Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

This is a discussion on Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started Uechi-Ryu Karate a few months ago. Great dojo, the director of training has done a lot of consulting for police agencies and such. ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

I started Uechi-Ryu Karate a few months ago. Great dojo, the director of training has done a lot of consulting for police agencies and such. Everyone is very friendly and also takes training seriously.
    The approach is traditional with kata and lots of technical work balanced out by sparring and consideration to what happens when the SHTF and technique can go out the window.
    I like the style because it's close in and a "hard" style with strikes.
    I would like to balance it out with jiu-jitsu after I get a good foundation in what I've chosen to be my core style.

2. Remove Ads

ExSoldier - Krav Maga is an Israeli martial art.

Yoshin Ryu Ju Jitsu, Judo and ghetto experience along with being exposed to just about everything. Now I concentrate on what is the same instead of the differences and considering the application.- George

I have also come to understand that the perfect weapon in personal combat is whatever I'm holding in my hand at the moment. In school, for the very few times I had a concern about a potential threat after school, I always walked (actually: strolled as if I hadn't a care in the world while maintaining condition orange) I did so with a rolled section of the Miami Herald's local section under my arm. Sensei showed us a way to make that into an extremely efficient kubotan type instrument. It works!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Chinese Kempo Karate (basically Kajukenbo) was my first style and it was all about eye gouging, groin crushing, knee stomping, and general street tough mayhem. Learned some good stuff (best lessons were how to turn on my inner animal) but it didn't take me long to realize that my first response to an attack being to tear a random soft tissue part loose will get my teenage butt in a sling right-quick.
    My second was art was Takahashi-Ryu Karate Do (Goju Ryu) and I learned some good stuff there as well. While my Kajukembo instructor was fond of disrespecting "that traditional garbage", I learned that newer it seems, the older it tends to be if you really look. Only so many ways to efficiently hurt people with your body and mankind has been at it for quite a while, after all.
    Third, and best IMO, was Small Circle Jujitsu. This sensei was strictly street defense application of techniques that you are comfortable with. Yes, you had to know your locks, throws, etc but he wanted you to make the best martial art to meet your own needs, body type, and personality. I was the big guy with the long limbs that made a good uke because I grunt a lot when I get hit or flung around. Open workouts on Saturdays from 10-2 bought in a huge gamut of different styles so we picked and chose from about everything out there because we had some of the best mats in town.
    During this time I was also doing the Brazilian Jujitsu/MMA stuff on the side with my buddy and training with his mom who was a 20 year student and multi-art black belt in various Filipino styles. I also worked out with a Wun Hop Kun Do guy from work who studied directly under Prof Dacascos pretty regularly. At this point I was basically working as a server and hitting the mats 5-6 times a week for at least 1-2 hours on top of my daily workouts at home.
    Did some more Kempo for a bit at a McDojo in Wisconsin and worked out with some Capoeira people while I was there.
    More Small Circle Jujitsu before moving to start my business.
    Kajukenbo again for a while. Emperado system with some Prof Buell tossed in to even things out. Very hard-hitting and capital "B" Brutal. Spent a lot of time with some truly glorious bruises and generally had a blast.
    Started on working my bits and pieces around with a good friend to finally distill my stuff into what I'm really looking for. Learned why I chose the stuff I chose and dug back into the ol' B box to make sure I wasn't missing any hidden gold.
    More Kempo with a different instructor. Some goodies but way too much (and many) forms and random esoteric weapons.

I have a black belt in Kenpo Karate. I have been training since 1987. I taught for many years. Now I teach defensive tactics to the guys in my PD. I chose my school because the owner didn't give out black belts like hot cakes. There were very few black belts in my school.

It has definately helped me in my law enforcement career. It has instilled great confidence. Yet, I never underestimete anybody. The head instructor of my studio is a very unassuming man, but deadly.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about 2 years. Earned a blue belt and competed in a couple tourneys before my son was born two years ago. I'd really like to get back in it in the near future. I lift weights regularly and was always in pretty good shape, but BJJ got me in REALLY good shape and taught me a lot.

