Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; okay... I think it's time for me to get a new knife. I will be up near Sevierville, TN in a week or so and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

Help finding a new suitable knife!!!!!!

okay... I think it's time for me to get a new knife. I will be up near Sevierville, TN in a week or so and if anyone has been up that way, I'm sure they know of Smokey Mountain Knife Works (place is freaking huge). Anyway, might take that opportunity to purchase a new edc knife.

Now for the points I need to consider. I will be starting full time job in September and I will be wearing some sort of dress slacks everyday, so clipping the knife on my pocket is not going to happen. So I would like it to be relatively small and easy to carry in dress pants pockets. Additionally, although I won't be clipping it on at work, I would still like to have a clip on it for carrying on weekends and such.

Now, although I want it to be small for carrying in slacks, I would still like it to be a decent workable size for defense and everyday tasks.

The last point I can think to mention is I would really like it to have some sort of assisted opening mechanism.

Any recommendations from you guys on this topic would be wonderful and much appreciated. I know I might be getting really specific about this and it might be hard to find one to fit all this, but I'm sure I can eventually find something.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    okay... I think it's time for me to get a new knife. I will be up near Sevierville, TN in a week or so and if anyone has been up that way, I'm sure they know of Smokey Mountain Knife Works (place is freaking huge). Anyway, might take that opportunity to purchase a new edc knife.

Now for the points I need to consider. I will be starting full time job in September and I will be wearing some sort of dress slacks everyday, so clipping the knife on my pocket is not going to happen. So I would like it to be relatively small and easy to carry in dress pants pockets. Additionally, although I won't be clipping it on at work, I would still like to have a clip on it for carrying on weekends and such.

Now, although I want it to be small for carrying in slacks, I would still like it to be a decent workable size for defense and everyday tasks.

The last point I can think to mention is I would really like it to have some sort of assisted opening mechanism.

Any recommendations from you guys on this topic would be wonderful and much appreciated. I know I might be getting really specific about this and it might be hard to find one to fit all this, but I'm sure I can eventually find something.
    How "dressy" will your pants be? A lot of the better Mom n' Pop men's shops will offer free tailoring. You could get yourself a nice Spyderco, Emerson, or Kershaw and have them extend the keys pocket found in nicer slacks (usually around $120-150 per pair and they really are actually worth it in terms of wear and comfort) for your knife instead. Should work like a charm and let you carry a decent-size blade without showing off the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    How "dressy" will your pants be? A lot of the better Mom n' Pop men's shops will offer free tailoring. You could get yourself a nice Spyderco, Emerson, or Kershaw and have them extend the keys pocket found in nicer slacks (usually over $120-150 per pair and they really are actually worth it in terms of wear and comfort) for your knife instead. Should work like a charm and let you carry a decent-size blade without showing off the clip.
    when you say "key pocket" are you referring to the mini pocket at the bottom of the pocket? If that's what you are speaking about, that's a neat idea right there. Although I won't be spending that much for a pair of slacks, at least not till I make a manager position!
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Get whatever you want and carry it IWB. Knife inside your pants,clip over the waistband, and under the belt. No one, including you, will know it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Get whatever you want and carry it IWB. Knife inside your pants,clip over the waistband, and under the belt. No one, including you, will know it's there.
    never thought about that, might have to try it out and see how I like it
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

i ordered a SOG Twitch 2 form them about 3 months ago for a "truck knife", just wanted something i would use for fishing or whatever and not be to bummed if i lost it. After getting this knife it never leaves my pocket. Cost much less then my Kershaw and case xx knives but holds a good edge and seems real strong.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    You beat me to it. Though that key pocket idea is nice too.

To the OP: For the knife, check your state and local laws to ascertain what blade length/opening systems are legal. Also, I know this is OT, but Blackhawk makes "Tactical-Non-Tactical" pants that might be something to look into.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    If you IWB your knife with the belt over the clip, be sure to practice like a demon pulling it free and flicking it open until you can get it right out via pure reflex. Nothing worse than pulling on your knife for a dry fire as you're getting attacked because you rolled the knife the wrong way unless you drop it trying to get it open because your grasp of your knife as you drew it from such a clumsy spot with only a thumb and forefinger grip until it's fully deployed was the suck instead.

I just tried the IWB as described above and I have serious issues with it because 1) the top of the knife still shows anyway unless you blouse the bottom of your shirt and look like a putz, 2) you can only get your fingers on the top 1/2-3/4 inch of the knife from the front and rear edges and that's not exactly a strong drawing or combat-effective grip, and 3) the whole rolling thing mentioned above. I had rolled it twice the wrong way in 10 presentations and was stuck with a kubaton when I was expecting a shanking stick. Not good.

That said, I'm sure it can work. Just practice a lot before you get too froggy out there.

With my key pocket extension idea you still have room to get your hand around the knife really well as you draw it by sliding the thumb behind the knife inside the pocket and cupping the knife with your fingers to help the draw as you present it. The pocket hangs flat so you know where the knife is and it's orientation with each presentation and can practice from sitting, etc to see what's what yourself.
    And you don't have a bloused shirt bottom like a raggedy looking putz. Don't forget not looking like a putz. Important stuff there when working a new job.

My EDC knife is a SOG Flash II, an assisted opener. I have many others, but this knife ends up on my person every day.

I have two of these...

Kershaw Leek 1660

At least one of them goes with me everywhere, sometimes both.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

okay, with a little browsing and all your input...I really like the looks of the SOG Flash 1 & 2 as well as the SOG Aegis. retsupt, that kershaw looks very sleek too...have to consider it as well.

what I like about the SOGs is the way the clip allows for a full submersion of the knife in the pocket. And the flash 1 might suit me for work really well since it's a smaller size.

Much more research to come and hopefully get my hands on some of these!!!
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Spyderco Delica without a doubt. I have two one with a smooth edge and one partly serrated. No assisted opening feature but the big hole in the top of the blade assists for an easy one hand open and its easy to wrist flick it so fast it looks like an auto. This is the one I carry when I wear a suit or a sports suit when invited to some snazzy yacht club my sister is a member of....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Both my benchmade mini griptilian and squeal fit the bill except for the assisted open... however with practice you can deploy a non assisted knife just as fast as an assisted one.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I have to say get yourself a Spyderco Delica. I had one, lost it, and purchased the slightly larger Edura. The ZDP steel is more expensive, but WOW, is it sharp. I resharpened it and this thing will shave hair. I even have a bare spot to prove it.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Spyderco ... I have the Endura and love it.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links