Crazy cutters, too, because of how slim the blade is. And they come in dressy versions- the rainbow version is a little much, as far as I'm concerned, but there is a pretty damascus version, and a rare one in gloss black with gold accents.
    I have a feeling I'm going to own multiple knives before it's all done. I wasn't planning on the leek, but after all the great attention it's gotten here, this might be one I get. And I'm sure I'll get a Delica too, juts because it seems like a glock, 1911, or wheel gun of the knife world and everybody has at least one!

This of course is also leading me to get a larger nicer knife for weekends and such, replacing my boring Rimington knife I carry now.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

What I carry

I've been carrying Columbia River's M21 for over a year. Fortunately I've never had to use on someone, but it's big and strong and even if the blade might be a bit over size limits for NY, so be it.

It's not the cheapest blade out there, but I feel its a lot for the money.

Amazon has it, here's the link and a screen shot.

Amazon.com: Columbia River M21 M21-04 Special Forces Md: M21-14SF: Sports & Outdoors

Bruce

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1&d=1252026390
    Attached Images
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

I have a Kershaw Leek 1660CKT - I really like it, but I would like to get something a little bigger to have in appropriate situations. The grip is very small and thin on the Leek.

The Kershaw Shallot is the same basic design with a 3.5" blade and slightly longer handle, and the Tyrade has a 3-5/8" blade with a wider G10 handle. Both of them have the index finger assisted opening that I like and have grown accustomed to. Both of these would also be over the 3" limit for auto knives or folders where applicable.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would the Kershaw "Speedsafe Assisted Opener" legally be considered an automatic? Does anyone here know anyone personally who has had trouble with an LEO over blade length, if they were not doing something else to get themselves in trouble?

Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links