Most fights are going to the ground. Having a solid grappling background will come in handy. I think if you add some boxing (did that in college) and Muay Thai in there, you'll be pretty much set for unarmed combat.

Unarmed and against one attacker. I don't care who you are or what you study, anyone will be seriously challenged against two committed, even semi-trained adversaries. Three? Forget it...you will likely get the hell beat out of you if they even show one ounce of committing to the fight.

I began training in Jiu-Jitsu and Eskrima at the same time so the empty hand and weapons training all sort of blended together. The weapons training helps tremendous to develop empty hand speed, coordination and learning to working around your center.

I have black sneakers in Run Like Hell
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have black sneakers in Run Like Hell

Love it...but of course, the question becomes what happens when you can't run? What if you are in a place where your exits are blocked and the only option is to fight?

We like to say in kenpo that physical violence is a last resort, and I mean that with my whole heart. The biggest lesson we train with all the time is SA, and staying out of situations that lead to physical confrontations. Especially when I am helping with the little kids and junior students, GETTING AWAY is a primary tactic.

For the same reason that I carry, though, I need to be prepared for the event that I cannot avoid a close-quarters physical confrontation. And that is why I study martial arts.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    ExSoldier - Krav Maga is an Israeli martial art.
    Yup, it teaches you to hurt the other guy more and faster than they can hurt you. I asked my TKD instructor how he likes his class and his first response was to show me his knuckles, and then grinned.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I wouldn't put much weight in various belts. While there are many quality schools, there are so many more other schools that simply hand out belts. Started off with TKD in 1986. Instructor was a former Army drill instructor. Moved in 1996 and found a traditional Japanese jujutsu school on campus. Trained there 'til 2000. Moved again and found another traditional Japanese jujutsu school. The dojo was small, but I loved it. Instructor focused on all aspects of bushido; I learned shakuhachi (flute), shodo (Japanese calligraphy), kenjutsu (sword), and many other aspects of budo. All are great tools for personal development. Perhaps not so much in a modern street fight. Moved again in 2005. Found a Krav Maga school. Love it. If you're looking for a school to train in self defense, I couldn't recommend Krav Maga any higher. Various training drills in aggression, multiple attackers, SA, defense against weapons, how to recover from the ground, etc. It is a modern combat system. You WILL get a workout and achieve some level of fitness if you choose to train. The joke I have with friends I convince to try it out is that if you have to puke, try to make it to the door first. The first class is often quite a shock to most people, regardless of how in shape they may think they are. I was "on vacation" for the first few months after I moved, so I was hitting the gym and running 3 miles every day. That did not prepare me for the some of the agression drills.

With any art, it's about how much you put into it.

Sponsor
    I started studying Krav Maga at a school that claimed to be an MMA studio about six years ago. I also attended their "MMA" sessions. I soon realized that it was a black belt factory that picked up the Krav credentials.(the MMA classes were basically American TKD with some grappling added) It was great fitness training and, for a while seemed to be serious about the Krav. They dropped from the Krav Maga charter after about a year an now call it "Combat skills Technique" training. I no longer attend.

I had the honor of meeting a young Air Force NCO while TDY at Sheppard AB who taught Muy Thai and BJJ. I learned more from him in 3 months than I did in a year at the above mentioned school.

While in Wichita Falls I also had the privilege of sitting in on a couple Sayoc Kali sessions. Not that I can consider this any real training in the discipline, but it certainly opened my eyes to the world of offensive/defensive knife fighting.

All in all, I have enough training to know that I am woefully under trained in unarmed combat. Against someone with no training I would probably be able to extricate myself from danger. (I should also be able to recognize if any antagonist has real skills and retreat to a defensive firing position accordingly! LOL)
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I have been skillfully trained in Tyquanchucknorrisdo. After many years in the dojo I feel confident in my abilities as a lethal weapon. I have spent many nights training with my sensei Mr Miyagi. Most people respect me but all fear me.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    I have been skillfully trained in Tyquanchucknorrisdo. After many years in the dojo I feel confident in my abilities as a lethal weapon. I have spent many nights training with my sensei Mr Miyagi. Most people respect me but all fear me.

Ahhso Glassahoppa, You have truery matsad tha art of Bullshido!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links